“The main lodge is beautiful...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Quinault
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
The Road
“The main lodge is beautiful...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

That said, we didn't actually stay in the main lodge, we stayed in a ground floor room in a newer (but far from new), two-story motel-type building. Although it wasn't spectacular, it was very pleasant. A few points, though:

* On one of the two nights of our stay, there was a plague of carpenter ants, and the door to our room wasn't very tight-fitting. Although we try to show compassion for all living things, it was tiresome transplanting literally dozens of these creatures back outside and then blocking off the bottom of the door with a wet towel to impede their entry.
* No activity is allowed on or in the lake at the behest of the local tribe. I can only assume that this is for political reasons, since there is no ecological reason not to allow swimming, at least.
* As with the other properties we visited in Olympic National Park, it was our impression that maintenance and housekeeping were short-staffed and that there were problems with management.
* There was no charging station for electric vehicles. Fortunately, ours was a plug-in hybrid, so we weren't stuck, but really, shouldn't a national park care about air pollution, climate change and such?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Our room in the Lakeside renovated rooms were the most updated and modern rooms I have ever experienced at ANY national park. Aramark did a nice job. DNC needs to do something similar about Kalaloch Lodge. It had two beds and a sofabed to accommodate our large family comfortably. We really enjoyed our short stay at Quinault. I didn't know the main lodge had a pool. But the Lake and grassy area were beautiful and relaxing. If I didn't have a large family, I would have loved to stay in the main lodge. It is a classic park lodge and probably one of the best in the country. I wished I could have spent more time at Lake Quinault. I hope to come back some day.

• Stayed July 2013
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed at Lake Quinault Lodge 3 nights from 7/16/13 to 7/18/13. The Lodge was beautiful but 2 nights would have been enough. The first night we were in room 114 which was to have been a view room but in my opinion was not. I asked to be moved to a room with a better view and there was no availability for other rooms the first night but we did move to room 226 for the 2nd and 3rd day which was a wonderful move. The view was so much better. For the price we paid we deserved a good view. The pool, sauna, lawn games, game room, and the bring your own/make your own smores at the evening camp fire by the Lake were very enjoyable. The hiking was good. Make sure to plan for mosquitoes. The water in Lake Quinault felt great to hiking tired feet. Make sure to see the giant trees and there are quite few of them. We had 2 evening meals in the Roosevelt room and one evening meal at the Salmon House about a mile down the road from Lake Quinault Lodge. The quality of food was great at both locations and commensurate with the pricing at each location. Don't be surprised at the prices check them out on line if you have concerns. There was a grocery store across the way from the Lodge that made breakfast as we wanted to get a jump on our days earlier than the Roosevelt Room was open for breakfast but they too only started at 7:00 am while the Roosevelt room started at 8:00 am. We very much enjoyed the stay and might go back sometime just for one evening on the way around the Washington State Olympic Forrest.

Room Tip: If you are interested in the King bed rooms, with fireplaces and Lake Views I would suggest requesti...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Fortaleza, CE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Olympic National Park is not like Mt. Rainier. There are no lodgings with views of spectacular peaks, though we could see some snowcapped peaks in the distance. This is a place for relaxing, with some walking and hiking opportunities nearby. On one way we drove to the Hoh Rainforest Visitors Center and walked there. Also dropped by a couple of beach areas just up the coast. We also took a 3-4 hour van and walking tour, through a concessionaire, from the lodge (cost about $30 pp and was worth it; when we later went to the Hoh area, we didn't worry about taking the ranger walk with large crowds). Thank goodness there is no "fairytale town" here. The lodge is on national forest land, very close to the border of the national park, and adjoins land owned by a local Native American tribe (they control access to the lake and while swimming was allowed, including from floating docks, boat trips had been at least temporarily curtailed due to the tribe's complaints about environmental problems).

The lodge is not inexpensive by any means. By the time we booked, the choices were traditional rooms, with fireplaces, in one of the original buildings, or rooms in the recently renovated wing. As it was mid-summer and I knew my wife sometimes doesn't like the most rustic of places, we chose the latter. We were happy with our choice, though some may prefer the other rooms as they are, according to the receptionist, a bit larger. Our wing was 3 stories high, with no elevator but with ramps rather than stairs, so taking luggage upstairs wasn't burdensome. There were high fir trees in back of our room, so we had privacy. From our small balcony in back we could get a nice view of the lake.

When you arrive you will see a notice that while Wi-Fi coverage is available in most rooms, cell phone coverage is very spotty at best. And there are no phones in the rooms, to foster quiet and serenity (though our room had a large flatscreen TV). We had to walk to the lawn area in back of the main lodge to get any cell phone coverage and even that could be spotty at times. There are pay phones in the lodge, just off the beautiful wood lobby (which had a fire going at all times).

There are snacks available in the reception area, and a basic café across the street (we had lunch there once, but service was very, very slow). The Roosevelt Room, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, is good, and with nice views of the grass area and a bit of the lake, but is a bit expensive. Our best dinner was at the Salmon House, at the Rainforest Lodge about a mile up the road.

I slept well every one of the 3 nights we spent there. My wife said that on one night our neighbor talked late into the night. Parking can get tight especially right in front of the lodge. We did not have time to use the indoor pool in the lodge and felt it was a bit cool to swim, especially in the morning (we were usually busy throughout the day).

Room Tip: Get a room facing the lake.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed for two nights at the lodge. There are far more pros than cons to this story but necessary to point out.

Pros: The lodge is extremely charming. It has an old world charm and the grounds are beautifully maintained. The interior is decorated with what you would expect, leather sofas, large fireplace, scattered tables and deer heads. Very nicely done. The registration area is also the gift shop with great eye appeal. There is a restaurant there, along with a full bar. Plenty of seating inside and out. The back area is a huge sloping lawn with adirondack chairs and tables with umbrellas. It slopes down to a "beach" with more chairs and a fire pit for night time fires (I would recommend, it is a lot of fun to sit around with other guests.) There is a swim platform as well. (See warning below) This is a great place to take a family. Lawn games, plenty of space to run around and we saw several dogs as well, so they are pet friendly. Price was a bit steep for a state park facility and the gift shop although stocked with a lot of fun stuff, is pricey.

Cons: The Native American Indians own the Lake. Due to some rift they are having with the town, they have posed a no entry policy!! Although they recently began allowing swimming in the water, there is NO other water activity allowed. No kayaking, paddle boarding, motor boats etc. This was unexpected and the lodge made NO attempt to inform us of this when we reserved rooms. This is the main reason why the average score from me. We had planned days on the water. The lodge should put some sort of message on their website making people aware of this restriction so that travelers can make an informed decision about their plans. The other negatives in my opinion, was the slow service in the restaurant at dinner time (server Dani, terrible service, basically ignored us) and the fact that due to this inn being old, the walls are PAPER THIN and the floors creak. The people above us must have had an early start each day because their walking around (wood floors) woke us both days (around 6 a.m.) Tiny bathrooms with the sinks in the rooms. Also, although this is not a problem for us, there are no TVs in the rooms. It is probably a good thing due to the walls being so thin....

If I were to stay here again, I would ask for an upper floor (although no elevator) and one at the end of the hall for a more quiet experience. I would also eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor for more quiet experience.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
White Lake, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have always wanted to stay at one of the National Park Lodges and Lake Quinalt Lodge exceeded my expectations. The lawn over looking the lake and mountains was breath taking. My family and I went on the Walk with Mary, it was a two hour guided forest tour. It was wonderful we learned so much about the rainforest. It was fascinating and it was free! I would highly recommend the Lodge and the walk.

The snack bar across the street was delicious, we ate three meals there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay at the lodge. This is a beautiful lodge. This time I was a solo traveler and felt so at home. I had a room in the lodge which is the only room type I have enjoyed. Clean, comfortable and a great bed ! Internet and cell phone not too reliable here, but you can find hot spots out on the lawn. The new chef in the restaurant has made some great progressive improvements. Dressings for my Reuben sandwich at lunch on the side. I had the salmon for dinner, fresh, and perfectly cooked. Last September I was here for my 65th birthday with girlfriends and we thought the salmon served then was overlooked, not as appealing. Fresh items, healthier options is a great new trend for the lodge meals. I didn't eat breakfasts there so can't comment. The next surprise was the lodges rainforest van tour, Charlie was our guide, and this was a highlight of my 7 days in the ONP. So underpriced for 4 hours of stories, information, plant and tree identification. I went away with a true understanding of the rainforest. Trails are so accessible, varied, even waterfalls that are easy to get to. I can't wait until I return again !!

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Lake Quinault Lodge? Share your experiences!