“"American Food Culture Favorite"” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Californian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Eastern Washington
“"American Food Culture Favorite"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The parking lot is full. The locals have landed. These are good signs for a restaurant, especially at breakfast, and breakfast is this joint's strongest suit.
Our eggs were cooked perfectly, great sausage, good homefries and good coffee (the deal breaker). The staff looked like they were hired out of Actors' Equity, and on a weekday, we had no wait time. Be prepared to wait on weekends. Food value was good. We will return.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Severna Park, Maryland
“Surprised its voted #1 in Snohomish. Stale cinnamon roll.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

We were really excited to try this place out. It is voted #1 in Snohomish county and other than the fact that you should not walk away hungry, I'm not sure why. We got the French dip and the Reuben, neither of us were impressed. To be honest, I am a little picky about how proteins are prepared. Texture is everything, if it is tough, grisly and not lean (a lot of fat) I do not care for it. This lacked flavor in the beef and was cut really thick. It was tough and a little hard to chew. The Reuben was uninspired and one side of the sandwich mostly filled with sauerkraut. The fries served were so greasy that I could only eat a couple.

The service was not that great, I understand that our waitress was prepping for the next day but we were never offered drink refills until we were finished eating.

The cinnamon roll, I have to tell you this is the greatest disappointment. It is huge and it looked awesome but it was so stale and old that even popping it in the microwave to warm it up didn't help soften it. I will say this though, if it was fresh and just out of the oven, I can see where it would be awesome. The flavor is really good, the icing is really good. But we didn't get a warm ooey gooey yummy cinnamon roll. We got a cold, really stale days old roll. Very disappointing.

I doubt I would go there again.

I will say this, the portions are huge and the prices are reasonable. We didn't have a great experience but with the right meal and fresher rolls this place could be really good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Seattle
“Lots of food (but nothing particularly special)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you're hungry for a filling breakfast, Matby Cafe is a good place to go. Neither my wife nor I could finish a recent breakfast. Eggs, plenty of red potato hash browns, and a fresh biscuit filled up our plates. The food was good, it was all fresh and hot, but there really wasn't anything to distinguish the meal. A lot of people rave about the cinnamon rolls. They are gigantic. They are covered with a ton of frosting, but the rolls themselves are pretty plain. Would we go there again? Yes if we were in the area, but the Maltby is about a 45 minute drive for us and there are better places closer to home.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Snohomish
“Out of the way gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

They have great breakfasts and famous cinnamon roles. You can tell it is a good restaurant because sometimes you have to wait

Irvine, California
“Our Favorite Breakfast Place!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our Son & his Girlfriend picked us up at SeaTac Airport & my Hubby insisted we go right to the Maltby Cafe. We used to live in the area for 18 years and frequented the Restaurant with out Kids on weekends. It's been 10 years since we have been back and it hadn't changed. The Cafe still has the same warm atmosphere and all the Meals were great. The home made Biscuits and Bread with Marionberry Jam is is awesome. The portions are huge, so go prepared. It's a little out of the way, but well worth it.

Visited December 2012