“We got stuck...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of McMillan Suites at Roche Harbor Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Roche Harbor
McMillan Suites at Roche Harbor Resort
Save Saved
You added McMillan Suites at Roche Harbor Resort to your Saves list
248 Reuben Memorial Drive, Roche Harbor, San Juan Island, WA 98250   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roche Harbor
Auburn, Washington
“We got stuck...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I decided to take a Sunday drive and ended on the island and when we went back to catch the last ferry home... It was sold out!! Quickly got out the phone and called the Mc Millan... We had walked around the marina earlier and loved the way the hotel looked. I have stayed in the marina aboard boats before but never ashore. They had 1 room left and we booked it before any of the 20 cars behind us at ferry dock got it... Whew!
We arrived back at the harbor 20 min later thrilled to find out we had the end room on the top floor. What a spectacular view... Opened a bottle of wine and watched the sun go down. Couldn't have been a nicer evening. The place was quiet and serene. And super romantic. Can't wait to get stuck there again... Love Roche Harbor.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Families
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Great service, beautiful room and incredible view!!! We attended a wedding and it was absolutely gorgeous, we cannot say enough about the service and friendliness of the staff. It should be everyone's destination for 4th of July or a wedding!

Room Tip: McMillan suite room 161!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kingston, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were lucky enough to have the winning bid at a charity auction on a two-night package for Roche Harbor Resort, with the idea of using it when we attending a wedding on another island. We’d never stayed on San Juan Island, so that was a part of the appeal as well. We had no idea what to expect, but, from the “retail value” of the package, we figured it was pretty nice.
We chose the McMillin Suites* from the many accommodation choices at the resort. The suites had once been a very large home to the founder of the Roche Harbor Lime and Cement Company – now Roche Harbor Resorts. The home has been skillfully divided into 4 (I think) suites, each with private entrances and a porch or deck. Our suite had a nice seating area with a gas fireplace – our porch looked out at the harbor and some of the gardens. The bedroom area was nice with two adequate closets and a small table with a coffee maker – the bed was huge and very comfortable.

The bathroom…the bathroom I LOVED! The claw foot tub was nostalgic, deep and wonderful – I enjoyed a book and a bubble-filled soak after the wedding reception. Bliss! The very modern shower was great as well with plenty of towels – no skimping there! There was a huge, well lit mirror over the double sinks as well as a light-up make-up mirror with – thank goodness – a magnified side. Overall, very nice and unexpectedly modern and yet in keeping with the former home’s vintage style.

Keep in mind that, all though skillfully done, this is an old converted house, so some sounds will travel through the walls. We heard both a baby and a dog during our stay – it wasn’t loud, but it was noticeable. I always travel with ear plugs, just in case.
As I said, this was our first visit to both San Juan Island and Roche Harbor Resort – we would definitely stay again!

*PS: The official listing here on Trip Advisor has the spelling incorrect – it is spelled McMillin, not McMillan.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

They did an amazing job converting the old McMillan home into 4 luxury suites. Our suite had a living room with fireplace, a bedroom with a very comfortable king bed, and a bathroom with both a claw foot tub and a shower.The heated floors are a nice touch. The view of the quaint harbor from our room and deck was calming. Private free parking and free in-room wifi as well. This is a great romantic getaway.

Room Tip: You can park at your door with room 262.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Auburn wa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I go to the San Juan island’s once or twice a year. We always stay in Friday harbor so when a living social deal for Roche Harbor came up I bought it. We have always wanted to stay at the Roche Harbor Resort. I was please to stay in the McMillan suites. The location as beautiful . We had our own private deck that over looked the harbor. The room was decorated true to its period. I loved the claw foot tub in the bathroom, very nice. The only complaint I have is that they have this new claw foot tub, sinks, flooring , fixtures, ect.. Then you go to take a shower and they have a small plastic shower head that only shoots a small stream of water. I was freezing when I took a shower. Why not replace the shower fixture as all the others. Also, the door to the armoire that the TV was on was broken off and set next to it. There were marks on the walls in the bedroom as if they were moving furniture around and scraped the wall. The TV in the sitting area was a flat screen, the one in the bedroom was old and boxy. These suites are not cheap. So I would have expected better. We ate at both restaurants at the resort. The Lime café was alright for breakfast. McMillan’s was nice. We had a drink the bar before we ate dinner. The food was wonderful. The only complaint I have is that I ordered prawns with my steak and the waitress forgot to bring them out. When I reminded her she apologized and took them off the bill. I would have expected better service for that restaurant, she made up for it by taking them off the bill. The service in the bar was exceptional, I wish we would have eaten there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Roche Harbor Resort – McMillin Suites

We have stayed at Roche Harbor Resort before so we took advantage of the half priced rate special through Living Social. The McMillin Suites are in the historic two-story home that is located next to the Hotel de Haro. There are four suites in the home with two situated on each level. We were in room #162 on the lower level. Each room has their own deck with beautiful views overlooking the harbor and sunset. We had fabulous sunny weather during our two-night stay so that made our visit even better.
Our deck was private with no other building nearby. It made us feel like we were at home when hosting a happy hour one afternoon for a friend who lives on the island.

The unit itself is quite large (450 sq. ft) and was very nicely appointed with gas fireplace that kept the room warm in the evenings. The large bathroom had double sinks and shower. It also had a huge claw foot-soaking tub that had a book/magazine holder for those bubble baths spa days I had. The bathroom floor had heated tiles that kept your feet nice and warm. There were two TVs (one in the sitting area and second one in the bedroom). I think you could even watch TV from the bathtub if you were so inclined. I also appreciated that they had instructions on how to use the DVD, TV, and Internet access in the room. That is a little pet peeve of mine when renting condos is that so often the owners leave you no instructions and you are left to figure out how to use all the remote controls. I loved that there was a docking machine so you could insert your iPod and listened to your music.

We had a lovely dinner at the McMillin Restaurant located in the building just a few feet away. The restaurant has amazing view of the harbor and sunset. Breakfasts were good at the Lime Kiln café that was located on the dock. You put in your order at the counter and then food is bought to your table so service was fast. Another evening, we had an amazing dinner at the Duck Soup Inn. The cozy restaurant is maybe a fifteen-minute drive away from the resort.

The beautiful Sculpture Park is nearby where modern whimsical sculptures are found. There are more sculptures here than in Seattle’s Olympic Sculpture park. The two tennis courts were in excellent shape but unfortunately the outdoor swimming pool was closed for the season. These facilities take only a few minutes walk to there. Next time we would like to stay on the upper floor (#261 or #262) as their decks are open. The resort is a beautiful place to stay wherever your room is. The San Island is amazing place to visit and we are so incredibly lucky that it only takes less than two hours to drive from Seattle to Anacortes where the ferry gets you here in one hour. It’s paradise.

Room Tip: The upper floor (#261 or #262) decks are open and have a better view of the harbor. Depending on t...
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

My wife and I made a trip to Skagit Valley for the Tulip Festival in April of 2012. While in the area we stayed in the Mcmillin Suites at Roche Harbor on San Juan Island. Lots of sightseeing and whale watching at the state park lighthouse filled the day. Excellent table fare at the McMillin Restaurant. I highly recommend a stay in these very well appointed suites, with front dor parking. There is a very nice dockside cafe for breakfast. The staff at this property is wonderful.

Room Tip: Rooms 161 and 162 have excellent views of the harbor.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to McMillan Suites at Roche Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!