“I must be the control group...” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Bakery, Contemporary, Sandwiches
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Seattle
“I must be the control group...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Living not 5 miles from the place, it has taken me a while to come back to Pomegranate after an initially mediocre experience. I know people LOVE this place. Nice space. Lovely people. But, as a diner, it boils down to the food, right? I really am an open minded diner, really enjoying the range of all cuisine worldwide. And, I understand perfectly well what to expect from Pomegranate. I came in with a small group of friends last week for a light dinner and walked away impressed only by a really terrific mushroom soup...I mean REALLY good! I also had a prosciutto firebread that was soggy and bland. My wife had a decent steak salad. With shared starters, our share of the bill was a hefty $72. Not thrilled, but fed. This weekend we decided to try again. Lovely server, very patient despite the place being packed and my wife and I wanting to chat about the day before ordering. She did a great job trying to guide us on some choices. We should have listened. We both left with "diner's remorse". $68 for a bland mushroom started, two cups of a watery vegetable soup (ladle too short to reach the bottom of the pot?), a salmon and beet salad (four tiny slices of good cured salmon and one small quartered beet for $13), a firebread with gloppy pulled short rib and cold melted cheese, and one glass of Malbec. I'm not sure what happened. But we won't risk it again.

I am glad others have had better experiences. Again, the people there are terrific!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
Seattle, Washington
“Great Restaurant in a Strip Mall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Pomegranate Bistro is a funny place. If you didn't know better, you'd drive right past it and look for somewhere else to eat. From the outside, it looks like -- well, it looks like a random restaurant in a strip mall. Once inside, its a different story -- Pomegranate is cozy and comfortable -- not too fancy, but well-designed. It is a great choice for business lunches, family brunch, a girls' lunch, a family dinner, etc. I have eaten there so many times that most of the staff recognize my quirky requests (for example, I often order way more than I can eat, just for the delicious leftovers.)

Last week, my husband and I enjoyed a last minute lunch date there. At 1:00 p.m. on a random Thursday, the place was hopping. We waited about ten minutes for a table, and had a nice, well-paced meal. That's something else I like -- its neither too fast, nor so slow that I want to snarf everything immediately.

Over the past several years, we have had many family meals there with our growing and picky children. There is a very good children's menu, but the regular menu offers many options that the bigger kids (and adults) like -- for example, the firebread can basically be a cheese pizza, but there are also sophisticated riffs for the grown-up crowd.

Brunch is amazing there. Ginger pancakes? Yum. I always order a couple of cinnamon rolls to take home, too.

What more can I say? Well, they just added a separate bar area which also accommodates more diners in a somewhat fancier/darker setting. I have not dined in that area, as I prefer the main dining room so I can watch the catering kitchen show going on behind the restaurant. My kids always wanted to sit near the windows so they could watch the cake making activity.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sammamish, Washington
“Tasteless”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have had both breakfast and lunch at the Pomegranate. I expected the foods to be prepared differently but to the point of not even recognizing what I ordered. For example at breakfast I ordered grits and being from the South I know what grits are supposed to taste like. To this day I have now idea what I ate and neither did the waitress. This restraunt seems to be a place to go if you want to impress someone you are classy, but it is not a place to be a regular customer.

Visited October 2011
Seattle, Washington
“Fun, Casual Place to Hangout”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

WHAT I WAS HOPING FOR
No specific expectations going in except that the Lisa Dupar name carries a high standard. I met my coworkers for a leisurely celebratory dinner.

MY EXPERIENCE
-- Delicious selection of signature cocktails and spirits. After battling the Redmond traffic, I needed a drink (or two) in a bad way.
-- The great thing about going with a group is you that get to taste a variety of offerings. Most memorable: crispy calamari & artichokes (mainly for the artichokes), dungeness crab gazpacho (I like mine less chunky, more soupy and this version fit the bill), southern fried chicken and orange bacon dressing they put in their potatoes and burgers.
-- Separate shout out goes to their dulce de leche bread pudding! And by "bread" they mean cinnamon rolls. Umm hmm. I know!
-- Solid on service.

Thumbs sideways:
-- Skirt steak salad was so-so.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
“Very nice brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

A group of four had a very nice brunch. We ordered four different entrees and all were very good. So many good choices on the menu, it is hard to decide what to order.

• Visited September 2012