“OK Hotel, Nice Employees, Great Park & Fly Option, BAD Location & Area!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge SeaTac Airport

Save Saved
You added Econo Lodge SeaTac Airport to your Saves list
Econo Lodge SeaTac Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   13910 International Blvd., (Old Pacific Hwy S), SeaTac, WA 98168   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #30 of 34 hotels in SeaTac
Oregon
“OK Hotel, Nice Employees, Great Park & Fly Option, BAD Location & Area!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I booked the "Park and Fly" option with my husband and I staying the night before our trip and then returning back for another night at this hotel. We stayed the first night. We did NOT stay the other night.

Although the hotel is located 2.5 miles from Sea-Tac Airport, the area it is located in felt very unsafe to us. Driving from the freeway off ramp for two miles to the hotel, (at about 5 PM) we saw many prostitutes hanging out at the various convenience stores and on the street corners, many gang looking types hanging out at the convenience stores, fast food joints, and bus stops, and also driving their cars up and down the street, pulling up next to you or behind you and beeping their horn at you and "flashing" gang signs and dirty looks at you.

Right before the hotel there is a huge Islamic Center. For some reason the patrons walking to this center do not use the cross walks a few blocks up to get here and instead walk right out into the middle of the street and expect YOU to stop for them. During the day, we could see them and happily stopped for them, for which they waved at us and were very polite. At 11:00 at night coming back to the hotel, it was very hard to see them and we almost hit them. The same happened with our shuttle driver on our return trip to pick up our car. Apparently this is an ongoing problem and they are "use to it".

Checking in was a bit of a hassle. The phone was ringing off the hook. The lobby was busy with angry people with overcharged room bookings. The front desk clerk had to check us in AND manage all of these people AND all of the phone calls. They had overcharged me for my room. It was suppose to be $65 + Park & Fly and I was charged $95.00 because "the Yankees baseball team were in town and rooms were hard to get." They also forgot to add the "Park & Fly" option. They re-ran my charge card and added more miscellaneous charges. Fortunately I had saved my receipts and got some of the charges dropped. We did not want to go through this again nor stay in the area so we called and cancelled the return nights stay while on our vacation. The gentleman we talked to was LIVID that we we're cancelling, but he did give us a cancellation confirmation #. When we returned from our flight, we were almost charged for this room regardless, because of their confusion. Fortunately I had the cancellation confirmation # and so the night manager removed the charges.

Back to check-in. When you pull up, you can see through the front hotel window that the spa is empty and blocked off. So no spa usage. The lobby was small but fairly clean. The tables were not. The hallway walking to our room was clean, but had a strange musty smell. Our room was a tiny crackerjack box on the 2nd floor that faced the street, hence lots of road noise. The room itself was very clean and tidy, but it also had that faint musty smell. It had a small microwave. There was no kleenex and definitely not enough towels. (They did give us extras, though.) We had a dusty fake flower arrangement as our room table decor.

The bathroom sink, tub and toilet were clean. Showerhead had nice pressure. The coffeepot is on the sink counter. The fridge is located under the bathroom counter, very close to the toilet. This area was not as clean and there were some dents and dings in the door and walls. Linens were all crisp and clean. The bed was awful; old and outdated and sank in the middle. My husband and I did not sleep well and both woke up with backaches. I did not notice any bedbugs.

The outside looks good from driving by, but on the far side of the building facing the park and fly lot, the awning had some rips and tears and was a little bit to be had for. Lots of weeds and trash around this area too. The trash dumpster is also here and was full and stinky. Behind the hotels park and fly lot there are some very seedy run down apartments. There was a very skinny guy hanging around the back awning entrance, twitching & jerking with spasms. I could see drops of blood coming out of his neck, so I went over to check on him to be sure he was OK. I noticed he had intravenous track marks in his neck and arms. I talked with him a bit and got him calmed down and offered him some chips & water but he declined and said he would be OK.

After all of this, my husband and I were very leery about even attempting to go out again into the area and on the road but we were starving and tired of chips and water and needed some supper, so we braved it and went. We took a side street that bypassed most of the problems we ran into on the way here and wound up at a nice SAFE huge mall about 7 minutes away. On our way back we got lucky and stayed next to a cop car all the way back to the hotel. This is where we encountered the people crossing the street at 11:00PM to get to the Islamic Center. Most of them were dressed in black hooded clothing and we could not see them and almost hit them. The cop almost hit them too!! They really need a lit up crosswalk here so these people can go to their center safely and no one gets seriously injured.

I did get to have a nice chat with the manager. He gave me extra towels. I voiced my fears and concerns about the hoodlums & prostitutes around the area and me having to leave my car keys with him for a week and he reassured me that everything, including my car, would be safe. He said that they constantly patrol the grounds and make sure there is no non-hotel guests loitering around. Right before we return he told me they make sure the car has no flat tires or other problems, and they pull the car up front for you. At this point I had no choice but to trust him, and handed them over. We did return to his promises. Our car was very safe and spotless, nothing was touched, and it was right in front! ☺

We checked out early in the morning but did not stay for the breakfast. I did a quick inspection to see what they had. They had a few things out like coffee, muffins, and some cereal bins. Everything looked clean and tidy. Our shuttle van driver was very polite, but very quiet. He played some sort of Indian music along the drive to the airport that actually woke us up swiftly and got us going. He loaded and unloaded our luggage for us. We made sure to give him a nice tip. Along the way, even in the morning hours, we still noticed the prostitutes hanging around at the corners and convenience stores.

Upon our return from our vacation a week later, their shuttle picked us up at the airport. Even though it was 11:45 PM at night, it arrived within 20 minutes. Another quiet but friendly guy who loaded and unloaded our luggage for us. We made sure he got a good tip. On the ride back to the hotel from the airport, again we noticed the gangs, prostitutes, and the people walking right in the middle of the street to the Islamic Center. Our shuttle van driver just drove around them like it was no big deal.

The internet...sucked. It was VERY slow, slower than dial up. It's like this throughout the entire hotel. If you need to do some computer work I suggest you bring some sort of gadget so you can connect to your own internet.

I would use their park and fly option again because of how they took care of my car, but I would NOT stay here again due to all of the reasons mentioned above. I would pay the extra $20-$30 and stay up the road on the other side of the freeway, across from the airport at one of the other hotels in the safer part of town.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back of the hotel on the 3rd floor to avoid the road noise facing the fron...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Circleville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We had a group staying Friday night after a cruise, ready for a Saturday morning flight. The people at the hotel were very helpful and friendly. They gave us info about taking the city bus downtown (Seattle) to go sightseeing, and helped with food choices. There is not a lot around there, but you could get middle eastern food or walk 4 blocks to a few other places and a grocery store. They got us and all our luggage to the airport to accommodate our schedules. The rooms are clean and had a fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. Breakfast was basic but had several choices-cereal, toast, muffins, and boiled eggs with juice and coffee. It was a great value for us. It seemed to be a pretty busy hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Lexington, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Was there for a weekend recently. Flew in on Fri night into SeaTac... So took econo lodge's free airport pickup.. staff were good, decent queen, no smoke room on 2nd floor. dropped me at airport next day for car rental pickup..not too far from airport.. value for money, i think, good and spacious bathroom

Room Tip: good and spacious bathroom.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

We stayed one night as part of a "Park, Stay, Fly" promotion. Considering the price we paid for a night's accommodation and a week's parking we were pleased. The room was basic but tidy and clean. Reception was courteous and friendly and the shuttle was prompt. We had no concerns and will stay at the Econo Lodge next time we have an early flight out of Seatte.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

Room was dirty. I reserved a non smoking room and they gave me a smoking room and would not change it. Room was not stocked with toilet paper or kleenex. Front desk agent was on the phone the entire time I was checking in and kept making me hold. At 7am a strange man started knocking on my door, not dressed in a hotel uniform. I called the front desk and they told me they thought I had ordered room service. I had not and as a woman staying alone in a room on the first floor, I did not feel comfortable with a strange man knocking at my door in the morning and the front desk being so nonchalant about it. I will absolutely avoid this hotel in the future and would encourage others to do the same.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Aldergrove, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

The room wasn't very clean and the bed was super uncomfortable. The shuttle to the airport and the park and fly program was a plus.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Spokane, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

We had no problems with this hotel. It was clean, cheap, and decent, the staff was friendly, and it was near the museum of flight, where we were headed the next day. This was actually an unexpected extension of our trip to Seattle, and we had already checked out of the hotel we stayed in for the rest of the trip, so this place worked out perfectly for us.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge SeaTac Airport? Share your experiences!