“Charming with a catch” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Waterstreet Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Townsend
The Waterstreet Hotel
You added The Waterstreet Hotel to your Saves list
635 Water St, Port Townsend, WA 98638   |
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Charming with a catch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

The hotel is really pretty and has a lot of historical charm.
However, while the employees are friendly, they are not as accommodating as some other hotels I have been to. I was traveling with a work partner and to save money we decided to share a room. The room with two beds was booked so we had to take a room with a bed and a futon. We were told that we could use a trifold on the futon to make it more comfortable. Upon arrival the desk clerk was completely unaware of this discussion and later that night left the bed things they were to provide in a pile outside our hotel room door. The futon was in pretty bad shape. (even sitting in it you could feel the metal bars), so my partner chose to put the tri-fold on the floor. The room was decently priced... but not cheap enough to have one guest sleeping on the floor.
In the end I realized that since this is not your typical hotel with cookie cutter rooms that we should have called earlier to book the only room with 2 beds. We got to peek at some of the other (more costly) rooms, which seemed pretty nice. I would definitely recommend them to families that are looking for a place to stay on vacation.
Overall, it was a unique and fun experience staying at the Waterstreet, but it may not be for everybody. As long as you are willing to be a little patient and understanding, it is in a really neat location next to lots of food, shopping and the beach!

Room Tip: None of these rooms are exactly the same. You can go on the Waterstreet website and view the rooms t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
La Jolla, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Before getting our room at the Waterstreet Hotel, my wife and I looked at rooms at almost all of the other hotels and a few of the bed and breakfasts in PT. The room wasn't the best but it wasn't bad. The rate was the best by far and you can't beat the location. If you want a modern, fancy hotel this isn't for you. If you can handle rustic and want to be transported back to the 18th century then this is the place for you.

Mary at the front desk is as nice as can be.

For breakfast try the Blue Moose which is about a mile south.

By the way this is the place where they filmed the bar, fight scene on the street in front of this hotel from "An Officer and a Gentleman". Fort Worden is just to the north and looks the same as it did in the movie.

What a cool town.

Room Tip: Some rooms have newer beds so check the room first.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Vallecito, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We thought staying in a
Charming old hotel would be a nice and different experience and based on the reviews we booked a room for two nights. We knew the room was on the second floor and expected one flight of stairs which really turned out to be two flights of stairs, which my grandson lugged up two suitases. We should have stopped there. It was chilly enough to use the heater which didn't work. One of the women in the lobby gave us a small heater which did not work either. My husband almost fell twice in the bathroom because there was a half a step to get into the shower. Quaint it is but it needs some serious updating. I hope if you get far enough in the reviews that you book somewhere else. Ask one of the locals.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Burnaby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The Waterstreet Hotel Built in 1889 is an excellent old hotel, so that’s what 124 years old? So yes it’s going to smell and look old. Some of the most excellent aspects of the hotel, well no internet, I didn’t want to ask just in case they have it. No phone in the room that we could find; give them a ten out of ten. Crappy TV they only get a nine out of ten. Would have given them a ten if they didn’t have TV. No candy or vending machines ten out of ten. No ice machine how can you give more than a ten out of ten for that. No elevator nine out of ten. The bed worked well and the light in the room was perfect for reading and ebook and even better for a real book. Being downtown was really inconvenient as trying to find a good restaurant within five minute walk was far too numerous. You really miss out on the driving and the parking aspect. Mary and the staff really are accommodating and just nice people to talk to. Walking around window shopping, eating, people watching is perfect. Ton’s of book and antique stores within walking distance. I’d recommend this for the convenience, price and not being like the all the same hotel and motel chains. This place is not for everybody so if you’re looking for something a bit off of the “chain franchise route” this might be it.

Room Tip: Number 5 beautiful.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rock Hill, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I recently stayed here in Room 12 for 9 days while I helped a family member fix up his house. I needed a quiet, clean, comfortable place to rest and regroup -- and this was perfect! Mary, at the hotel desk, was very gracious and helpful. A key requirement for me was cost, and, at $60 per night including tax and everything, this place could not be beat! The maid service was very good as was the wifi. It is within walking distance of everything that I needed, including my family member's house. The shared bath was modern and comfortable. The room was attractive with high ceilings and high Victorian windows that faced the street. The bed was extremely comfortable with tons of pillows. The sink in the room was handy. The room was quiet; what street noise there was kind of lolled me to sleep.

My local family members remembered the wild days of the 60s at the hotel when one permanent resident put up a swing for his teenage kids at the top of the third floor stairs; this swing swung dizzily over a 20 foot drop. This place is steeped in 122 years of Port Townsend history!

Room Tip: I really liked Room 12 with the shared bath.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Margate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stole the title from the previous review as it summed up the stay for me. Great location and the lady on the front desk was very nice and gave us good recommendations. We had a corner room at the front on the first floor with a shared bathroom. Everything was clean and the room was very spacious. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Gunnison, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I recently completed a two week camping trip through Washington and Oregon, but I wanted to stay again at the Waterstreet Hotel when we hit Port Townsend, as I and my parents had stayed there seven years ago on their final big trip together, and it was one of the highlights of our journey. Then we had stayed in room #5 (?) which was large with a kitchenette and a mini loft in which I slept. The best feature, however, was the large back deck from which we enjoyed watching ships, boats, skullers, and the sunset. Very cool. When my husband and I arrived, that room was available, but we couldn't afford it on our budget so we opted for a much smaller room at the top of the stairs with a shared bathroom, which was fine. The hotel has been described by other guests, so I won't elaborate, but we observed that the place has been nicely renovated but it is not elaborate, just cozy. If you're looking for five stars, this probably isn't it, but if you like character with your comfort, give it a try.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Waterstreet Hotel? Share your experiences!