“Seasonally overpriced” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Swan Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Townsend
Swan Hotel
You added Swan Hotel to your Saves list
222 Monroe St, Port Townsend, WA 98368   |
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Portland
“Seasonally overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

In summer, you'd feel lucky to have a room so close to the cute main strip of Port Townsend. In the gray, wet winter, $89 is too much for a room with views of a concrete wall and a soggy marina. The room was clean, the bed comfortable, there was hot water, but the parking lot was barely graded, the only room lock was the doorknob switch, there was no safe or closet. Soundproofing was also an issue; fortunately, the folks above me kept regular hours. It was adequate, but not worth the price.

Room Tip: Top floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Oxnard, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

This hotel is at the water's edge and the view is perfect. It is also within walking distance of shops and restaurants. The room rates are reasonable, and the hotel is in great shape - neat, modern and clean. Lots of local information and use of a computer is provided in the office. Looking forward to coming back again, maybe during whale watching season.

Room Tip: The view of the water and boats is wonderful from the second floor - facing the water. There are ch...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

My husband and I were there for a wedding at the museum next door and the hospitality was excellent! Great location and extra cozy rooms. Highly recommend it! Great for groups of people to book the whole thing, too (like we did)

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the marina
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed at The Swan the weekend of Nov. 12, 2011. We were on the second floor and had a lovely view of the water and boats. Our room was well-appointed, and most importantly, perfectly clean. Lots of coffee and tea available, a fridge,microwave, and a good location, just steps from downtown. The staff was very friendly. Hope we can get back there! Kathy and Craig Lesley.

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I stay at The Swan once a year when I visit Port Townsend for an art retreat. The service is good and the people are very friendly. I started out in one of the small rooms on the ground floor and then moved to one of their cabins. I've never stayed in any of the rooms on the higher floors because there's no elevator and I do not pack light.

The ground floor room I stayed in was small but charming and cozy. The cabin is of course bigger, but still very cozy and my home away from home with everything one could possibly need for a week-long stay: microwave, refrigerator, free internet and a gas fireplace to keep you toasty. There's a supermarket in town that is open 24 hours for the ultimate in convenience and the cabins have their own designated parking spot just steps from your front door. Also worth noting, the local pizza shop, Waterfront Pizza, is SO GOOD and they deliver. :)

Many shops and restaurants are within walking distance, but I would suggest renting a car to really go exploring. You'll want to visit nearby Fort Worden State Park, which is only about a ten minute drive from this hotel.

And now for the DRAWBACKS:
Right across the street there is a bar where folks like to hang out front and sometimes they can get a bit loud. The window treatments are a bit thin and so the privacy factor can be an issue, especially with the above mentioned bar folk. And one more thing that may or may not be a problem for you (certainly not for me because I stay by myself) but the bathroom wall in the cabin doesn't go all the way to the ceiling. It's more like a partition wall, so there's not a whole lot of privacy to be had there, if you happen to be staying with another person.

But, like I said, this is my home away from home and I definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you are disabled or just have heavy luggage, I recommend the ground floo...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
DDobie, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor! We’re glad to hear that you’ve had a lovely stay and found a home away from home! We always strive to ensure that your visit is as comfortable and convenient as possible and we’re happy to hear that you’ve enjoyed our various complimentary amenities such as free Wifi and wired internet access, mini kitchenette and propane fireplace. We also offer additional extras free of charge with our cottages, including coffee and tea service, jetted tubs, robes, HDTV, and DVD player.

In regards to the drawbacks you mentioned, we do apologize for any noise that interrupted your stay. The American Legion Hall is across the street and although it is quiet most nights, the occasional merriment of its patrons can be heard. As for the bathroom walls in the cottages; yes, they do not reaching the ceiling, but we consider it part of their cozy charm. However, all of the bathrooms in our studio rooms are fully enclosed, for guests who prefer such accommodations.

Hope to see you for next year’s art retreat!
Vancouver, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I stayed in The Swan Cottage #2 in October. My second stay at the hotel, I'd remembered how clean and cozy the cottage had been when I'd stayed here before years ago. The hotel is within walking distance of old town shops and The Swan provides a little map pointing out places to eat nearby.
Our stay was for 2 nights, we parked the car and walked to nearby shops and restaurants. Everything we needed was in the cottage: tv, coffee maker, microwave, fridge, and a gas wood stove that warms up the room in minutes. Even in October, the gardens along the back were still pretty, but a little too cool and damp to sit in our adirondack chairs.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Nice room. Free internet, in room coffee, refrigerator.

Room Tip: I would stay on 2nd floor
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!