“NEVER AGAIN!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel

You added Clarion Hotel to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3700 E Valley Road, Renton, WA 98055 (Formerly Best Value Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Renton
Vancouver, Canada
“NEVER AGAIN!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I was booked through your hotel website for my stay at Renton, WA Clarion Hotel June 13 - 15, 2014. Reserved Two rooms: One King bed room and one two queens bed room. Upon check-in at 11pm, your staff stated they cannot give me the two beds room as I reserved because they gave away all the queen beds room. (According online booking at your website, it stated all rooms which has booked will be hold up to the second day at 7am, but my two beds room has been given away sadly) I have no choice but to stay for a single King bed. Your staff upgraded me to a jacuzzi suite but all I need is two beds. Compromising what I was not book for then your staff told me that I have to check out the next day before check out time because the suite is reserved for other guests for the second day. Also they cannot promise me the second night of stay will be a two beds room. For the two night stay in your hotel, I was not expecting the hassle of changing room. As the night shift staff told me the manager will be there the next day to "help" me with my problem so I was trying to be very nice and accommodating so I did what I was told to do compromise for the night and wait for the second day. What upset me was, the next day when I was checking out at around 10am, the manage was not in until noon and no one on duty has the authority to "settle" or "handle" situation. So I left my contact phone number, expecting a call from your hotel. No phone call has made to me from your hotel at all. I do not want to sleep on the couch for the second night because that was what I did for the first night when a two beds was reserved and only ONE BED was delivered, therefore by 5pm I have no choice but to make an extra trip back to the hotel, to make sure the night of the stay is handled. The Manager was out. Staff told me manager will be back in 30 minutes and will contact me right away. With finally one hour wait and I am heading out for dinner at 6pm, FINALLY your manager is there to "help" me with the issue. As your manager promised to deliver what makes me satisfied, (50% discount for my stay and a letter to explain the issue, your manage has only achieved half, which was the discount) Until now, it has been 10 days I have not received any letter at all. And I left my address, email and phone number for your hotel staffs.
As a customer I have to worry, keep chasing the tail of my nights of stay, checking my cell phone waiting for a solution for the second night of stay, what was reserved is not delivered promptly. I am more than disappointing with the customer service that I have experienced . As a frequent traveler, I have not encounter any customer service worse than that. Not to mentioned other little things that I am not satisfied with the room, like the half used shampoo is in the bathtub, empty box of Kleenex is not refill before guests check in. I do not think I will recommend anyone for the stay in your hotel chain

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Tacoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

This was my worst hotel experience ever! First off, I found a roach in my room. When I took the problem to the staff, they said they didn't have a roach problem and refused to do anything about it. I thought maybe they'd switch me to a different room, or comp me a free night; but they offered nothing. The front desk clerk even insinuated that I was lying, and asked if I'd taken a picture. Thank god I had the foresight to snap a pic of the roach on my wall. I as also brought the dead roach down to show her in person but they clearly doubted my claim.
I also had huge problems with billing. My husband and I each used our own credit cards to pay. Somehow my husband's card got ran for $127, and the funds were being held by the hotel. We did not authorize them to use his card, because mine had already been charged that day. The manger could find no reason his card was charged, and she kept telling me that it was my bank that was the problem, not the hotel. She didn't even want to call their processing center to release the funds. After a lot of noise, she finally made the call and got the money released, but now it will take until July 1st to get my money back. That's unacceptable. Being in the service industry, hotels usually do everything they can to res$olve complaints. The staff at the clarion acted like I was bothering them, and showed a lot of attitude. The rooms were nice enough, but if I pay $127 a night, I expect that roaches won't climb up the wall. Plainly speaking, the desk clerk and the manager were rude to me. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Stayed 2 nights before a cruise. Hotel airport shuttle wasn't running so they paid for a taxi from airport, then paid again from hotel to public railway so we could get downtown. The shuttle was like a free taxi too. Hotel is a long way from downtown. Breakfast was great - all you can eat hot as well as fruit, cereal etc. Free coffee 24 hrs. Staff were really helpful. Room was clean, overall a good choice for budget hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Pasco, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Location is convenient for much of the Seattle/Tacoma area. Competitive rates. Check in was quick. Recently remodeled, CLEAN! Rooms are modern, LCD TV, Free Wifi, comfortable beds.

We enjoyed the hot breakfast, too. Waffles, biscuits and gravy, eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, yogurt, cereals and more. Did I mention the waffles? Yum!

Neighborhood is a bit noisy. Our room was second floor which probably kept it from bothering us.

Room Tip: Location, price and breakfast. You will not be disappointed!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
clarionrentongm, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Thank you for writing a review for us. We have been working on renovations since November and finally completed early this month. I am pleased to hear that you had a positive stay with us. Value of what you pay is very important and I am happy we are able to offer our guest a full breakfast buffet every morning. Please visit us again next time you are in the area. Thank you again.
Ft. Collins, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

This hotel is, simply, old. You, the reader, know what I'm talking about because you've stayed in places like this before. It looks great from the outside. New stucco, new paint. The Tripadvisor photo of the front Portico looks nice. Even the lobby is all fresh and well-lit as you walk in, clean, furbished, modern. Oooh, free newspapers! You enter the place thinking that it'll be a decent stay. You take your key and leave the front desk area, descending into the depths of the place. And in the old dank hallways of the place, you begin to smell the "old" smell. It's almost a feel, really. Not quite moldy, not quite rotten, and nicely muted by the smell of commercial cleaning agents The carpeting looks older and more worn as you approach your room. And when you open the door to your room, you know for sure: the place is a dump! It was probably a Microtel before, maybe then it passed into Ramada's hands. But now it's a last chance hotel. That's why it's a Clarion. Sure, your room has a flat screen, maybe a newer mattress and fluffy pillows. But the walls are gross and dirty where they meet the floor. The place smells like excessive, perfumed disinfectant, i.e. not a clean smell, but a dirty smell masked with solvents. The tub is stained. Clean, but discolored from age and wear. The air conditioning works well, which is good, and the ground level window opens as far as you want so that you can air out the medical disinfectant smell. You can't sit on the toilet without your knees touching the wall. The lighting is dim even at full blast. The whole room feels like a dead tooth. Even worse, this hotel smells bad outside, too! The parking lot smells like garbage. The Casino to the north of the parking lot is boarded up. The place to the south only looks boarded up, but is actually open. There's a Harley Davidson dealership to the West, so if you like noisy douchebags in silly costumes brapping up and down the road all day, this is the place for you. To the East, you have the highway constantly droning, and a sea of asphalt parking lots surrounds everything else. This location sucks, the hotel is just worn the heck out, and I can't think of a single reason to stay here again. There are just enough "excellent" ratings for this property on TripAdvisor compared to "terrible" ratings that you think it's worth a try. But check my record and take my advice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
clarionrentongm, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
I apologize for your experience with your stay at the Clarion Hotel. The Hotel completed renovations this month. We did a full lobby renovation. The hotel has new carpeting though out the whole hotel including guest rooms. All guest rooms have been freshly painted with new curtains and new bedding. We have new fitness equipment and are in the process of completed our new business center. I am sorry we failed to meet your expectations. Here at the Clarion we are constantly improving and doing new things to better the guest experience.
Moses Lake
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Our family of 8 opted at the last minute to leave the night before our flight out of SeaTac due to potential snowfall on the mountain passes that might cause trouble traveling in the morning. We had no hotel reservation arranged. We searched online for a parksleepfly hotel in the area during the 3 hr drive to the area, and found all the places we were familiar with already booked. We took a chance on this hotel-- just pulled in at around 12:30AM and the desk clerk gave us the last 2 rooms which only had king beds with pull out couches. More of a suite type room with kitchenette.We had four young children along, so it worked fine.He did not charge us extra for that. Somewhat older hotel, which they have been remodeling and updating with fresh paint, and at least as comfortable as any I have used previously for parksleepfly. He was very accommodating and even offered us light snacks if any of our group was hungry!! Very Nice! Complimentary breakfast was great. Courtesy shuttle was just big enough for our group, and worked great to and from airport.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review of our Hotel. Last minute travel arrangements can be stressful and the weather on the mountain pass can get pretty bad. I am happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay and that our staff was able to accommodate your needs. We have a great free breakfast selection and breakfast staff too. I invite you back next time you are in need of lodging in the Renton area. Have a great day!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I didn't experience anything negative during my recent 2 night stay. The front desk clerk was cordial if not super receptive. The room I got was nicely remodeled. The space is a little tight and some of the handy work is a bit off to the trained eye but overall very comfortable. The main concern might be noise. I didn't experience much highway noise even though I was in the rear of the hotel but there was a noticable amount of noise in the corridor; any conversation and every door closing. The breakfast is one notch above the norm, overall cleanliness is very good, Wifi worked very well and there are a nice selection of TV channels. I encountered at least 3 housekeepers in the hallways and every one of them made the effort to greet me and were very pleasant. Parking is sufficient and the area seems very safe. There is a huge mall and virtually endless dining options very near by without getting on the main highways. I would recommend this location to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
clarionrentongm, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you taking the time to write a review. We hope to see again soon. Best regards.

Been to Clarion Hotel? Share your experiences!