“Pros & Cons - Read entire review please” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Richland
Aurora, OR
“Pros & Cons - Read entire review please”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

As this proves to be a lengthy review, I ask that you read it to the end to fully appreciate all of the aspects of the review. There were allot of “Pros & Cons” regarding our stay, and I thought about leaving some things out, but decided that a true review is the only way to let others know what happened & how the matter was handled. I am not only writing this for TripAdvisor.com, but also for the corporation of Marriott and the Hotel Group.
1. My first interaction was when I tried to book our stay. I pay a LARGE amount of money to have an American Express concierge handle my reservations at locations. I told them to book two nights at this hotel in the best room that they offer. After booking the room, I called the hotel to confirm the reservation, only to find out that I did not have the best room that they offer. I was told by Katelyn (Hope I spelled it right), that the hotel does not offer these rooms to travel sites for discounts. I explained that I was not looking for a discount, only the best room available. I had to call American Express back, cancel the reservation, and book directly with Katelyn for the room. The Marriott web site described the room as a “King Suite”. This was to be a suite with a separate bedroom, river view, wet bar, and a jetted tub,”…Big enough to accommodate two…”
I think that the Marriott should review this policy, as most people book stays through some sort of travel site. Hard to book the “High end” rooms, when they aren’t even offered. This room is $209. Per night. Katelyn was VERY polite and handled the situation well.

2. Upon arrival, we were impressed with the location and appearance of the hotel. It is located right on the river with nice views and beautiful landscaping. There are paved walking paths that separate the hotel from the river. You can enjoy a walk or bikes are available too.
Note: I counted no less than 6 handicap parking spaces located at convenient locations.
We walked in to a clean nice reception area. We noticed a lounge area, breakfast area, business area (with PCs available), guest seating area, as well as a beautiful view from the back large windows. We were helped by Katelyn again, and were soon on our way up to the room. Note: This location is only 8 years old.

3. This is where it takes a “Snag” in our stay. I was pulling the luggage cart into the room, took 3 steps, and my foot literally came out of my shoe! My shoe had stuck to the carpet! A previous guest had spilled a full 2 liter bottle of pop or something onto the carpet? My wife has a phobia about cleanliness, and quickly started looking throughout the room. Most of it was clean, but the maids must have had blinders on to not see the spilled pop! The affected area spanned 3-4’ in diameter. I returned the cart downstairs and brought our concerns to Katelyn’s attention. She was shocked, and sent the maids right up. Note: Moving was not an option. No other rooms like this on the top floor.
We both laughed when the maid showed up with a spritz bottle and a hand towel to clean it. She did not speak the best English, but looked at it and said “Big party….ha ha ha…must been big party”. Really? I asked her if they had a carpet cleaning machine…..only to get a blank look. We were planning on going next door to Anthony’s for dinner. They could have gone in, cleaned it, and all would have been well. Instead, she sprayed the spritz bottle a few times and rubbed with the hand towel. We sent her on her way and placed a bath towel over the affected area. And there it remained for the rest of our stay. When we went back down to the reception, and showed them the pictures, Katelyn discounted the room by $30. Per night. This was nice, but It is too easy anymore for the staff to discount, rather than simply making sure that everything is right to begin with. It was also shift change, so this is when we met Kaylee. She should be complimented for her great attitude and for representing your hotel in a positive fashion.

4. Pros and cons of location & room:

Location Pros: River view, walking paths, 1000’ feet from a GREAT seafood restaurant (Anthony’s), boat launch area, clean pool & sauna, & exercise room.
We enjoyed a cocktail in the lounge area and some food is also available. I enjoyed a chicken Cobb salad that was prepared wonderfully. Room service is also available.
We partook in breakfast the following morning. They had a server who will make eggs or omelets to order, potatoes, bacon & sausage, fresh fruit, several muffins & bread items, and great coffee & juices.
Note: We were VERY impressed with whoever the maintenance man is. We never caught his name, but he always flashed a great smile and a friendly greeting as he passed you. He should be patted on the back, and management should notice that EVERYONE on their staff can make a good (or bad) impression on your guests.

Location cons: Upon check in, more time should be spent promoting the establishment and what it has to offer. Although I may be familiar with the Marriott, most may not. Business area, when breakfast starts, when lounge opens & that food is available, pool hours and location, Etc.
While eating breakfast I noticed that the beautiful view was blocked by lots of smeared handprints and generally dirty windows. As this is one of the bestselling points of the location, more time should be spent on the cleaning of them. I also overheard two of the waitresses talk about how she had worked the last 12 days in a row. Makes me wonder how the quality of her work could be when she is “Burnt out”. The staff should be reminded that patrons see and hear everything.

Room pros: 2 private balconies, comfortable king size bed & pillows, fridge & microwave, wet bar area, 2 flat screen TVs, gas fireplace, thermostat controlled heat and air, coffee pot & hair dryer, free Wi Fi, nice desk, and great river view.

Room cons: No bathroom fan, the jetted tub is TINY!! The tub is just a standard 5’ tub that is just a little wider and deeper. They advertise that it is big enough to “….accommodate two people…” two kids maybe! That was a total rip off. The biggest complaint is over the maid service and the little things that can immediately change a person’s perception of the room. As you will see from the photos, it’s the little things that could be fixed for very little time and money. This room is supposed to be the best that they have to offer!
So as an example: The fridge has several dents in the stainless door. This should be replaced or exchanged with one out of a low end room. There are several “Dings & scratches” in the wet bar area. Some Old English would easily cover these up and make a much better presentation to the guest. There are gaps between the light covers and the fire sprinkler spouts in the ceiling. There is also a crack from one end of the wet bar ceiling to the other. Maintenance could easily put a small bead of caulking along these areas to cover it up. Some of the wallpaper is bubbled up next to the living room ceiling. This could easily be cut and re-glued to give a much better appearance. There are cobwebs down on the corner of sliders too. The couch is old and VERY uncomfortable. The living room slider was off the track when we arrived and, even after fixing it, was hard to open and close. Might suggest some new rollers or some lithium grease.

So in closing, the obvious question is whether I would recommend this location to others….Yes.

Room Tip: Ask for river view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kathytime, General Manager at Courtyard Richland Columbia Point, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Mr. Simonis,
WOW – Thank you for the detailed report of your recent stay at the Richland Courtyard. We are extremely sorry for the state that your guestroom was in upon your arrival. I shared your review to all employees because you had a very informative perspective regarding our service that I personally greatly appreciate. There are so many issues that I would like to discuss with you. Please contact me at 509-420-1200 so we can discuss your review. I hope you are having a wonderful day. I look forward to talking to you soon.
Kathy Moore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Whenever we come to eastern Washington to tour wine country, always stay here. Hotel is in a nice location, clean, efficient and friendly staff. The 'sofa' in our room was really worn and in obvious need to be replaced. Otherwise, no complaints.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kathytime, General Manager at Courtyard Richland Columbia Point, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear DebbieinSeattle,
Thank you for choosing the Richland Courtyard for your wine tasting visit in Richland. We appreciate your positive feedback regarding our facility and services. I am pleased to announce that we are updating our guestrooms starting in November 2012 which includes replacing the couches. Yeah! We look forward to serving you again the next time you travel to Eastern Washington.
Richland, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Certainly one of the better Courtyards we have stayed at. We have a river view which is great: room is a bit small, but that is what we reserved. Place is well-maintained, staff are great. Location is great if vacationing/working in Richland. The walking path along the Columbia River goes forever and is fun. Anthony's restaurant is next door. Nothing to complain about.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This hotel is typical of a Courtyard with the added benefit of having an excellent location on the Columbia River. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the room spacious, quiet, and very clean. Our stay was most enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Courtyard hotels all offer the same amenities. The service and location make this property stand out. Walking distance of Anthony's restaurant and views of the marina and Columbia River made my stay more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies overlooking the Columbia River.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed 3 nights at this Courtyard, one of the nicest we have visited.

We stayed when the hotel was at full occupancy, and our room was very quiet. The room was exceptionally clean, linens and towels fresh. The shower/toilet were in a separate room adjacent to the sink; the shower had safety grab bars.

Staff was uniformly friendly. We were initially checked into a room in which the air conditioner did not work properly. Within 30 minutes of our request to fix the air conditioner, the front desk manager personally found that the air conditioner needed repair and moved us to a different room on the same floor. We were impressed since the hotel was booked! In our new room, the air conditioner functioned well and was pretty quiet - white noise for sleeping but not exceptionally noisy.

The hotel is by the river, and there is an asphalt trail convenient for walking. The hotel is also proximal to a golf course, a grocery store (WinCo), a Starbucks, teriyaki place, and Applebee's. There is easy freeway access to Pasco (I182East), Yakima (82 West), and Kennewick (hgwy 240).

One silly drawback is that the hotel has a free breakfast of standard cold cereals, pastries, toasts, etc. and charges an additional $5 per person for upgrading to the hot entrees. We never wanted nor purchased the hot entree option, but just make the room cost $5 per night more and skip the "extra" charge business.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Courtyard Richland Columbia Point, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear TouristeSeattle,
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay in Richland. It sounds like you enjoyed our property as much as we enjoy working here. For information purposes, the full breakfast buffet is $10.95 for all guests. Team sports tend to require breakfast included with their room rate. We offered the continental breakfast included with the room rate with the $5 option to upgrade. I hope this help explain our breakfast program.

We look forward to serving your you again in the future.
Kathy Moore
Seattle, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed three nights as a base for the wine areas in Walla Walla, Tri-Cities and Prosser. It is centrally located although each area requires a bit of driving.

It is a typical Courtyard, which is a good thing as they are a good example of Marriott's medium budget chain. It has ample free parking, a welcoming lobby and friendly, albeit, inexperianced staff. It has three floors and one side of the building faces the river and the other the parking lot, street and, in the distance hills and houses. The so-called City side.

We stayed using Marriott points and one free night and as a Marriott gold member we had hoped to be upgraded to the River side, but we were not. The rooms look the same but it was quite noisey with garbage trucks, garden maintenance and a too-close construction site that started up at 8am. Go for the Riverside if you can.

We did not do the breakfast, but the dining area looked like a nice open and pleasant space.

We generally prefer a Residence Inn and would like to see Marriott open one in Walla Walla one day.

Room Tip: The Riverside is quieter
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard Richland Columbia Point? Share your experiences!