“dream trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Manresa Castle

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Townsend
Manresa Castle
You added Manresa Castle to your Saves list
7th & Sheridan, Port Townsend, WA 98368   |
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Yakima
“dream trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

What a weekend, spending two night in the Manresa Castle, and Port Townsend having a Victorian weekend. March 22 & 23, 2013
Again the decor all thru the castle in a 1800 mode, taking you back to those younger years. We had a room on the third floor looking out over the water which gave us a wonder view, and really great in the evening and the sun rise in the morning,
We had the two evening meals in the restaurant and it was out of this world. Saturday being my wife's birthday and the staff went all out to help her enjoy her day. With a new manager for the restaurant coming this past January must have helped. The free breakfasts in the morning was a little light on variety but enough to make both of us full.
One note: my wife is 5'8" and felt the bed was just a little high, she sort of jumped to get on the bed - nothing major.

Room Tip: for better view ask for upper room and water view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
GIG HARBOR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Enjoyed a one night stay at this unique place a little off the beaten path. It's decor is cool and time fitting for the castle. I felt like a princess! It was quiet, cozy and interesting to read the history on this castle!

• Stayed March 2013
Wasilla, Alaska, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We were very excited when we drove up to the Manresa Castle. The building was amazing. We had a late arrival and called ahead to let the front desk know. They were very kind and assured us our room would be held for us. When we arrived, we were met by the front desk clerk and she gave us our key and directions to our room. Because we had several pieces of luggage she let us take them up on the service elevator. There are no elevators for guests so if you have a mobility problem, it is best to stay on the first floor.

Our room was on the third floor and the windows overlooked the parking lot and front of the hotel. The room was huge by hotel standards and had a good sized bathroom but sadly, just a shower. However, we did notice that some of the rooms did not have adjoining bathrooms so felt lucky that ours did.

We loved the ambience of the hotel and explored all of the floors. The decor was great and the rooms were very authentic to the time.

We were there on a Monday and Tuesday night and unfortunately those were the 2 nights that the restaurant was closed so we didn't get to eat in it. However, there was a continental breakfast served each morning in the breakfast room and we did take advantage of it. It wasn't extensive but the offerings were good.

Overall, it was a good experience and we would recommend it to those looking for a unique alternative to regular hotels. It is not a luxury hotel, but just a unique and cozy place to stay.

Room Tip: First floor if you have mobility issues. And - make sure you check to see if there is a bathroom in...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband had booked 2 nights here as part of my birthday celebration. Front desk staff was cheerful and friendly.

The place is old and one of the reasons people stay here is for the history of the place and old style furnishings and window coverings.

Our first room was actually 2 rooms - a bed in each part - tho one really needed a foot stool to be able to get into one of the beds comfortably. Lots of windows - only blinds - which did not stop all the outdoor light from coming into the room.

Unfortunately, this room was next to the stairwell and at 6:00 in the morning we were woken up by workers (who were staying at rooms across the way) who were shouting at one another in the hallway and then went clomping down the stairs. This was not a good start to our day and most annoying as I couldn't fall back to sleep.

In the afternoon we were moved to another room in another section of the castle. This was a large bright room with lots of windows and a window on the door. A very spacious room - nicely decorated. One could see a road and the grocery market from the windows. Lots of traffic going by in the afternoon and morning. These windows and door window of course let lots of light into our room at night time.

Furnishings in both rooms were from days gone by - thus adding to the historic appeal of the rooms and castle. Unfortunately, the sofa in each room was really well used so rather uncomfortable to sit on.

Due to the location of the 2nd room (far away from the boiler) it took a long time to get hot water for a shower .

Now, I was expecting to be able to sleep in. Nope, we were woken up at 5:45 am by the sound of a transport truck - thought it was heading straight into our room. After that more sounds of traffic. Fortunately, I was able to fall back to sleep.

Breakfast - other then toast/tea/coffee everything else was cold and most had a high sugar content. No eggs.

The breakfast area was in the lower part of the building - dark - low lighting and no windows.

The parlour area was nicely decorated with antique furniture - chairs/sofa most uncomfortable to sit on due to the padding being worn out.

The castle is away from the centre of Port Townsend so a car is necessary to get to/from there.

The restaurant was going to be open for dinner but we ate in town. There would have been a good variety to choose from.

Room Tip: The castle in December was renting out rooms to workers who come there every few weeks to work at a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Olympia, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

February 8, 2013
Our experience at Manresa Castle
We started off the first evening without an elevator and a room on the third floor, although the front desk offered to take us up on the elevator, this was awkward. Entering the room we found an old, Victorian style room with warn bedding. After settling into the room we realized that although the brochure said there was Wi-Fi, it is not accessible in the room (part of the reason we chose this location). In addition, there was no remote for the television, no coffee, no hairdryer, etc. I understand that the accommodations are not supposed to be completely modernized; however, there are some amenities that would improve the experience. We could have spent our time at another hotel for half the money.
As part of our accommodations we were given cut out paper coupons for an appetizer and beverage from the bar (paper coupons were too casual). We enjoyed our meal and appreciated the professional and prompt service from the waitress. The server was prompt with bringing our items and the chef came to make sure everything was okay as well. Our 30 minutes in the restaurant is the only positive portion of our trip.
After dinner we settled down to watch a movie in our room. When we got into bed the squeaking of the bed was sure to keep us awake. The baseboard heater continued to have a ticking sound throughout the night. During our attempts to get comfortable, the bed had no other choice but to squeak. Due to personal illness I was required to get out of bed quite often, waking my husband with the sqeak of the bed and the even louder squeak of the bathroom door.
Although we have a water view this room disappoints. When we came downstairs for the complimentary continental breakfast we found a lack of options, possibly due to low occupancy? We enjoyed the coffee but the remaining options were a little more basic than anticipated, not so special to have toast with no jam or peanut butter…. Perhaps offering muffins or waffles would be a more filling meal, some bacon with the hardboiled eggs. Offering fruit would be another nice option….more than two small oranges?
Suffice it to say this has not been the most promising experience of our trip to Port Townsend and Manresa Castle. For the accommodations and expense I would expect a higher quality of service. As I type this I am listening to the “housekeeper’s” yelling back and forth to each other down the hallway. A time for rest has now become further irritability due to the lack of professionalism from the staff. The “housekeeper’s” continued throughout the day and one said, “Everyone knows a Pollock can’t walk and chew gum at the same time…” I just feel that this environment should present a more positive and professional experience for guests.
Coming back the evening of February 7th we found no one at the front desk. No one has said a thing to us since check-in. Not even a “good morning” while we were in the breakfast dining area. Our final morning we were up well before check-out and when we turned in our key the “housekeeper” called back to the front desk representative, “Is that all you need from this one?” We are extremely disappointed and at this point our backs hurt so bad we are looking forward to getting home. I ask that the owner read this and take these complaints seriously to improve the stay for future guests. We, however, will not be returning.
Regretfully,

M&M

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Buckley, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

To whom it may concern.
I think it’s best to inform you before we mention on rating sites how we feel with our stay at Manresa Castle.
My husband and I stayed Friday, January 4, 2013 for our wedding anniversary. Much to our disappointment
The restaurant was not open. But even more disappointing was how downright nasty and dirty the floor in our room was. We should have left right then and there but it appeared the attendant at the desk didn’t seem to have it too much together herself.
To top it off we came home to have little black cockroaches in our luggage and now in our house.
Disgusting.
Had we known the restaurant was closed and that the owners were in the process of changing hands and apparently not caring how the place looked. WE Would NOT have chosen to stay here. We were shocked and should have said so at the time.
I am actually dumbfounded we stayed but that was a heck of a hike up to our room.
So needless to say the Castle will not be getting any good reviews for such an overpriced room that would go elsewhere for $40.00 for the condition it was in. Another thing, you can tell much by how the Christmas bows, all crumpled up, hung at the not very good selection of breakfast items, showed the lack of any effort to be eye pleasing to the guest.
How does one make up for such a loss of what was to be a good get-away for my husband and myself?
Genora Powell

Room Tip: I suggest just visiting the unique place and stay over-night at another location. The bed blankets...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Snohomish
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have a mixed opinion of the Castle, Of course it is really unique and my boyfriend and I had an alright stay. The staff was super friendly and let us check in an hour early, which was really nice of them. However I was very disappointed when I found out the restaurant and lounge was closed for the weekend that we were up. Just my luck! We bumped into another couple who were equally disappointed; the man said that the front desk told him that the closure was posted on the website. I looked over the website many times before making the reservations and it did NOT say anything about the closure. But just to be sure the man pulled the hotel’s website up on his phone and it said nothing about the closure. It should have been mandatory for the hotel to notify the customers of this when they make reservations, especially since reservations can only be made by calling in and talking to the front desk and not online. I would have defiantly changed my plans due to the closure. The hotel is over priced but the saving grace is that it has a place to get drinks right down the stairs. Because to be honest the room itself was mediocre and not really kept up all that well. There was only one light fixture in the room and one of the bulbs was out, which I would not even mention but there was also a bulb out in the light fixture above the bathroom mirror. The bed frame was literally falling apart but the mattress was very comfortable. Now, all that might not seem so bad if you were paying 80 bucks a night at a motel six but even the cheapest room here is $120 a night. I think that if the lounge would have been open it would have been a much better experience because I was really looking forward to having a good meal and some drinks, and I love the idea of having the lounge right there in the hotel so you don’t have to drive back after knocking back a few. But since the website didn’t say it was closed, the email response I got didn’t mention it, and the front desk didn’t tell me when I called (Which gave them plenty of opportunities to say something) you have a disappointed couple. I am yet to decide if I will give the Castle another shot.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Manresa Castle? Share your experiences!