“Generous portions, great beer” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #36 of 198 Restaurants in Puyallup
Cuisines: American
Bremerton, WA
“Generous portions, great beer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We ate here on a Saturday evening, and although the wait for a table was only about 10 minutes, we chose to sit and eat at the bar.
Good choice. The bartender was attentive, extremely knowledgable about the beers (mostly brewed on site), and provided excellent service.
We had ribs and fish and chips. The full rack of ribs is HUGE, a half rack is what many places call a full rack. The meat was tender, and nicely sauced.
Fish and chips were good, although the batter was a little heavier than I prefer, they were tasty, with a side of excellent slaw and some nice fries.

A word about the decor - this was the substation for the Interurban trolley, and the owners made great use of the old dials, gauges, and glass insulators. It is immediately next to the railroad tracks, so when a train comes by, you know it!
We will be back when we are in this neighborhood again.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“concept great, execution not so good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

yelped this one as a 'farm to table' restaurant so we went. There were 4 of us and the food was less than spectacular. Not even the beer was great! Wine was run of the mill. Cesaar salad was made with old romaine, couldn't eat part of it. The hamburger had by one of our party was inedible on the first try and just didn't look appetizing even on the repeat. Pizza was ok, nothing special. Will not go back

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Bonney Lake
“Looking for a good hamburger...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

The best hamburger I ever ate was in a small town in Oregon. It was juicy, with lettuce, a thick slice of tomato that was not cut on a dermatome (look it up) and a thick slice of onion, not a couple onion rings or some chopped onion pieces. I have Oregon to thank for demonstrating what a really good hamburger is like. Because I began to eat there regularly, their consistency proved that a good product is all in the planning and execution. I think I typically paid $5-$6.

I have been trying to find a restaurant in my neck of the woods (now Washington state) that can equal or at least meet an acceptable semblance of a good hamburger. The Powerhouse Restaurant's flagship rendition advertises their hamburger as the “best you will ever eat”. I am sorry to disagree. It was, in fact one of the worst. It was dry, had a few onion pieces, maybe a tomato(?) slice. The nice thing was the bun had been toasted to prevent it from becoming soggy. Problem was, there was no chance of that ever happening either way. I think when I am charged $14 for a hamburger, it should indeed be at least one of the best hamburgers I’ve ever had.

The only reason I didn’t rate this restaurant as poor was because 1) The waitresses were wonderful and 2) the hamburgers around my area are all poor in my opinion, making them all average…albeit a poor average.

However, if you are into beer, this is a place to be…just pass on their hamburger.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Fort Lewis, Washington
“Powerfully tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I had ordered an amber beer, when I was not satisfied with it, the waiter came back with another beer right away. I was pleased with the seasonal beer. Good service. My wife and I ordered 2 different specials upon the recommendation of the waiter. The first was spaghetti and meatballs. The meatballs were very good, the spaghetti and sauce was delicious. My wife had the halibut and chips, she remarked at how good her food was. All in all a great restaurant to visit. The decor was even nice. Come on in, set a spell, enjoy.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Puyallup, WA
“Always a good meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

My family likes to go here for casual family birthday dinners. The food is always tasty and the service is reliable. It has better than average pub/bar food and they brew their own beers that are good with a fairly varied wine selection by the glass.

• Visited March 2014