“New yurts at Sagecliff are far from Camping” 5 of 5 stars

Cave B Estate Winery & Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   344 Silica Road NW, Quincy, WA 98848   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Quincy
Seattle, Washington
“New yurts at Sagecliff are far from Camping”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

A luxury yurt experience to accomodate the Gorge at George Washington Concert series. Walking distance to the Gorge amphitheater and fantastic views and wine experience made ours a memorable pleasure. We reserved a night for our daughter the following weekend for concert accomodations as well.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

We were thrilled that Cave B added Chiwana Village to their resort, especially just in time for the Labor Day Dave Matthew's Band concert. The Yerts are comfortable with a King size bed, large 3/4 bath and gorgeous red leather couch. The card table in lieu of something more substantial does not match the rest of the furnishings or the price point and many finishing details are in need of...well finishing. I got a nasty cut and sliver from lightly grazing the back of my hand on the headboard, ouch! This will happen to others and needs to be addressed. The bathroom counters are also a bit tacky, as in the finish, not the quality, it's as if they rushed the job and didn't allow proper time to dry.

We loved that they provided a free evening meal after the concert for everyone staying at the resort, this was a very nice touch.

However, overall the yerts are overpriced for the experience and unless those prices significantly dropped I wouldn't stay there again, opting for the much nicer cliff houses through the Inn which are almost equal in price.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Kirkland, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

The SageCliffe property is absolutely beautiful! Below is the only critical feedback I've ever been compelled to write...mainly due to our our disappointment in the price of staying at the SageCliffe Resort as if pertained to the services rendered. See below...

First off, I wanted to write and thank you both personally for your warm hospitality and genuine interest in making our stay enjoyable. You both are a joy! I am also writing to express our disappointment in the cost of our stay compared to the services and amenities that were provided. We understand that the "Yurt Community" is a new development and experience to the Sage Cliff family, but we feel it's important for you to to get feedback on both the areas that worked well as well as the areas that could use improvement. We love that you have added A/C and heat, and that the water tank was increased from 6 gallons to 30 gallons...those adjustments were certainly a positive! We also enjoyed the courtesy ride to our Yurt with our bags, as well as the ride to the amphitheater gate the evening of our concert.

On the flip side, we were disappointed that there was no transportation provided on our journey home from the concert, and that we were left on our own to transport our luggage back to our car that was parked remotely from the Yurt Community. While we are perfectly healthy and capable to walk to and from these locations, we were just upset that these things weren't executed as well as prearranged as a guaranteed expectation. We were also discouraged with the water outage from the evening of 8/28/2010 to 8/29/2010. The communication about this outage could have improved 100%. The guests could have been informed as soon as the water outage was detected, and if there was a direct way to communicate with hotel/resort staff (i.e. courtesy phone in each Yurt)...messages could easily be left and/or sent to guests on the progress and alternative options made available to guests as the issue was being addressed. We feel that not only the lack of communication, but the inability to directly communicate with the hotel/resort staff could potentially be a liability should an emergency occur - especially since cell phone coverage is limited in your area.

Cave B is absolutely a delightful location, not to mention beautiful. It tremendously adds to the experience for guests who also plan to attend a concert at the Gorge. While all of this is irreplaceable, and for the cost of staying at the resort, we really expect more of the amenities, organization, professionalism of the hotel staff (in particular), and overall experience. I hope to be a guest of Cave B again, as well as attend a concert at the Gorge, but until I learn of improvements about how things are executed I can't say that I will return, let alone recommend Cave B to friends or family. My best friend travelled all the way from Las Vegas, NV for our first girls get-a-way in 4 years, and I was pretty embarrassed about some of the things we experienced and witnessed during our stay. Not only that, but because she knows what excellence is in the world of resorts and customer service (Las Vegas caters to this market like no other in the US), we were particularly sensitive to receiving services for which we had paid.

Recommendations:

- Telephones and/or a way to communicate directly to the staff during any point of the guest's stay
- Nicer towels provided in the Yurts
- Larger mirror in the bathroom
- Adding a Cafe that can provide a way for guests to get an espresso drink throughout the day and/or an easy, yet healthy meal/snack
- Paved and/or finely grated pathways to and from the Yurts and throughout the Sage Cliff campus (adding light on the pathways to the Yurt would also be a great addition)
- Larger lounge/bar area for all guests of Sage Cliff
- Larger restaurant space to accommodate both the guests of Sage Cliff, walk-ins from the surrounding communities, and even special event guests

Again, thank you Bob and Mary (the hosts) for being one of the highlights of our stay. I hope the resort management can take this feedback, and build an amazing experience for guests to come.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

I stopped at Cave B for lunch and fell in love with everything about the place. I tried to get a room, but they were sold out for the weekend. It was my first time visiting the GORGE Amphitheater from California to attend a concert and we were only staying two nights. We had been booked into a hotel 45 minutes from the venue. I met some wonderful friends while having lunch at the Winery and they told me that they had heard of a cancellation at the YURTS- right next door. Alas, I was able to book a YURT- "Chiwana Village at Sage Cliffe". I still had to pay for my hotel night at the other venue, but it was worth is to be able to stay on the cliffs overlooking this gorgeous outlook.
Bob and Carol were so sweet, it felt like I was staying at a family bed and breakfast. I would come back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

This was an unbelivable stay.The people running the yurts went over and beyond any expectations that we had.We first had the wrong tickets printed for the concert and they took time out of their busy schedule to correct the situation.We also accidentally left some items behind and was contacted the following day to inform us that we had left them.They offered to send them to us the next day. The yurts were much better then expected.They are more like a luxurious room.The envirement is very relaxing and I would highly recommend these to anyone. There is a creek with numerous ponds thta flow thru the yurts.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

Spectacular view of the Columbia River in Central Washington. Oh so quiet and off the beaten path. Very comfortable accomodations, excellent food & service; enjoyed dining on the patio. Friendly black lab named "Cuvee" is the designated greeter. Great spa, too. Cave B is adjacent to the Gorge ampitheater; I'm sure it's far noisier and there's more traffic on concert weekends.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

Feeling the need to get out of Seattle for a weekend, I booked two nights at the Cave B Inn. It was a mini "baby moon", our last opportunity to get away before Baby arrives. When I made the reservation, I was told "this is a luxury property, you won't be disappointed." That could not have been farther from the truth.

The Room: We had Cliffhouse #10, a two bedroom unit. It was badly in need of maintenance and repair. Black marks and scuffs on the walls, deteriorating grout in the bathrooms to the point that I didn't even want to take a shower, and stains on the white seat cushions. Not an environment conducive to relaxation. Worse, there was a wasp infestation on our patio so we could not even enjoy the view, but through extremely grungy picture windows. Honestly, how hard is it to clean the windows?

The Restuarant: Tedrils is the only restaurant within miles, so the Inn has a captive audience. The menu is small and there was nothing on it my husband wanted to order. When we asked whether they would make him the burger from the room service menu, they said "NO". So he ordered steak medium well, which came out balck. I ordered the Risotto, which had the consistency of glue. Honestly, you could blindfold yourself and throw a penny in downtown Seattle and hit a better restaurant than Tendrils.

The Spa: The spa was the worst of all. I booked a Mom to Be Facial. When I arrived, they had no special cushions or pillows to support my 7 month pregnant belly. When I asked for a pillow, the therapist took 10 minutes to find three pillows, none of which had pillow cases--yuck. Who wants to use a community pillow without a pillowcase? She then proceeded to do my facial, which was lackluster at best. After several applications of product, she announced that she was leaving for 15 minutes while I "relaxed". I have had a lot of facials, and I have never had the therapist abandon me for 15 minutes. Normally they give you a hand massage or something like that while the mask soaks in. Honestly, the treatment was not relaxing or pampering, and I could have had the same experience wiping product from by bathroom vanity onto my own face. When I called to ask that the charges to my credit card be reversed, the general manager would only agree to credit me back 50% of the charge.

The Service: Service while at the hotel was average. But follow up service was non-existent. When we checked out a day early, the front desk manager said he'd follow up with me by email to "make things right". I never heard from anyone. I called back the following week to discuss the Spa charge and was told they would get back to me the next day. Three days later I had to call them back because I had heard nothing. That is when I was informed that the general manager would only agree to reduce my spa charge by 50%. After I informed the Rooms Manager that I would be writing a review on TripAdvisor, she called me back to tell me that the full amount would be refunded. Why is it necessary for me to make such a threat before the hotel does the right thing?

The Gorge Ampitheater: The concert venue is right next door, and you will have a lovely view of the Sani-cans/port-a-potties from the hotel's property. You'll also get to enjoy the blaring music, so be sure to check the concert schedule. If it isn't a perfomance you would enjoy seeing live, don't book a room because it sounds as if the concert right outside your bedroom door.

Summary: The people who own/run this hotel have no clue what a "luxury" resort is, or how to provide a luxury experience. If you just want a place to stay while at the Gorge that doesn't require you to camp out, it's fine. If you want a relaxing, pampering, rejuvinating experience, stay away from this place! Book yourself a room at the Four Seasons or Fairmont in Seattle and call it good.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Cave B Estate Winery & Resort? Share your experiences!