“Good for the price” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Alberta
“Good for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Not the fanciest of hotels but it is good for the price. Compared to other hotels I've stayed in around the same price range this one is excellent.
Service was friendly, breakfast was excellent, room was comfortable and nice. The bathtub/bathroom could have been a bit nicer but the room itself was fine. Rooms have microwave, fridge, etc.
We went to Spokane for a shopping trip and I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the location. To get to either Spokane Valley or the North part of town it is a bit of a drive. You are close to the university, park, downtown, hospitals, etc. just not the malls and shopping.
Access to the hotel is a little strange but you get used to it. A lot of one way streets in Spokane!
Other than that we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Cranbrook, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Good location close to I-90. Nice room, good breakfast, friendly staff. Property was full with sports teams but it was quiet at night. Would have no problem staying again when visiting this area of Spokane.

• Stayed March 2014
Wenatchee, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

It's not new, but it was very clean and comfortable. The price was very attractive, and I don't care if the colors are dated - I can't see them when I'm sleeping.

Breakfast was simple but very good.

The staff were all very cheerful and friendly.

We'll be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
spokanecomfort, General Manager at Comfort Inn University District / Downtown, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you for taking time to write a review of the Comfort Inn - Spokane. We appreciate your comments!!

As you may have seen upon your visit, we are in the process of remodeling our guest rooms, just finished a renovation of the indoor pool/ hotub area and are working on the final plans for updating and redecorating the lobby. Our new ownership is working to upgrade the property and our services. We appreciate your input and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Best Regards,
Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

We had a sad personal reason for staying here, my very ill sister who needed to see a specialist whose office is across the street. Unexpectedly, she asked us to remain beyond the time we thought we would be there. Therefore, we did have special needs that might not be so important to everyone.

The most impressive thing was the young woman who greeted us at the reception desk, and who immediately took in my sister's fragile condition. I asked if we could have adjoining rooms so my nephew would be close, but not in the same room. She spent a lot of time looking through her rooms, told me she was just looking for the right combination, and exclaimed with a smile "Perfect!" She gave us rooms on the gold member's floor for the regular price. She pointed out that since one is a disabled access room, they are both more spacious, are in a quiet location at the end of the corridor, and have no rooms above them. Just one floor up is a breakfast room and that floor has a beautiful view of Spokane.

I told her I was an ADA specialist, so would be interested in looking at the details of the hotel's access. She welcomed that, and told me to give them a list, because they would like to make corrections. She even pointed out in advance one thing wrong about the bathroom. I told her it was very unusual for the reception desk to even know what a roll in shower was, let alone know details of the codes. She smiled and said, "I like to know my property very well." What a wonderful, intelligent and tactful young woman!

Next day the staff was just as friendly and accommodating about extending our reservation, not bothering us during the day, etc.

You may think the decor is dated, and the halls and lobby somewhat barn like. But the price reflects that, so in terms of decor "you pay for what you get." However, we found it clean and comfortable. The beds gave us a sound night's sleep and the sheets and pillows smelled wonderful in this non-smoking facility. The breakfast was normal for a combination hot and continental breakfast. We were able to get milk, yogurt, fruit, coffee, bagels, and could have added hot foods and pancakes as well. The reception desk had tasty cookies in the evening.

If you are disabled, you may find some shortcomings in the room, but generally, I think will find it is usable. They are in the process of correcting errors. I'm sure they would welcome suggestions.

An A+ for intelligent, sensitive, helpful staff!

Room Tip: We were given adjoining rooms on the 4th floor. However, some people who don't need it might not...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
spokanecomfort, General Manager at Comfort Inn University District / Downtown, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Thank you for taking time to write of your experience with the Comfort Inn Spokane. We truly appreciate your comments.

I have passed along your kind comments to our front desk staff. Your perceptions are important to us....we strive to give each guest personal service of the highest level.

We have recently been purchased by new owners who are working very hard toward correcting some of the areas you pointed out. We hope at your next visit, hopefully under happier circumstances, we will have the privilege of showing you the new upgrades and improvements.

Thank you again for your kind comments, we look forward to serving you again.

Grandview, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I was looking for a quick overnight stay in something other than another Comfort Inn property in North Spokane when I was making a dash to a meeting farther North the next day. I made this my choice since it was reasonably priced for such a short stay and did not take me significantly out of my way.

Driving up to this place at 1:00 AM was a little disconcerting because the place was so poorly-lit. It reminded me of an old Soviet era apartment complex. It was not welcoming at all from the outside. Additionally, parking was hard to locate (more on that later).

The lobby area was large but dated in appearance. The overnight clerk was very friendly and helpful. Check-in was handled efficiently.

Judging from the multiple floors and spacious hallways, this had been a full service hotel at some point (restaurant, meeting rooms, etc.). I seem to recall it may have been built about the time of the World's Fair in 1974. It appears to be about that age.

Our room was quite small. We were surprised when we opened the door and met with a strong, stale, old tobacco smell (non-smoking room). Both my wife and I are sensitive to cigarette smoke, but we were so tired, we just needed to get to bed. We turned on the AC and the odor dissipated after about half an hour. I suspect this had been a smoking room at some time in the past and just maintained the odor -- or, the room had not been used for a while and the ventilation shut off, allowing old smells to creep through.

The carpet was old.

The AC was a new unit and very efficient. We slept well.

The bed was comfortable. linens were clean. Towels were clean. Again, the room was small and if we had been forced to stay longer then the 7 hours we were there, I would have sought a larger, more comfortable room. As is was, we just slept, used the shower and left.

The breakfast area is on the top floor...probably where an old restaurant was located. The room was quite spacious with a good view of the city (though there is nothing to see nearby as it is a light industrial area). The breakfast options were pretty complete, including waffles, sausage and gravy, eggs and breakfast meat in addition to the usual breads, cereals, etc. Foods were hot and replenished frequently. The attendant was very friendly and efficient, asking if we needed anything else.

On parking, when I awoke in the morning and looked outside, I noticed a virtually empty parking lot at the rear of the hotel. I am not sure how you would get there from your arrival at the front of the hotel, and there were no indications that parking was available in the rear. Just keep in mind there is parking in the rear (with an entrance to the hotel).

The hotel needs updating. I was bothered by the stale tobacco smell on arrival in my room. That needs to be fixed (probably new carpets, etc.). The AC did clear the air however.

I am not sure I will stay at this property again unless I am in the same situation as this trip. I prefer to stay at another property in Spokane Valley, a few miles away. However, for those wishing to be closer to downtown and the North-South travel routes at a somewhat lower room rate, this may be fine.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
British Columbia Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Beds were comfy, is just a little bit out of the way, hot tub jets didn't work properly, breakfast was above average, asked for a room so I could see my vehicle due to the previous smash and grab review which really scares me as it just happened to me at the comfort inn north division too $1800 worth of Christmas presents stolen, smash n grab :(( just awful and makes you take precautions next time. There was a maintenance man on duty and cameras here. Got this room for free with choice rewards but they charged me $16 for a roll away bed which I thought was kind of steep but overall was a good stay. I will check some of the other hotels next time just to be more closer to downtown or restaurants/stores ect, working hot tub, this hotel seems to be in a more run down, poor area of town, but we all did have a good sleep.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
spokanecomfort, General Manager at Comfort Inn University District / Downtown, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments, we appreciate them. We would like to assist you next time you have packages in your vehicle, we are happy to store them in our secure lockers for your convenience.

This is one of the many complimentary services we offer our guests.

Thank you again, we appreciate your comments and your business.

Best Regards,
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We booked this place few hours before checking in and it was one of the cheapest options on hotels.com. The staff was friendly, room was clean, parking was easy and it was close to the freeway. Another reason we picked to stay here was for its free breakfast - save cost & time.

One negative thing was the heater in the room was kinda loud, but I eventually was able to tune it out.

I would give it a 4* partially because I was able to book it for cheap.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn University District / Downtown? Share your experiences!