“It works” 3 of 5 stars
Review of City Center Best Rates Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shelton
City Center Best Rates Motel
You added City Center Best Rates Motel to your Saves list
128 E Alder St, Shelton, WA 98584   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Shelton
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“It works”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Before giving the review, I’ll point out that I prefer staying in the center of towns. I don’t want to be right off the highway or by the airport, I want to be in the town (or city, whatever the case happens to be). This little motel served that purpose, allowing us to explore the streets of Shelton before tucking in for the night. The proprietor was very nice and had an odd sort of humor about him; he certainly took the whole motel thing with a grain of salt, relaying a few good stories of the interesting characters you see coming through this type of motel. The rooms were definitely dated as far as style goes (although I found that a charm in itself). Everything worked as needed, price was right, coffee maker was available for the morning, and the sleep was sound.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Longview, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Four simple words: DO NOT STAY HERE.

Firstly, the advertised rate of the first page of their website states CLEARLY: "Special - $39.95 per night, double occupancy." That should have been the first clue.

Secondly, it is NOT is a good part of town...which is pretty obvious, since Shelton is a very small town.

Thirdly, when I checked in, my card was run for a significantly larger amount than the advertised rate. The manager argued with me, telling me that the website was done by "the owner's wife in California, and she has no clue what goes on here." He refused to refund the difference. - a difference of $30 per night, plus tax. Now, if the room had been worth that kind of money, I wouldn't have been so adamant so much about it.

Fourthly, when trying to enter my room, I discovered someone had already done so FOR me. The door was wide open. Not simply unlocked. OPEN. Sitting on the steps next to my room, in front of the room next door, was a young gal, smoking. She reeked of pot. I immediately went to the manager and asked him what was going on with the room. He finally, GRUDGINGLY, left the office to come to the room. His excuse was that the maid probably left the door open to "air it out and what was my problem." He further stated, "what did I want - good luck, it was the last room left in the whole town."

Fifthly, the room is nasty - nothing like what is posted on the website. I am 5'2" tall. I can touch the ceiling, barely stretching my arms, the ceiling is so low. The walls and corners are all cracked. The carpet is gross. The arm chair was so filthy and torn (literally, stuffing coming out of it) that the only good that there was to it was using two of their wash cloths to move it under the door handle to act as a lock, because the door lock was a flimsy $5 Walmart interior door lock! The curtains are torn, stained and have no hem...someone cut the bottoms and didn't bother to hem them. The "linens" did not match and were very thin. The towels in the bathroom...well, they are not worthy of using to bathe farm animals. They are frayed, they are, shall we say "colorful," since none matched in color, pattern or size?! The room was supposed to have a "garden tub." There was no tub, simply a claustrophobic shower stall. The shower mat consisted of an indoor/outdoor piece of carpet. The caulking was cracked, discolored and partially missing. The light above the shower stall was full of dead bugs. The TV was an adventure....some channels you got the picture and no sound. Some channels you got the sound and sporadic picture. Some channels you got the background music of the show, but no dialog. However, I will say the wifi worked....which leads me to #6.

Sixthly, the night's rest was non-existent. For me, or obviously, for the occupant in the next room. SHE had a barnstorm business booming. At least once an hour, she had a visitor. NOISY visitors. Like the kind you DON'T want to hear through thin walls.

I finally told the manager that I was calling the cops, so I at least could get some sleep. He claimed it was because she had a baby. I stated that the call should be made to CPS then, because babies shouldn't be subjected to that kind of behavior, especially the illegal kind!

I am still awaiting a response to my correspondence with the owner and manager of this establishment. Neither have bothered to respond as yet.

I don't know where positive reviewers of this hotel typically stay, or, if they are friends and relatives of the manager or owner, but in all conscience, I could never, EVER recommend someone stay here - especially with children. If you're on the run maybe...but never for pleasure (unless you have a tryst with the gal in the next room!) or business. This ranks as one of the two worst hotels I've ever stayed in (and I've traveled the world).

Room Tip: BOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE. The Super 8 is a LUXURY hotel, compared to the City Center. And, by the way...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dawn S, Owner at City Center Best Rates Motel, responded to this review, January 29, 2015
The City Center Best Rates Motel,
Due to efforts from previous owners', the new owner, and a new team of hard working dedicated housekeeper's Our motel has made many improvement's, and We would like invite everyone to come see for themselves; We promise you wont be dissapointed !
Gig Harbor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Shelton is a comfortable city and the hotel is ideally located on the edge of downtown. I have stayed in this hotel twice now. The price is right and the rooms are old but clean enough. Unfortunately, my most recent stay was rather unpleasant because of a strong odor of mildew. Maybe it was just our room, but I suspect that all the ground floor rooms have the same problem. The odor permeated all of our clothing so much that even the clothing we didn't wear had to be washed when we got home. I think I will pick a different hotel next time, or at least request a room on the second floor and smell it before I agree to stay.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
gig harbor, wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

We were looking for a small cute town for a little getaway, a place where you could walk to everything. Downtown Shelton has many neat little businesses that could make for a nice time if you like to walk to things as everything's right there! Unfortunately we were on a tight budget for our "getaway," and it was great that City Center Best Rates had an unbelievable rate - just $39 a night! Not sure how they can stay in business with a rate that low. Anyway, at first we were leery, because we usually stay in hotels, not motels. But we found it to be surprisingly done very tastefully for such a low price. There was a lot of art on the walls, and it had all the cleanliness you would expect in a hotel, and I used to own a cleaning business before I moved, so I would know. There were a ton of amenities for the price like microwave, fridge, etc. The place was a little old fashioned and was a little creaky and shaky, but the stay was nice and we enjoyed a Twilight Zone marathon on their nice TV that weekend on the comfy beds. I saw that another reviewer said you had to check out the remote controls, but that wasn't the case with us at all. My husband had to get one from the office, but he didn't have to sign anything, it wasn't complicated, he just got one. The fridge came in very handy too for restaurant leftovers. They also had AC and heat which was a plus. We walked to breakfast the next day at Pine Tree and the food and service there were awesome. The only major complaint is that the internet was a little slow, thank goodness I didn't really need to be online that night. They're not the Taj Mahal, but for a motel, they had the basics I require of friendliness, cleanliness and nicely decorated like home. For anyone on a tight budget , I would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2008

There was no where else to stay and I was too exhausted to drive on to Bremerton. This motel was the only game in town. I was leery when we had to sign out the TV remote. To be frank--this motel is old and the floor isn't level. The doors on the room are new, but the furniture is not. The easy chair had a few too many stains for us so we did not sit in it. The facilities are definately retro. I hadn't seen the salmon color before. There was no wait for the hot water and it never ran out. The towels were decent, not paper-thin. The sheets were printed--a nice change from hotel white--and had NO cigarette burns. The mini-fridge and microwave were a bit old, but worked well. Coffee service in the room offered enough coffee to make a FULL pot of coffee not just four (really just two) cups-- this is always a high point for me. The bed was surprisingly comfortable. Even though it needs new carpet, the carpet seemed to be clean. The bathroom certainly was! If you need a cheap, clean place to sleep, this is fine.

Stayed November 2008
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2004

We love the small town atmosphere. We feel safe and enjoy walking to the movie theatre through the historic area. Its' comfortable, clean, is set up so you can have a full pot of good coffee in your room in the AM., the beds are very good, etc. When we just want to get away from answering our phones,or for just a short getaway, you can't beat the rates.

Been to City Center Best Rates Motel? Share your experiences!