“Dumpy Inside & Out, and All Around The Property” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel

You added Clarion Hotel to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3700 E Valley Road, Renton, WA 98055 (Formerly Best Value Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Renton
Ft. Collins, CO
“Dumpy Inside & Out, and All Around The Property”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

This hotel is, simply, old. You, the reader, know what I'm talking about because you've stayed in places like this before. It looks great from the outside. New stucco, new paint. The Tripadvisor photo of the front Portico looks nice. Even the lobby is all fresh and well-lit as you walk in, clean, furbished, modern. Oooh, free newspapers! You enter the place thinking that it'll be a decent stay. You take your key and leave the front desk area, descending into the depths of the place. And in the old dank hallways of the place, you begin to smell the "old" smell. It's almost a feel, really. Not quite moldy, not quite rotten, and nicely muted by the smell of commercial cleaning agents The carpeting looks older and more worn as you approach your room. And when you open the door to your room, you know for sure: the place is a dump! It was probably a Microtel before, maybe then it passed into Ramada's hands. But now it's a last chance hotel. That's why it's a Clarion. Sure, your room has a flat screen, maybe a newer mattress and fluffy pillows. But the walls are gross and dirty where they meet the floor. The place smells like excessive, perfumed disinfectant, i.e. not a clean smell, but a dirty smell masked with solvents. The tub is stained. Clean, but discolored from age and wear. The air conditioning works well, which is good, and the ground level window opens as far as you want so that you can air out the medical disinfectant smell. You can't sit on the toilet without your knees touching the wall. The lighting is dim even at full blast. The whole room feels like a dead tooth. Even worse, this hotel smells bad outside, too! The parking lot smells like garbage. The Casino to the north of the parking lot is boarded up. The place to the south only looks boarded up, but is actually open. There's a Harley Davidson dealership to the West, so if you like noisy douchebags in silly costumes brapping up and down the road all day, this is the place for you. To the East, you have the highway constantly droning, and a sea of asphalt parking lots surrounds everything else. This location sucks, the hotel is just worn the heck out, and I can't think of a single reason to stay here again. There are just enough "excellent" ratings for this property on TripAdvisor compared to "terrible" ratings that you think it's worth a try. But check my record and take my advice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
clarionrentongm, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
I apologize for your experience with your stay at the Clarion Hotel. The Hotel completed renovations this month. We did a full lobby renovation. The hotel has new carpeting though out the whole hotel including guest rooms. All guest rooms have been freshly painted with new curtains and new bedding. We have new fitness equipment and are in the process of completed our new business center. I am sorry we failed to meet your expectations. Here at the Clarion we are constantly improving and doing new things to better the guest experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Moses Lake
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Our family of 8 opted at the last minute to leave the night before our flight out of SeaTac due to potential snowfall on the mountain passes that might cause trouble traveling in the morning. We had no hotel reservation arranged. We searched online for a parksleepfly hotel in the area during the 3 hr drive to the area, and found all the places we were familiar with already booked. We took a chance on this hotel-- just pulled in at around 12:30AM and the desk clerk gave us the last 2 rooms which only had king beds with pull out couches. More of a suite type room with kitchenette.We had four young children along, so it worked fine.He did not charge us extra for that. Somewhat older hotel, which they have been remodeling and updating with fresh paint, and at least as comfortable as any I have used previously for parksleepfly. He was very accommodating and even offered us light snacks if any of our group was hungry!! Very Nice! Complimentary breakfast was great. Courtesy shuttle was just big enough for our group, and worked great to and from airport.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review of our Hotel. Last minute travel arrangements can be stressful and the weather on the mountain pass can get pretty bad. I am happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay and that our staff was able to accommodate your needs. We have a great free breakfast selection and breakfast staff too. I invite you back next time you are in need of lodging in the Renton area. Have a great day!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I didn't experience anything negative during my recent 2 night stay. The front desk clerk was cordial if not super receptive. The room I got was nicely remodeled. The space is a little tight and some of the handy work is a bit off to the trained eye but overall very comfortable. The main concern might be noise. I didn't experience much highway noise even though I was in the rear of the hotel but there was a noticable amount of noise in the corridor; any conversation and every door closing. The breakfast is one notch above the norm, overall cleanliness is very good, Wifi worked very well and there are a nice selection of TV channels. I encountered at least 3 housekeepers in the hallways and every one of them made the effort to greet me and were very pleasant. Parking is sufficient and the area seems very safe. There is a huge mall and virtually endless dining options very near by without getting on the main highways. I would recommend this location to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
clarionrentongm, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you taking the time to write a review. We hope to see again soon. Best regards.
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Mike went out of his way at 4am to make sure my family of very weary travelers were well taken care of. Thank you. The room was very clean, bed was super comfortable, but the best part was the friendly service

• Stayed February 2014
clarionrentongm, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I will let my front desk agent know you had a great experience. Thank you again, best regards. Ole
SeaTac, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

This hotel has been newly renovated, looks great. Great, friendly staff. Would highly recommend!
I love that they offer a courtesy shuttle. The location is great, pretty close to the mall and restaurants.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. Best regards Ole
Auburn, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I travel a lot for work and stay in numerous hotels. I was in the area last week and man I wish I had stayed here. There is a bit of traffic noise from the freeway but the beds are super comfy and there is a fridge and micro in the room! The rates were very comparable and for what you get I will definitely stay here next time I am here. The breakfast looks good and I will see tomorrow. Good location next to the freeway and the mall is only about 10 min away.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
clarionrentongm, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We are almost finished with the many renovations we have been doing. We look forward to seeing you again.
Best regards, Ole
Williston, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

I was in town for the holidays. The location was good, just off 2 main hwys, had a great mall close by and a shuttle to take me there and pick me up. No head ache of driving around and getting lost. They were remodeling on my last stay and this stay the front desk area is done, it looks great. Thanks for the great stays.

• Stayed December 2013
clarionrentongm, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Thank you so much for your review of your stay, I am so happy to hear you enjoyed our shuttle van amenity. I agree the new front desk area has a great new look. Best regards, Ole

Been to Clarion Hotel? Share your experiences!