“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pullman, Washington
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

This was our first try of a Marriot Townplace suite, usually we preference Hampton.
The PLUSES: fairly new property with rooms well appointed if a bit small (we had King suite), good wifi, and a good location for wineries. Kitchenette was quite well equipped with plates and silverware for 4. Frig and dishwasher also in room. Unfortunately, no wine glasses even though the property is in the middle of wine country. For new property, unusually small tv (32-36), when see other properties over 40. Staff was congenial and helpful
MINUSES: overuse of motion detectors to turn on lights--entry hall AND bath. This use of this technology turns on bright lights no matter the hour. This feature creates more an irritant than help when you make a bathroom trip at night and are BLASTED by 200 watt lighting. Not only wakes you entirely but also your spouse who was sleeping less than 10' from door. Hallway motion sensor also comes on in middle of night even when no one enters entry hall. This one factor would keep us from staying at this property again.
Breakfast, while complimentary, was also a disappointment. No hot items beyond oatmeal and coffee which was unimpressive. Muffins in cellophane--any property at this price point can do better. Reminded us our worse stay at a chain who we consider a couple steps below the Marriot name. Hey, they did have good selection of dry cereal. Perhaps the operator could stay at a couple of their competitors to see what a decent breakfast includes.

Room Tip: You are near a major freeway so if road noise is an issue, ask for a room number above *10(eg 210+,3...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Serena R, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Richland Columbia Point, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review with Trip Advisor. We appreciate all the feedback you were able to give us. This allows us to continue to deliver exceptional service. We have looked into your concerns and can assure you that we are making an effort to address the issues. As for the automatic lights, this is a code that is enforced by Washington State, however we are working with our management company for possible solutions in this matter. I can also share with you that Marriott is consistently looking at additions for the TownePlace Suites Breakfast. Again, I'd like to thank you for your time and if you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Serena Rocha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Richland, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Earlier this week I called Marriott's telephone reservation number and asked for two rooms "for Thursday and Friday night May 29 and May 30 in Richland, Washington." The reservationist told me there was availability at the TownePlace Suites Richland Columbia Point and took my information. After taking down the reservation number he provided, I felt comfortable that there would be rooms waiting for us when we arrived.

On Thursday we drove five hours to the hotel and arrived at a little after 9:00 pm exhausted from the long day and our long drive. Although initially there was nobody at the front desk to greet us, within a few moments a young woman came out of the office and asked us for the name on our reservation. After I told her our name she entered it into the system and told me that we did not have a reservation and that the hotel was fully booked.

When I told her that I had a reservation, she checked the system again and told me our reservation was for March 30, 2015 (not even the correct year, let alone the correct date). She told me that I had made a mistake when I booked my reservation "online." The problem was that I had not booked online, I had booked through Marriott's reservation number. When I told her this she began to argue with me and kept repeating that I had booked the wrong dates when I made my reservation "online." In short, she was trying to make it seem as if I had screwed up as opposed to Marriott's telephone reservationist. I kept telling her that I did not make the reservation online as she suggested, but she kept misrepresenting that I had made the reservation online and that because it was my mistake, she would do nothing to help me.

It was at about this same time that I noticed a sign behind the front desk stating that the manager on duty was "Serena." When I asked to speak to the manager, however, I was told that the manager was not there, but that she could be reached by telephone. The woman I had been dealing with proceeded to call the manager and stated words to the effect that, "I am here with a customer who is very angry because he made an online reservation and put in the wrong dates." When I corrected her and said that I did not make an online reservation, I made a telephone reservation, she repeated into the phone that I had made a mistake when I made my online reservation. She then handed me the phone to speak with the "manager."

The so-called "manager" proceeded to parrot back to me exactly what the other employee had told me -- the hotel was full and because I had messed up when I made my online reservation it was my fault.

Recognizing that I was getting nowhere given that the Marriott manager was sticking to the falsehood that it was my online error that caused the problem, I turned my attention back to the front desk person. I told her that I expected better customer service than this from Marriott and that although this hotel was fully booked, I wanted her to see if she could find us another hotel nearby that could accommodate us. My thought was that we were unfamiliar with the area and that she would have a much better idea of knowing what was available close by. (As an aside, when I was much younger I worked for another comparable hotel chain and this is a service we performed for our guests frequently when our hotel was full). However, instead of agreeing to assist us with finding other accommodations, she told us that if we wanted to find another hotel we should starting calling numbers from our phones.

She reiterated the misrepresentation that I had made an online reservation, that I had entered the dates incorrectly, and that because it was my mistake, she was not going to assist us. She told us that if we did not leave immediately, she was going to call the police.

I was completely taken aback. We were not acting belligerently or menacingly. I will admit that I was quite perturbed that she kept repeating the lie that I had messed up the reservation while making an online reservation -- something that never occurred -- and I kept correcting her for insisting on the misrepresentation, we were not causing a scene (there was no one else in the lobby), and I did not see why it was a police matter that we asked her to help us find another hotel. I told her to go ahead and call the police if that is what she wanted to do. She seemed shocked that I would call her bluff and called to someone else behind the lobby.

Another apparent Marriott employee came out from the back. I say "apparent" because he was dressed in an untucked plain white T-shirt and was not wearing any identification. He looked like someone off the street. Like the front desk woman, and the manager, he quite confidently told me that they were not going to help me because it was a mistake that I had made when I made my online reservation.

Have you ever been in a situation when someone is treating you like a liar when you are the only person who knows for sure that you are telling the truth? Well, that is exactly how I felt.

Realizing that the Marriott employees at this hotel were going to stick to their lie, we left the hotel and went back to our car. I immediately called the Marriott reservation number that I had previously used to make my reservation. When I told the customer service person what had happened she looked up my reservation number and said, "I know it doesn't solve your problem of not having a room, but I can tell you for certain that the reservation number you gave me was made by one of our 'centers' and was not made online." It was a small consolation, but at least I was dealing with someone who realized I was not lying. The customer service person checked availability at all of the Marriott hotels within a 50 mile radius and when she discovered they were all full, she provided me with a list of other hotels in the area where we might find rooms. Within less than five minutes, we had another reservation and were on our way.

My conclusion: Original Telephone Reservationist: Bad Customer Service
Front Desk Woman: Bad Customer Service
Manager on Duty: Bad Customer Service
White T-Shirt Guy: Bad Customer Service
Customer Service Woman on Telephone: Helpful and professional

In short, 80% of the Marriott personnel we dealt with did not deserve their jobs. We will not be back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Columbus, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Booked a 2 bed suite. Quite spacious and comfortable for all. Did not use kitchen facilities but wi-fi was fast, tv's a bit small, beds comfortable. A bit out of the way and no river view, but close!
No issue w/ check in or out, breakfast was ehh but acceptable. Had better. But it was "free".

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Serena R, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Richland Columbia Point, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey. We are delighted that your stay with the TownePlace Suites Richland Columbia Point was enjoyable.

Sincerely
Serena R
Richland, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in for eight nights while having some work done on our house. VERY friendly staff and clean, comfortable rooms in a pleasant location. Very comfortable beds, pet friendly, and a better than average workout room. Love the location across the street from both a park-Columbia River and Anthony's for a potential dinner. Did not have the breakfast(seldom do at any hotel) but really liked this new, clean, modern, and friendly hotel. Very recommended.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Serena R, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Richland Columbia Point, responded to this review, May 5, 2014

Federal Way, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We had a great experience at this hotel. We are Marriott reward members and had made a reservation months in advance for a ball tournament. We came to check in and somehow our reservation got changed from a King bed to a Queen bed. I was upset. The manager, Serena went out of her way to get us our room even though they were sold out. The staff was friendly. The property was new and nice. Breakfast was good. Rooms were nice and cozy. Pool area was just fine. We would stay here again. It was close to a little strip mall with a grocery store and restaurants. It is also across from walking trails at the river.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that your stay with the TownePlace Suites Richland Columbia Point was enjoyable.

Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. I am happy that we were able to get you into a room that you originally reserved. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future.

La Center WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a wine tasting weekend. The staff was friendly and extremely helpful. The room was clean and beds were great. There was a little noise from the freeway but not enough to interrupt sleep. WI FI was easy to access and there were plenty of outlets. This is important for our travel needs. 2 phones and usually 2 or 3 other devices so the plugs are appreciated. Perhaps some wine tasting coupons or packages like Napa does would be nice. A great place to stay. Pool and spa are both good.

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that your stay with the TownePlace Suites Richland Columbia Point was enjoyable and hope that your wine tour was enjoyable as well.

Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. We hope to be able to serve you again in the future!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We spent two nights here and it was fantastic! Yes, there was some noise from the freeway, but that's to be expected given it's location.

Two suggestions: partnering with local wineries to advertise/promote (maybe coupons for 2-for-1 tastings or room packages that includes tasting or a bottle from the local winery?) the industry and introduce guests to wineries that may not be on their lists when they do come to visit the wineries in the area. This is done in other areas...why not in the heart of Washington Wine Country??

My next suggestion is to have some lower carb options for the breakfast buffet. When you travel with a diabetic, it's always hard to make good choices, but if breakfast could provide lower carb options, it would be a *big* help!!

Stayed March 2014

Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. I am happy to say that we are currently creating a wine package that will be available on our website soon. As for our breakfast, this is something Marriott is looking into and we all hope that we will be able to offer different items in the future. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future.

Serena Rocha

Been to TownePlace Suites Richland Columbia Point? Share your experiences!