“Amazing, accidental discovery” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Portland, Oregon
“Amazing, accidental discovery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

Driving south from Port Angeles to Portland, at dinner time we used our smartphone to hunt for a good seafood restaurant as we drove by Shelton, WA. The Strip Steak House came up, and it was easy to find. What a great bit of good fortune. At 7:30 on a Wednesday night the place was packed with happy, buzzing customers, and we got the tiny table closest to the bathroom. No problem. Our waitperson, an absolutely charming young woman named "Charlie" (short for Charlene) gave stellar service in spite of the fact that she seemed to be covering the entire room of at least a dozen table with the occasional help of just one gentleman, perhaps the owner. We had a steak and a fish and chips, which came with the standard choices of salads, soups, fries, baked potatoes, etc. Everything was delicious, cooked to perfection, obviously made with fresh ingredients, and done with pride. Salad was exceptional; and I was also able to get the more pricey sweet potato fries substituted for the standard fries or baked potato choices, no questions asked. We regretted being too full for dessert. Surely it would have been a treat.

The thing that sealed the deal, however, was what happened later. I forgot my sunglasses on the table and called from Portland the next day. Charlie, the server, remembered us, said she'd run out to try to catch us to give me my glasses, but we were gone. Cheerfully and competently she took my address and sent the glasses to me. I received them in good condition within a few days. I felt like an old, cared-about friend.

Oh. Don't let me forget to mention the wonderfully whimsical oil painting in the bathroom. I liked it so much I took a quick photo, which I might as well post here too. By a local artist whose name unfortunately I didn't get. The atmosphere at The Strip Steak House on the Wednesday evening we out-of-towners were there was kind of like this painting (without the cat, though): happy, friendly, local folks enjoying each other and the excellent food and drink that the establishment clearly loves providing with great pride.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Whittier, California
“AMAZING!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

The food and service here is amazing! First time i came here it was lunch time and i got their chicken sandwich which is the best ive ever had, now i come back a few times a week so i can try everything in their menu, their fish is great, their steak is the best! Tons of food for the price :)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing hidden gem in Shelton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We have been here several times (we drive 45 minutes one-way) and have always had a great experience. The usual waitress is fantastic, attentive, friendly, and competent. My husband loves to get the sirloin with the salt crust...he says even though it is sirloin it is tender and flavorful. I LOVE their veggie burger!! The fish and chips are also yummy. The garlic fries and the steak fries are both fantastic. Such a great hidden spot in Shelton. Make sure to make a reservation...they are always busy and it is quaint inside.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sacramento, California
“Not great but not bad either”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I have had several lunch meals here in the last year. I was there yesterday and noticed what I thought was a strange odor as soon as we walked in. The place was crowded so I thought maybe it just me. I let it go. The lunch menu had a good variety with prices around $11. The servings were ample portions. I don't think there is much ambiance to the place but I have had three decent lunches there. They must be doing something right.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Shelton, Washington
“Salmon excellence”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Once again, another outstanding dinner at The Strip Steak House. My husband, his mom, and myself had a wonderful tasty meal a couple of nights ago at this casual eatery in downtown Shelton. The special of the evening was Copper River Red salmon from our home town, Cordova, Alaska. I am usually very reluctant to order this in a restaurant since it is rarely cooked to my expectations. I was craving salmon and so caved to the pressure and ordered it. It was sublime. Cooked to a perfect rosy pink, tender and flaky, juicy and absolute wonderful in every way with the bright flavor of a wild red salmon shining through. The serving was generous and I absolutely inhaled it. I chose to accompany it with sweet potato fries, my favorite potato dish ever and The Strip does sweet potato fries like no one else. Perfect as always. Crunchy and tasty. The service was wonderful and efficient as usual. My husband had a huge steak that he pronounced as being excellent and his mom had jumbo prawns, which she absolutely loved. We accompanied it with glasses of the house red cabernet, which was smooth and luscious and a generous pour. All in all another wonderful meal at the Strip. Consistency is what it is all about with eateries and few restaurants can maintain this. I am pleased to say that the Strip has always been consistent with great service, deliciously prepared meals, and wonderful wine. What more could you ask!

• Visited July 2014