“This is the Olympic Peninsula People!” 5 of 5 stars

Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Quinault
GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle
“This is the Olympic Peninsula People!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

Let me begin by saying that I have stayed at this Lodge Multiple times a year for the last 7 years, I am a Steelhead fisherman. Many of the reviews on this site are very negative towards this Lodge and I have to ask myself. Where are these people coming from? As for my stays, and I have syayed in all type of rooms ( Boat house,fireplace and lakeside, My only complaint is that they REALLY need a bigger coffee pot. The rooms have always been clean and in good order except for the Boathouse. The Boathouse is VERY rustic and has retained the decor since, my guess is the early seventies. I cannot say that the rooms were not clean but grundgy (sp). However, after staying in all rooms the Boathouse is my favorite. I come out here to enjoy being in what I percieve as the most wild area in washington a road can lead to. I agree that the food is expensive in the resturaunt but it is at least 4 star, always. I recommend the filet topped with Dungeoness crab meat (5 star for sure). If you find the food too much money there is plenty of choices (sort of) in the area all within fifteen minutes drive through beautiful country. My next reccomendation and where I eat the most would be the rainforest restaurant just five extra minutes on the road past the lodge deeper into the Rainforest. The food has never disappointed. There is also three other places just back out on 101, ten minutes away, two of which offer free wi-fi for the wire heads. I cannot say to much about the food at the Shake mill other than its average. Enough about food. Maybe some people are used to five star resorts with all accomodations, but this is the Olympic Peninsula my friends. The only temperate rainforest of the contingent united states. You will find solitude, hiking, wildlife and less than an hour in any direction world class fishing that rivals any other rivers outside of Alaska. I attribute this to the watersheds being fully protected within Olympic national park. The Lodge is more than fairly priced for the ambiance alone(if I owned it I would raise rates at least 20%, and most people would not complain. Expect rain. Its the Rainforest. As for the bad reviews, I believe that some may come with much higher expectations, but on the same note My expectations are always met. There is no better place to stay on the Peninsula. Period. And I have been to others. I will stay here even when I plan on fishing an hour and a half away. Staff has always been friendly and helpful ( ok, one time I got some bad vibes from the night keeper when my wife and I were feeding the fire in the great room at 2:30 am, but we MAY have been being a little loud :) ). I would definatly reccomend staying here and when you do here are some things you should try. Drive the loop around the lake, you are almost guaranteed to see a herd of Roosavelt elk. Hire a fishing guide and fish a local river ( the lower section below the lake is truly World class but requires an Indian guide.). Hike one of the many trails in the area including two that are right across the street. Drive 30 minutes north and Beachcomb at one of the four beaches including World famous Ruby beach. When you get there I'm sure you will recall some great photos. I know this all may seem a little biased but this is a great place to visit. I dont always stay at the Lodge, when I dont I am camping. My whole family has great memories here and staying at the Lodge is just icing on the wilderness cake. Dont believe the bad reviews unless you were expecting the Hilton. Dont even book a room, there are other places to stay, but at least go by there and check it out. I am positive that if you come, you will stay.

• Liked — Ambiance
  • Disliked — Lack of time to stay
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

1,013 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2007

built in 1926, main lodge rooms are ok, we had one on the lake, in the midst of huge trees, no view, but next to the many trails, and huge lawn of the main lodge and roosevelt dining room, nice food, a bit pricey. april is a good time, slow pace, and quiet, moss forests a treat and flowers in bloom. decor in room pretty basic. front desk said the newer fireplace rooms are the best/have best views of the lake.

Stayed April 2007
Seattle WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2007

Very lovely location, nice lobby, decent restaurant (breakfast very good). We did not stay in the main building - the room was a little oddly decorated (wicker? seemed out of place in the rainforest lodge). The problem was the bed. I think the floor would have been more comfortable.

Possible the rooms in the main lodge were better, but I suspect the mattresses are all the same....

• Liked — Location, restaurant
  • Disliked — uncomfortable bed
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
gulf coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2007

I stayed 2 nights at Lake Quinault. The room could use updating, but it was clean, spacious, and comfortable. The grounds and lake are beautiful, and there are great hiking trails minutes from the lodge. The restaurant served very good food, with good service. Get a table close to the window, and enjoy watching the hummingbirds up close! I Good accomodations in a historic lodge. It's on the rustic side which is what I expected. I would happily return.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Clinton, MS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2007

I am confused by the reviews posted here and hope that the lodge hasn't gone down the tubes since my enchanting visit in 2005. My traveling partner and I had orginally booked only 2 nights at the end of our backpacking trip in Olympic National Park, but one of our hikes got rained out and, as it was pretty chilly out, we decided to extend our stay in the lodge. The desk was very helpful and accomodating. We also stayed in a boathouse room, and did not have a problem with noise or cleanliness levels. We spent much of our rainy stay in the lodge's great room with the AWESOME fireplace. We also really enjoyed the pool, sauna, and restaurant. The latter had the best fish in butter caper sauce and monte cristo sandwich ever! The only problem we did have was when we tried to rent a canoe. The boatman "Willy" was AWOL pretty much every time we tried, but once we spoke to the desk about it, they took care of it and we got our canoe. We also did not feel that the hotel was overpriced--we spent about $80-$90 a night while we were there--that includes som weekend nights. The gift shop was also great. I would recommend the boathouse room we had for anyone, and encourage people to give it another try.

• Liked — onsite restaurant
  • Disliked — surrounding community lacked entertainment options
  • Stayed May 2005, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle/Fremont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2007

Got a real deal that was a special in the Seattle PI. Lakeside room for $12. Every staff member I talked to was so helpful and clearly took pride in their stewardship of this historical lodge.
Room was clean, bright and had a TV VCR. The grounds were amazing. The sauna was HOT and the pool was very comfortable. I told one employee about some of these whiney reviews. OK. It rains all the time here. WET means mildew, moss and a lot of upkeep. It is a lodge, not a Marriott. For being in the edge of wilderness there was a tradeoff between city amenities and rustic comfort. The lodge fireplace room invited socializing. If you need to unplug, get off the internet, put away the cell phone and all other communication devices for a real retreat, this is the place. Can't wait to go back. FDR visited the lodge and the road trip was enough to convince him to push the creation of Olympic National Park. Elanor arrived later in the trip in a bright Cadillac convertible driven by her "Secretary." It is a legacy. I just wish there was more history presented. If you want all the creature comforts, bring the motorhome or stay in Seattle.

Stayed March 2007
Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2007

Believe the bad reviews. They are most accurate. I am not a picky person, and as long as I am comfortable I don't care what a place looks like; too much. I did like the Fireside rooms even though the lake was obsured by tree tops. What I can't stand, under any circumstances is incompetence. I am tolerant of one not having an immediate answer but not having the answer and not caring either, is a different story.

I've stayed at the lodge many times in the past and was happy with it. (New management from my earlier stays in the 80's and 90's perhaps). This last stay was horrible. The staff is very unprofessional, rude, uncaring, immature and unfriendly. The resturant is horrible. Every aspect of management at this place seems helter skelter..

The bottom line: Read all the reviews for yourself but know that the "one" star comments are dead on.

Stayed January 2007
Still looking for a hotel?