“Best Bed and Breakfast EVER!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Lost Mountain Lodge
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   303 Sunny View Drive, Sequim, WA 98382   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Sequim B&B and Inns
mercer island
“Best Bed and Breakfast EVER!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

We booked this weekend getaway as a "babymoon" trip for my husband and I. We are due to have our second child in June and wanted to get away--just the two of us before her arrival. Lost Mountain Lodge advertised a babymoon package on their website and that sparked our interest even more. We had a relaxing drive over to Sequim via the Bainbridge Island ferry from downtown Seattle. Upon our arrival we were warmly greeted and shown to our room where we enjoyed great crab dip, crackers and of course wine for my husband and sparkling pear cider for me! Lisa, one of the innkeepers made us reservations for both nights at 2 wonderful restaurants. Our suite was incredible. Decorated to the hilt with a huge bed, down comforter, granite counter tops in the bathroom and a huge jacuzzi tub built for 2! Our breakfast each morning was beautifully prepared and delicious. Could not have asked for better service, accomodations and relaxation! Can't wait to go back!

• Liked — The incredible suite
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

My boyfriend and I visited the Lost Mountain Lodge as a birthday getaway. After viewing the beautiful pictures online, we were both very excited to have a romantic vacation. When we arrived at the lodge, we were warmly greeted by Lisa, who took the time to explain the use of the hydrotherapy spa and all of the luxuries of the lodge including free movies, beverages, and popcorn. Without this information, we certainly would have missed part of the fun of our vacation! We then sat down with our hostess, and she attentively listened and helped advise and plan desired activities and restaurants for us to visit. She even made my birthday dinner reservation! We then were shown to our room, which was spacious and lovely with the most spectacularly comfortable bed and were presented with wine, crackers, and a seafood spread. In the evening, we padded down in our lodge robes and slippers to the hydrotherapy spa. Under the open sky with twinkling stars, we relaxed and listened to the frogs croaking in the nearby pond. Of all the vacations that my boyfriend and I have taken, this in my opinion, was most wonderful. The staff at the Lost Mountain lodge really extend their hospitality and class to each of their guests. We loved this property so much that my family is planning to rent the largest vacation house this summer. We will definately be back. Thanks!

• Liked — The friendly, relaxed atmosphere.
  • Disliked — Having to go home. :(
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2008

My mother gave my husband a Norelco razor for Christmas which happened to have a free night at an inn sticker on it. I went to the website and found this B & B listed as one of the participating B & B's. The promotion was you get a night free when you pay for one night. I was very excited as my husband and I are expecting our second child and this would be a great getaway before he is born. I called the B & B up and explained the certificate EXACTLY as it told me too and everything was set. When we showed up Lisa gaves us the tour of the main part of the house and then we sat down in the office for the check in process. That's when things went all wrong. When she found out it was a certificate from Norelco she inform me that she doesn't accept those because they don't pay her and I should have told her that it was a Norelco certificate over the phone. She said I told her it was a certificate from I Love Inns (which it also was and that's exactly word for word what the certificate told me to say). She completely made me feel like it was my fault. How am I suppose to know that I Love Inns has two types of certificates. I don't work in the B & B world. She should have asked me over the phone if it was a Noreclo certificate. She also when on and on about how she has staff to pay and how the electric bill and propane bill doesn't take a night off. She did decided to honor the certificate since we were already there, but by this time my hormonal pregnant self felt completely abused. She then took us into our room and explained how to use EVERYTHING. As if I have never burned a Duraflame log and used a childproof lighter before!! She made us feel like we were two years old at times. I asked if she could get us a number to a movie theater since we don't get out to see movies very often it was something we wanted to do. She seemed offended that I didn't want to watch one of the movies in her collection. Later on she brought in our snack, but didn't bring the number. My husband had to go out and ask for it. He did so by knocking on the office door that was opened. He wasn't greeted very warmly and he was even advised of a phone in the kitchen that had a button you could push that would ring them in the office or their bedroom. The funny thing is you have to walk past the office just to get to the kitchen. Not very friendly at all! Later on I went out to ask about the Olympic Game Farm and I did the same thing, knocked on the open office door and said excuse me. (My husband hadn't told me about the phone) She turned around with this look on her face like how dare you interrupt what I was doing. She didn't not seem willing to help me at all. When I asked about the Game Farm she said, "Well that's NOT a place we recommend". I guess my taste in having fun isn't up to par with hers. She did get me the brochure and we had a great time seeing the animals.

Overall the inn is beautiful the breakfast that was prepared by Jason was divine, but I would never stay at this B & B again solely because she was not friendly at all. Her husband was a nice laid back fellow that always had a smile on his face, but it didn't make up for her lack of people skills.

Stayed April 2008
LostMountainLodge, Owner & General Manager at Lost Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, April 14, 2008
Even though the Photo Copy they presented was not a redeemable Gift Certificate for us, we absolutely honored their completely FREE night -- in our nicest and largest suite -- and told the guests that it would not be a problem and we were happy to have them as guests. We believed any misunderstanding about the Certificate had been resolved immediately at check-in to their satisfaction.

Again, we apologize that the guests were offended as this was the first time we had ever seen the type of Photo Copied certificate that they presented at check-in for "payment" of the Free Night. This caught us completely off guard as it was not the serial-numbered, professionally-printed Gift Certificate or standardized, plastic B&B Gift Cards that we normally accept because we are partially reimbursed and that in good faith, we had believed they were using when they called to make their reservation. The company who offered the program with Norelco had instructions that were confusing to both the consumer and the innkeeper. It is most unfortunate that the guest is penalizing us with a negative review when we did give them a Free Night as promised.

Also, it was not our intention to offend the guests in any way by making sure that they knew how to operate everything in their suite. We've had guests have difficulty in the past lighting the wood-burning fireplaces (some close the flues when they are already open or can't seem to figure out the lighters), so we take less than 5 minutes to briefly highlight the special features of their suite or cottage for all guests. In fact, other guests have always told us this was very helpful for them. Our luxury suites are NOT standard hotel rooms and things like hydrospas, steam shower rooms, and coded door locks are explained so that the guests feel comfortable and at home in their suite.

We are sorry the guests had to ask twice for the phone number to the movie theater (it does get busy here during check-in time) and I know my wife pleasantly wrote down the phone number for them as I was in the office area at that time also. She only pointed out our Movie Library to make sure these guests knew where it was and that it was available to them at no charge.

With regard to their comments about the Olympic Game Farm, my wife immediately got up from the desk and went out to our brochure racks to get the information for them. When guests ask us about local attractions, we believe we have an obligation to provide an honest answer based on the feedback that we get from the majority of our guests. Our candor was not a judgment on this couple’s preferences in any way and was meant to be helpful and we are so very sorry that they took this the wrong way.

My wife told these guests about the house phone, so that if they had any questions later that night (we were going out that evening) that they knew how to reach us. They completely misinterpreted this helpful suggestion -- certainly when our office door is open, guests can stop by to ask for assistance anytime. We would never expect a guest to use the house phone to contact us when we are visible or available in the public rooms of the Lodge. Most guests find it comforting to know that if they need anything at all either very late at night or in the wee hours of the morning, they can simply pick up the house phone and reach us.

We are deeply saddened that these guests, for whatever reason, chose to read into or perceive attitudes or judgments "against them" that simply were not there. We know that everyone here went out of their way to serve them and make their stay a special one.

This was a very young couple who perhaps have not stayed in a B&B before. Everyone here is very sorry if they were distressed or inconvenienced in any way.

As both an owner and a manager, I am personally saddened these guests did not give me a phone call and give me the opportunity to respond -- in addition to honoring their free night, I would have gladly given them all of their money back or even offered them a free stay here in one of our kid-friendly cottages after their baby is born.

Dwight Hostvedt
Prescott, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2007

Everything about Lost Mountain Lodge is a breath of fresh air. From the lush treed surroundings, to the spa under the stars, innkeepers Dwight and Lisa provide a relaxing and welcoming environment. The suites are spacious and the beds divine. Each morning the full breakfasts were a tasty combination of all the food groups. I found the eggs dishes and warm spiced fruits particularly appetizing. The afternoon snack hit the spot with tantalizing dips, fruits and wine. The best thing about our experience at the lodge was talking with the innkeepers and their staff, not only were they knowledgable about the area, they were "real" people. The atmosphere of the lodge makes you feel like you belong. The Lost Mountain Lodge is a must visit on the Olympic Peninsula.

• Liked — The innkeepers
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2007

The Lost Mountain has many choices...B&B rooms in the main building, along with 3-4 'cabins.' We stayed in the Guest House, a 2BR, 1BA suite with full kitchen, patio, bbq grill, hot tub. It was fabulous. We cooked breakfast and dinner twice, had all the cooking supplies including many staples (salt, pepper, oil, vinegar, spices, etc.). Welcome from the innkeepers the first day included a bottle of fine WA sauvignon blanc, cheese and crackers, cookies. More cookies the 2nd nite.

The only specific recommendation we have is to use this with a family, as sharing the bath with 4 adults (as we did) can be a bit of a scheduling and privacy challenge. The grounds are very secluded, with deer frequently roaming the grounds.

The owners were very gracious and helpful. We did not try the breakfasts, so no help here on that front. Also, in the off season they have specials to help with the cost.

Highly recommended!!!

• Liked — grounds, amenities
  • Disliked — 1 bathroom
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Stamford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

We just returned from a great trip to the Olympic Pennisula and Lost Mountain Lodge. The inn is lovely and I would highly recommend it. There appear to be limited 'luxury' options in this area and we were lucky to find Lost Mountain Lodge. The owners and staff were attentive to every detail, the inn was beautifully decorated and in lovely grounds - significantly better than any other 'luxury' accomodation in the area. I would definitely return and recommend Lost Mountain Lodge.

• Liked — Room/Decor & Setting
  • Disliked — Too long to check in
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2007

My wife and I are in our early 60's...very active. Lost Mountain Lodge was the most relaxing vacation we have ever had. The accomodations were luxurious. The service staff went overboard. The breakfasts on site could not have been better. In addition, the food at area restaurants was absolutely superb! Lisa directed us to the perfect places to dine...the seafood was divine. The area (northern Olympic penninsula) is wonderful. Present at a glacial lake in the morning and standing on the beach two hours later! We seldom return to a vacation spot, however, we will return to Lost Mountain Lodge. (And our dollars stayed in America...not given to foreigners...who really don't like us anyway!)

Stayed June 2007

Been to Lost Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!