“...SEATAC 11pm - and that's the last available room.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sandstone Inn

You added Sandstone Inn to your Saves list
Sandstone Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19225 International Blvd, (Old Pacific Hwy S), SeaTac, WA 98188 (Formerly Econo Lodge)   |
Ranked #28 of 34 Hotels in SeaTac
Schaffhausen, Switzerland
“...SEATAC 11pm - and that's the last available room.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

well, in that very special situation i would consider booking again. and it's really a time-travel thing. slash back into the early 80ies...an AC at the noise of a plane at take off, a 3-inch-thick carpet and a tv from the very same year that saw the L.A. olympics itself. ok, we had that at our stay: the original booking at the fancy hotel get lost anyhow, they couldn't find our booking and the only room at a 30mls range was in the sandstone. we survived - but for a 100 bucks it was a strange night. breakfast was OK as also the airport-transfer.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Lynden, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The reviews I read before agreeing to book this room were generous to say the least. I suppose we all have different standards, but we need to be able to rely on each other here. I booked my room only the day before this trip, so my selections were limited, and I made my choice based on the reviews I read here. My daughter and son-in-law are across the hall and their report confirms my own.

This is, without question,the worst hotel/motel/inn I've stayed in ... well, in years, if not ever. There is an odor reminiscent of smelly socks or tennis shoes in my room. The television is an old tube type. probably 20 years old, and it works, but it is barely watchable on about 5 channels. Check the photos. The wireless internet is so weak I cannot connect to it. I'm in the last room at the end of the hall, and I get only one bar of signal. I am actually getting a stronger signal from the Days Inn that is half a block away, but that wifi is password protected.

The windows are single pane, and don't do much to block the noise. Beyond that, the windows are filthy. I am certain they have not been washed in many years. The Sandstone Inn is on Highway 99/International Blvd. which is a major arterial to Seattle Tacoma airport, so road noise is really bad. There are no screens on the windows, so that means I need to use the antiquated air conditioner unit. (Again, see the photo) It is dirty, cracked, noisy and missing control knobs, so the unit is basically on, or off. The bed sheets are clean, and the bed is fairly comfortable.

The laminate is coming off the nightstand next to the bed. When I opened the drawer to see what was inside, there was nothing but a long black woman's hair, and a phone number someone had written on the bottom of the drawer.

The bathroom had been wiped down (I think) but not very well. There was someone else's hair on the counter and stuck to the shower wall. The tray holding plastic drinking cups and coffee cups had not been touched. There are old coffee stains on it, and when I move a coffee cup, I can see the dust ring where the cup was. There are drops of who knows what on the bathroom countertop. I don't even want to touch it. I have refused to sit on the toilet seat.

I know all rooms are non-smoking these days, but that is of little effect when the person who does the laundry smokes in the laundry room. All the towels and washcloths had the stench of stale cigarette smoke.

The breakfast is pathetic. There is coffee, of course, hot water, some bread to make toast, and a tray of some cellophane-wrapped danish-type objects that look old and dry. There are two canisters of dry cereal, some paper bowls and plastic spoons, but I could not find any milk. I finally asked another gentleman if he knew were it was. He pointed me to a mini fridge on the floor with an old microwave sitting atop it. Please see the two fridge photos. I did not even want to touch it, but when I opened it, I was so appalled at what I saw that a promptly closed it and left my dry cereal in its paper bowl sitting there.

This place is in need of a HUGE remodel/upgrade. There is clearly NO pride of ownership, and no pride on the part of the staff that runs the place. If you're looking for a bed and place to park your car for the weekend, it will provide you that, but for $100 a night, I have stayed in MUCH cleaner places, and I expect a LOT more than what I got with this room/breakfast. Goodness for $60-$75 a night, I've stayed in cleaner and more modern places than this. I will not be back, and I will not recommend this Inn to anyone else.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Based on poor reviews we had read we were hesitant to stay here. We decided to anyway because the price was the lowest we could find and we only needed it for one night. We need not have worried. The hotel was clean and the breakfast was fine. It is a very good buy for the money. Don't go here expecting Holiday Inn Express and then complain about it. It is a simple, clean hotel for a great price for the area.

The airport shuttle was timely. We were very surprised at how busy the airport was and were very glad we allowed 2 hours.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kitimat, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

If you are used to some pretty fancy digs, large rooms, lots of amenities, you won`t be happy here. However, if you have a large motorhome, a need for a good sleep and some decent food close by, I`d give it a high rating. The bed in our room was great..and I am a big guy. Clean bathroom and all. Staff lady and lot man were both really nice and the desk lady gave us a dinner suggestion that was spot-on.

I have a long-ish motorhome and I am cheap..didn`t want to pay for airport parking and not pay fr two spots, either. Sandstone offers 7 days free parking for every night paid for. We paid for one night at each end of the 14 days vaca..no parking fee and I was able to park it in such a way as to take only one spot.Rear end over the flower beds.

Back down the main road..a 5 minute walk..Mango Thai Cuisine..right after the local liquor store. We sat in the bar area...has a really nice vibe. Ate well....Wontons with Crab and Cream cheese for an appy.

And a free shuttle to and from SeaTac.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

This was my 3rd time leaving my car at Sandstone and this time I opted to spend a night. It was much better than I expected! I stayed in room 242. It was clean, seemed to have been freshly re-modeled in the bath, included, fridge, coffee pot, microwave, hairdryer, iron and board, cable tv with free HBO. The continental breakfast was decent and even included hard-boiled eggs which I appreciate. Airport noise was a little loud which you might expect and street lights leaked in around the curtains but I was so happy to have such a nice place after a long trip I slept easily. The shuttle has been quick and painless for me every time. Also close to Angle Lake Park which is a welcome oasis in the midst of hotel strip hell if you have time for a daytime stroll. I will definitely use this place for any more trips!

Room Tip: They seemed to have plenty of rooms so if you're not satisfied ask to see another.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Leominster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were put up here overnight by the airline as our flight was cancelled. Fortunately, we didn't have the awful experience others had. Our rooms were clean enough (could be better) and adequately appointed. Yes, the rooms are small but they were fine for one night.
However, there are better hotels in the area that I would have chosen over this one. It was no surprise that USAir said that this was the only hotel with enough rooms available (or perhaps available within their low price range). I am amazed that another reviewer paid $130 for a room; it is definitely not worth that.

Room Tip: Based on the other reviewers' comments, I would view your room before selecting it. Also, the ch...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mount Dora, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I want to start by mentioning the good. The shuttle drivers from the airport and the registration clerk were fantastic. I have never received better service from any hotel staff, even in exclusive five star hotels. These people could not have been more helpful, and considering the dingy conditions in which they work, and the customers whom they assist, their cheerful and professional attitudes are absolutely amazing.

This hotel is a dump! Our first room had a window that would not close and smelled so badly of cigarette smoke that we could not stay in it.

Our "upgraded" room had bugs crawling on the floor, furniture and bed. It was so tiny that we simply sat on the bed because there was no other place to be. It also smelled old, musty and much like a 50 year old high school gym. The bathroom was moldy. The ice bucket was moldy. The bathroom vanity had been made with raw wood which was in splinters. Someone has conveniently left the toilet bowl brush right on the vanity. The lamp shade was torn. There was one electrical outlet, so you had the choice of charging your cell phone while sitting in the dark, or not charging your phone. The other electrical outlet was hanging out of the wall.

Amenities? Not even soap was provided in the room.

The restaurant and lounge mentioned on the web site have been defunct for what I would guess have been years. There is, of course, no room service. The complimentary breakfast consisted of chunks of cantaloupe, coffee and toast.

I have stayed in some modest hotels in third world nations that made this place look like a palace. Do yourself a favor and do not even think about trying to sleep here. I cannot believe it is legal for it to operate.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandstone Inn? Share your experiences!