We had 2 one night stays a week apart here in July 2013. Overall, the property is pretty nice. It's pleasing from the outside and the location is good (better than where we usually stay in Spokane when we go for our son's medical appointments). Love the fact that the pool area is open 24 hours; excellent spot for letting kids who have been cooped up in a car expend energy.
Our first stay was on a Sunday night. When my husband checked us in, he was presented with a bottle of water and a bag of chips or popcorn for each of us registered to the room. We were so surprised and I congratulated myself on picking this new place for us to stay. Additionally, we enjoyed fresh cookies a couple of times in the evening.
We got to our room and it was great. I'd reserved a larger room, #144. Two queen beds, nice TV, plenty of room for the 4 of us to move around. We were all so happy! We ordered pizza from a local place (excellent, by the way), went swimming, and then to bed after a quick walk to Walgreens (24 hrs, right next door) and back for some things we'd forgotten.
Breakfast the next morning was perfect, with some bacon and eggs, biscuits & sausage gravy, a waffle station, some fruits, breads, and so on. Had breakfast and went on our merry way.
After such a great first experience, we were excited for our next stay. When we checked out my husband made a reservation and asked for the same room for our return trip on the coming Friday.
We were back at the hotel 4 short days later for the second stay. When checking in, my husband was informed that Room 144 was not available, so we were given another on the first floor (after rejecting the 3rd floor). Room 147 was our location this time around. It was quite a bit different than the first stay. It was clean enough, but the room itself was smaller, the furniture older and more dinged up, and just not what we were expecting. Additionally, we didn't receive the bottled water and bagged goodies that we had on the first trip, and my husband was told that was only on weekdays when he asked.
After checking in we discovered that our window would not close completely enough to lock. Clearly a concern on the first floor, and on any floor really, when you have a small child. Neither room that we stayed in on our separate trips had any kind of bar, stop or even dowel to put in the track to prevent the window from being opened further. That is a major security issue in my opinion.
Given the size of the room, I decided that we needed to visit the front desk. I felt that the rate we were being charged was too much (I believe it was the same as the larger room we had initially thought we reserved). We brought up that we were dissatisfied with the smaller room and disappointed with the fact that the room we thought we'd reserved was unavailable to us. The clerk explained that the larger room had been unreservable when we checked out, as it had already been reserved 2 months prior. She did give us a small discount on our room, and called maintenance to deal with the window issue. They showed up quickly and managed to get it closed enough to lock, and were polite while there.
We went out to dinner on this trip and returned for an evening of swimming. The pool and hot tub were clean both times, and the swimming area was nice. On the second trip the chlorine in the water was extremely strong, so much so that my eyes watered almost constantly the whole time we were in there. I appreciate the fact that they were trying to keep the water sanitary, but it was uncomfortably strong that night. (Hot tub is great for tired travelers!)
Breakfast the next morning was somewhat disappointing. There were no scrambled eggs or bacon, no biscuits & gravy. The only real protein available was hard boiled eggs, otherwise it was a very carb-heavy breakfast. I realize that pastries and breads are easy to put out and most people like them, but some people are on restricted diets and a carb-y meal is not ideal. For instance, one of our sons has Type 1 diabetes, and the amount of insulin that he would have had to take to eat even a basic breakfast on that trip would have been considerable.
What we take from our two separate stays is that it's better to stay on weekdays, and you definitely want the one larger room. The breakfasts are better and you get the nice little check in surprises. The second stay wasn't *bad*, but the first stay was better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Location! Location! Location! Location is exactly what you'll get when staying at the Quality Inn Oakwood. This North Spokane hotel is ideally located just minutes away from Whitworth University, Eagles Ice-A-Rena, NorthTown Mall, Dwight Merkel Sports Complex and Joe Albi Stadium. Only five miles from downtown Spokane, Gonzaga University, the INB Performing Arts Center, Spokane Convention Center and is 12 miles from the Spokane International Airport. Enroute to Mt. Spokane Ski Resort, Wandermere Golf Course, and Deer Park, WA, the Quality Inn Oakwood is the perfect location for the outdoor enthusiast. You can also enjoy plenty of free guest parking, great shopping and dining that surround the Oakwood's convenient location next door to Walgreens and Costco. Full-service features and amenities include: • Free Q Corner Cafe Breakfast featuring daily hot items! • Free coffee and fresh-baked cookies every evening! • Free weekday newspaper • Free local calls • Free high-speed Internet access • Pet Friendly...We love our furry guests! Guests are invited to take advantage of these 24-hour services: • Indoor heated pool and hot tub. • Exercise facility • Business center and fax service • Gift shop • Coin-op laundry facility Business travelers will appreciate in-room data ports and voice mail, and the convenience of a 24-hour business center located in the lobby with access to a computer and copy services. Fax service is available at the front desk. This Spokane, WA hotel specializes in making any event a success. Banquet and meeting facilities are available to accommodate a variety of events and business functions. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, the Quality Inn Oakwood is the perfect place to stay when visiting the Spokane, Washington area. Make us your home away from home. We're confident that you'll enjoy your stay, and experience the friendliest staff in Spokane! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Choice Hotels, Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Otel and Venere so you can book your Quality Inn Oakwood reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quality Inn Oakwood Hotel Spokane
- Quality Inn Spokane
- Quality Inn Oakwood Spokane
- Spokane Quality Inn