“small “suite”; Lilliputian bath, bathroom” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Old Consulate Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Townsend
Old Consulate Inn
313 Walker St., Port Townsend, WA 98368   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 18 Port Townsend B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
orcas island, wa
“small “suite”; Lilliputian bath, bathroom”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The "Tower suite” consists of a small bed area with a small cupola/sitting area and a Lilliputian toilet/sink area and a Lilliputian bath tub area (no shower). The toilet/sink area was tiny, with VERY little room to maneuver and no place to put toiletries (except a rickety shelf set above the toilet (don’t drop anything or in the toilet it goes)). The bath tub (with no standup shower) had a sloping ceiling with a maximum of 4 feet of headroom in the tub, fully exposed to the bed area (except for a drooping lace curtain that was annoying at best). If you are a medium or large size person (I’m 6’2” and 170 lbs) you will not be able to maneuver in the toilet/sink and bath tub areas except with great difficulty. The “suite” also had only one opening window (in the cupola) that did nothing to cool the sleeping area. The suite is very uncomfortable, overall. Also, you are asked to put a tip (for housekeeping) when you check in and sign the credit card statement, before seeing the room! Look for other accommodations when in Port Townsend.

Room Tip: avoid Old Consulate Inn
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nathan B, Owner at Old Consulate Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
We are very sorry that you arrived without having seen our website or realizing ours is a 120 year old house modified to be a bed and breakfast.  120 years ago there were no private baths, so bathrooms were added later and tend to be small. True the room is mostly filled with the king-sized bed - another convenience they didn't have 120 years ago - but few guests spend much time walking around the bedroom and this is our first complaint about that amazing tower sitting room.  You might have preferred the larger Master Suite with its shower and claw-foot tub.

It is unfortunate that you did not accept our offer to see the room before you rented it.  You clearly walked in rather than reserving online, because those who reserve in advance are never asked for payment until the end of their stay and we ALWAYS offer to show the room to our last-minute guests. Not previewing the room was your choice. We are in the business of making people happy and it's worth noting that many guests who return to the Tower suite year after year for anniversaries or special occiassions.

Regarding our asking for a credit card, all hotels run a credit card upon arrival.  We think most travelers would find this the norm. The tip line for the housekeeper is on the credit card slip for the convenience of those who travel without cash.  About 75% of our guests use that option.

In conclusion, we're saddened by your response. Gourmet breakfast and handmade chocolates, museum-quality antiques and a billiard room in a home on the national registry, a staff anxious to please and you've condemned us for the size of a bathroom. It's true we can't please everyone, but we still endeavor to try.

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Good place to stay with good location,comfortable rooms, great breakfast and wonderful helpful innkeepers. We enjoy walking and the location was not on top of but close to everything and had a very nice view of Puget Sound.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Cindy and Nathan continue to execute the finer details of Victorian comportment and hospitality by intuitively providing all one needs and has thought of, plus more of what one has not thought of and wish one would have. Somehow the place is refined in its simplicity, even while the decor belies this observation. Everything in their control is handled superbly and I look forward to staying at Old Consulate again.

Room Tip: It can get warm in the summer on the third floor. We stayed on the second and this was reasonable. T...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Redmond, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is our second stay at the Old Consulate Inn in port townsend and we will return!
The InnKeepers are thoughtful and have just the right touch with regard to how much interaction you want. For me this is important as I go there to "get away" from my busy life. The rooms are great--but small because it's a Victorian house. There is plenty of room in the house to find for a quiet spot to read and relax. We usually spend a lot of time roaming around port townsend, but when we desired to hang around the room and just relax, it was possible to do so.
The Breakfasts were amazing! You'll be skipping lunch! Honestly, just go for the breakfasts!
Seriously, great place to relax and have a good weekend.

Room Tip: Room #1, the master suite is the largest with your own huge bathroom complete with a clawfoot tub fo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I were warmly greeted by one of the owners, Cindy, and their adorable dog, Ursa. The B&B was beautifully decorated and we were invited to enjoy cookies, tea, coffee and hot cocoa anytime of day in the common area, which offered many books. The room was clean and breakfast was so good. Cindy told us the WiFi password would be in the room, but when we got to the room late that night, it wasn't. Even tho she told us to call her anytime, we felt it was tovlate, so we didn't. When we told her about it the next morning, she apologized and gave us the password.
To sum it up, we thought this was a nice B&B, but these were the negatives:
1. We had to park on the street
2. We were told when breakfast would be served vs. when we would like to eat (I'd never experienced this, which made us feel rushed instead of on vacation.)
3. The town clock chimed hourly, as in ALL night long. My ear plugs didn't help a bit and it sounded like the clock was right outside of our room, even tho the window was closed.

• Stayed May 2013
Nathan B, Owner at Old Consulate Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
We are very sorry you were disappointed. We work hard to offer a great experience to each guest and things like the missing wifi password are unfortunate, albeit easily rectified. As a B&B in an historical community rather than a conventional hotel, we have limitations along with extraordinary opportunities. We are aware of - even share - your concerns (i.e. on-street parking, breakfast at 9, and the county courthouse clock). We list them all in our policies both online and in every confirmation email - so hopefully they didn't come as a surprise.

There's little we can say for the clock. It's been ringing for more than a century. It's part of the character of the town and in two years we've had only one guest for whom it was a serious issue. Now two. Sad it cost you a night's sleep.

The breakfast schedule deserves a little explanation. When we bought the Old Consulate two years ago we offered a buffet from 8:30-10: Cheeses and meats, scones, muesli, fresh fruit. few ate it and we threw away a LOT of food. Almost everyone came down AT 9, when we started the hot breakfast. What's more, without timed seating Cindy was limited to the menu of a short-order cook. With a timed breakfast she can offer gourmet breakfasts including soufflés and strata, quiches and eggs benedict all of which take time to prepare and need seated guests. Our returning guests agreed that the breakfast was worth a wakeup call.

So there are a few thoughts about your perfectly valid complaints. Port Townsend is an extraordinary destination and we love sharing our home and town with our guests. While we aspire to delight everyone, it's inevitable some will prefer a different locale or a more conventional hotel.

Nathan and Cindy
Auburn, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Our stay was fantastic; Our room was the master suite; Service was perfect; Breakfasts very nutritious but portion a little small; Pool table unusable (if you must play); Whale watching close. There is no swimming pool.

Room Tip: Master Suite was perfect. Clock-tower was not an issue.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here one night midweek. I didn't reserve ahead of time and wanted to see the water. Also, I wanted to be in one of the amazing old homes in PT. Incredible architecture.

The house itself is stunning.

i stayed on the third floor in an attic-type room. It was functional, though, I felt, a bit pricey for the small size of window and small amount of room. However, I chose it, so I knew what I was getting. The bed was really luscious and comfortable and I swam all night in a blissful sea of dreamless sleep. It was noisy from traffic on the road below, which is rather a main road in the town.

Breakfast was awesome! So delicious! The furnishings of this home are tasteful, in a Victorian way, even to a modern eye.

I'd have liked to hang out a little bit later than the 11:00 check out time, and made use of the common rooms, but for some reason I felt that I wasn't welcome, as I was met on the stairs at promptly 11:05 by the management coming up to fetch me. It was a rainy morning and I'd have liked to have somewhere to sit and read or file my photos on my laptop.

They might be doing renovations, which I understand might be a reason for this promptness, but it wasn't explained to me, so I felt pushed out a bit.

Overall, my experience was great! I recommend you go! The giant suite on the second floor is stunning, if you can get it. I did have a couple of complaints with the property, but they were outweighed by positives. Like super yummy food! An incredibly comfy bed with excellent sheets! A water view! One of the most stunning buildings in town! Really tasteful decor that transported me to another time! Helpful staff! A super cute house dog named Ursa! Lovely gardens and a wraparound porch! Yay!

Room Tip: Second floor suite is awe-inspiring. Third floor dormer isn't worth the tiny view with all the r...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Nathan B, Owner at Old Consulate Inn, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Actually, I think I met you on the stairs because I, not you, had to leave - we are so far from any larger stores that several times a month I make the trek to the big city. I have to leave promptly at 11am to get back before 3pm when our next guests arrive. I am sorry that the hurry in my life spilled over into your enjoyment. Actually quite a number of guests stay longer in the library or parlor or the garden. Since we only have 4 hours to completely turn around 8 rooms plus clean the parlor, library and dining room, we really need to ask that you vacate the guest rooms - but the rest of the house is still open. Thank you so much for the lovely review... I'll try to slow down!

Been to Old Consulate Inn? Share your experiences!