“It's Nice, but not that nice...” 3 of 5 stars

Salish Lodge & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6501 Railroad Ave. S.E., Snoqualmie, WA 98065-1109   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Snoqualmie
Seattle
“It's Nice, but not that nice...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We've stayed at the Salish before, but we hadn't been for quite a while. The pluses- beautiful setting, nicely appointed rooms with the signature whirlpool tubs, and the spa. The massage at the spa was excellent. The minuses- some features of the room are looking tired such as rust marks on the bathroom ceiling, bubbles in the paint in the bathroom from a leak sometime in the past, slightly tired pillows. Cheap coffee mate packets sit next to the Keurig coffee maker. You see what I mean? It's got a beautiful coffee maker system and top quality coffee and cheap coffee mate to put in it. I am trying to remember exactly, but I think they had separate potential charges for specialized pillows, bath butler preparations, resort fees, ect. The restaurant is nice, but quite expensive. One strange practice: the room service menu is now on the television, so you have to turn the tv on and get real close to it to review the menu. This is strange and not in any way luxurious. All and all, it's a nice place to stay, but when I want to splurge, this would probably not be my go-to place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
ManageratSalish, Manager at Salish Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback. It is with this feedback that we can continue to improve our services!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Federal Way, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My Christmas present from my husband was a night at the Salish Lodge as we had never been. We got there right at 4, check in time and our room wasn't ready. There were quite a few of us waiting for rooms. We had to sit in the lobby for a half hour.

The room itself was gorgeous, comfortable, attractive furnishings, big tub and a view of the river. We left to go a restaurant in town where we had a reservation but before we left noticed that I had forgotten to pack a needed piece of medical equipment.

We went to our dinner, then my husband had to drive all the way back home to get it (45 minutes each way). While that was nobody's fault but our own, that in combination with getting our room late made it pretty much a wasted day.

When we got back to our room, the blinds had been drawn and the radio was playing background water noise. A lovely turn down service we were not expecting so it almost felt like a violation.

We got up in the morning and took a bath in the giant tub. The bed was like sleeping on clouds. Now that it was daylight we could see the view, which was a hydroelectric plant out one window and the water out of the other.

We didn't see one child the whole time, which was great since this was a romantic getaway for us.

Would love to go back some day. The valet service was stellar.

Room Tip: We were in room 308, which had a view of the plant, you need to ask for a room that has more of a wa...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! While I am so sorry for the delay in your experience, and the unexpected turndown service, I am pleased you both had a tremendous time!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We had a lovely time at Salish Lodge for our wedding anniversary. Our river view room with fireplace, large whirlpool tub was a great space to spend a romantic weekend. The proximity to the falls was amazing, for the views from the hotel but also being able to hike down to the base of the falls. We enjoyed the bath butler service for our tub (although we were brought the wrong bath butler assortment) and found the room service staff to be quite helpful (we had a leftover pizza from the Attic that we wanted to eat for lunch, and room service heated it up for us and brought it back to our room). Massages at the spa were top notch and having access to the Jacuzzi, steam room, sauna etc was a nice treat that we made good use of. The best meal of the stay was dinner in the Dining Room where we had the best seat in the house - next to the roaring fire. The staff brought us out a complimentary dish of sorbet for our anniversary which was a nice touch. My only complaint about the weekend was the wedding parties that were there - TWICE during the advertised tea/cookie hour we were intertupted by wedding parties who told us in no uncertain terms that we needed to leave so they could take photos. Especially since this tea service is only for one hour, and it's included in the *additional* daily resort fee that one *must* pay -- I felt like this was truly unfair and inconsiderate to guests paying to stay at the resort. There isn't much common space at the lodge, so getting kicked out of the one common space felt rather rude.

Room Tip: The river view rooms are beautiful!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
ManageratSalish, Manager at Salish Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback. Our Library is a place to be utilized by all of our guests, and never an area to be privately held. If this occurs again, please advise a staff member and we will work to promptly correct the situation. I am pleased to hear about so many other aspects of your stay! We look forward to seeing you again very soon!
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My girlfriend and I travelled by public transport from Seattle to Snoqualmie, where we had booked one night at Salish Lodge as a bit of luxury in the midst of a 3 week holiday round the US and Canada. We came to Snoqualmie as we are huge Twin Peaks fans. I was a little worried it would be hard to get to as we don't drive, we are a same sex couple, and we also worried we may not fit in as it is an expensive spa hotel and this was unusually extravangant for us. I can happily say that the staff at Salish Lodge gave us such a warm and charming welcome, we felt immediately at home. The room was beautiful, the whole experience of the place was one of being rocked gently to sleep deep inside the bark of a Douglas Fir Tree. We felt safe and warm, and absolutely pampered. I hope we will one day return to this wonderful place for a longer stay. A lot of the reviews we read before we stayed seemed to complain of the views from the rooms. We could see the top of the falls, but more than this, the deep roar of the waterfall is constantly there like a heartbeat, and brings a strength and a beauty to the place I have never felt before anywhere else. The view from the hotel grounds is out of this world, and I cannot emphasise enough how magical Snoqualmie and particularly Salish Lodge is. Thank you to all the staff who made our trip so perfect, and for making us feel so welcome. (The only reason we dropped a star for quality of sleep was due to thinking about Twin Peaks as we tried to sleep!)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow, we are so thrilled to hear about your amazing experience. We are pleased that the staff was so accommodating & service outstanding! We can't wait for your next visit!
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Just returned from our really expensive overnight getaway. Our friends had come before and raved about their experience and convinced us to come with them and do a couples getaway….The website looked great and despite the priciness of it all, we splurged….I now regret spending that much for the experience we had.

First of all, the steam room in the spa was out of service, that was pretty disappointing. Second, we had asked for a table with a view when we booked our dinner (over a month in advance) and we did not get a nice table. We were looking forward to dinner in the restaurant. The restaurant was out of three of the items we tried to order. Also, the service was not on par with a fine dining restaurant, it was slow, inattentive and it wasn't our server's fault that the kitchen was out of so much, but that was really disappointing as well.

After our dinner, we tried to hang out in the library and have a drink and the cleaning staff started vacuuming..yes it was late, but not too late..it was a Saturday night.

On the plusses, the rooms are nice, beds are super comfortable, real fireplaces in the room, the jacuzzi tubs are awesome, and the setting is beyond compare--especially if you watched Twin Peaks.

I think it was a staffing issue and would probably give it another try if I lived in the area, but I wouldn't make the trek down again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
ManageratSalish, Manager at Salish Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We will begin to investigate the shortfalls associated with the service, and work to take action to remediate them in the future. I know this does not change the experience you have had, but we will work diligently to improve our services for future guests. We hope to see you again soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I was in the Seattle area for the holidays with my partner and decided to spend a night at the Salish lodge to give him a very Pacific Northwest experience. Unfortunately we had a sort of mixed experience.

The pros:
(+) We paid for a view room and I think it is well worth it. You literally step outside and you are standing above the water fall (see one of the pictures attached). It was gorgeous and I highly recommended paying the upcharge for one of those rooms.
(+) The room is very charming. I loved the bed, the big jacuzzi tub, and the fireplace. Unlike some of the other reviewers our room was perfectly toasty.
(+) We had drinks in the Attic (their bar) and they were both fantastic. Check out the Salish Honey Bee (or any of their drinks with the honey from their local hives). My partner had the Honey Ale and enjoyed it so much he bought two bottles to take with him.
(+) Dinner - The wine menu at the restaurant is fantastic. The food menu was also very good and I was very happy they had a gluten free menu. Execution was great and overall I was happy with my dinner.

Most of the cons have to do with the underwhelming service. I subscribe to the theory that you get what you pay for and I have different expectations for a $200 meal than I do for a $50 meal. Many of my critiques of the Salish Lodge service is that they are charging a premium price and offering average or (in some cases) below average service. If our overall bill had been about 30% less I might not have even noted this critiques - but they do...so I will.

(-) The rooms (in particular the bathroom) could use a refresh. They seemed a bit outdated.
(-) We made dinner reservations for 7:30pm. We realized that we were hungry earlier so called to see if we could move our reservation to 7pm. We were informed they were sold out and this was not possible. Not a big deal...but then we arrived at 7:30 and had to wait. And then when we got into the restaurant it was less than half full. We had a fantastic seat so I will assume the small wait was so they could give us that seat - I still do not understand not accommodating the earlier dinner reservation.
(-) The next morning when we arrived for breakfast, we were asked if we made a reservation. We were thrown off we needed to make a breakfast reservation as well...and were told it would be a 15 minute wait. When we were seated, there were about four other people in the restaurant. We were confused once again at the wait.
(-) I think the breakfast prices are a bit ridiculous. Most of the plates were $20+ and the fact they have a split plate charge of $5 for their regular meal and $20 on their $37 meal is in poor form. Once again, if you are charging premium prices - if I want to split my plate that should be an easy request to accommodate that you do not nickle and dime me for. I have a gluten allergy so could only have one or two of their plates which probably speaks to why I was underwhelmed....but my partner was underwhelmed as well (and he can eat anything).
(-) They offer a one page pillow menu in the rooms that I was very excited about. After dinner, we called and ordered a lavender pillow and a body pillow and was promised it would "be right up". After waiting 45 minutes I called back and the front desk lady apologized profusely, explained there was an emergency and that they would bring the pillow immediately. We had been ready to go to sleep for about a half hour at this point, but agreed to wait. After another 15 minutes I called and requested her to cancel the order and to radio the person bringing them so they didnt wake us up in a half hour by bringing the pillows 90 minutes after we ordered them. When we left our room in the morning we saw the pillows thrown on the floor outside our room.

We enjoyed our time at the Salish Lodge, but it wasn't an exceptional enough experience to make me in any rush to go back. Many of my friends have asked about it and I tell them - check it out, but not for more than a night or two, go when you can find a special deal, and have low expectations.

Room Tip: I think the view rooms of the waterfall are well worth it.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you first and foremost for your lengthy feedback. This is very helpful to us in our consistent efforts to improve our service and product. We will immediately begin to investigate and work to remediate the challenges that you experienced. It is our sincere hope to see you again soon in the Lodge & for an experience that is memorable for all the right reasons.
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Stayed at Salish Lodge for a company retreat for two nights in early October. It's an easy 30-40 minute drive from Seattle yet you feel much further away. I enjoyed the fireplace and fall view from my large room. The decor and lighting is a bit on the dark side but recently updated and quite comfortable. Our meeting facilities were great as were our meals. Also enjoyed a very good massage at the spa. All in all, a very nice spot for a quick get away.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the falls.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! We look forward to your next stay!

Been to Salish Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!