“think twice” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 11 hotels in Port Townsend
Fred454
“think twice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

Booked a three night stay while visiting family in the area. The first room I was given reeked of mold & room deodorant. There was no internet signal in the room either. Was able to change to a different room with improved smell & internet. The internet went down a few times during the stay requiring staff to turn on a switch somewhere! Hotel is in great need of make over. Bathrooms tiny & dingy. Rooms a dark & dreary. Shame because the location is great -right on the water.Breakfast was minimal. Please fix up the hotel!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

The Tides Inn was perfect for our weekend stay. The front desk staff was super friendly and the room was great! We stayed in the older rooms with the jacuzzi tub on the private balcony for $79/night. We filled the tub immediately upon check-in and had a lovely soak overlooking the water. The motel was situated just outside of downtown, so we did drive everywhere. However, if we'd had more than just a day, we probably would've walked into town because it would've been a nice walk.

My husband and I were joined on this trip with another couple (different rooms) and they enjoyed their experience as well. We arrived on a Saturday afternoon and were in town for the Rhody Bike Tour the following Sunday. The room was large enough to house our bikes and our friends rode their's from the ferry terminal (from Whidbey Island), a short, easy ride away.

Port Townsend itself is absolutely adorable and when we return we'll stay at the Tides Inn.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Everett, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

My husband and I stayed one night at The Tides, we had taken off on our motorcycle and decided to stay over after being on the bike all day. We have stayed in Port Townsend many times, mostly at the Palace (awesome) The Palace was booked so we decided to try The Tides, when I called first from the Waterstreet Tavern (formerly The Towne Tavern) the front desk help was really nice and told me that she had a groundfloor queen room in the newer side of the hotel with jacuzzi & fireplace that normally rented for $169 that we could have for $149. We thought that sounded good being that it was a holiday weekend during high season. Check in was uneventful, we were tired and wanted to use our jacuzzi, operating hours allowed between 9am and 10pm only. We arrived at 9pm. The room was very clean, the tub was nice and big and the view , even ground floor was great. The bed however was NOT comfortable, pillows very soft.

However I cannot say enough about the furnishings, I am not a huge fan of Victorian or French provincial but WOW! The furniture is made out of some kind of composite or laminate I think. The headboard is so ornate and plastic-y that it seems dangerous. I am attaching pic's of our room for you to see, because everytime I try to describe.....i cannot find the words. Tacky? Ugly? ........you can decide.

The breakfast in the am was as previously described, very basic. No fresh fruit just bagels, sweet rolls, juice and coffee.

All in all not a bad stay.....we will most likely try a different hotel next time though, Port Townsend has alot better to offer.

• Liked — The in room jacuzzi was very clean and big enough for two
  • Disliked — The Tacky furniture
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

We stayed for one night, in the new building, and it was a very nice time! Fireplace, beautiful views – very romantic! We visited during the off season – winter – so it was quiet and peaceful and very private (being on the third floor also helped).
The room was very cute and clean, decorated in a (somewhat cheesy) Victorian-ish style, to fit the atmosphere of the town. The Jacuzzi tub in the room was very nice! But bring your own candles, matches, and bubble bath!
The continental breakfast was adequate, but uninspired. Mostly sugary pastries and bagels, nothing cooked, and very limited fresh fruit.
Location is wonderful – within quick walking distance to the downtown touristy area.
Overall, we had a lovely stay and would recommend it to anyone visiting Port Townsend.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bonney Lake
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2007

In October of 2006 My then Boyfriend and I stayed in the older rooms of the Tides and our friends stayed in one of the newer suites. Being all employees of a large Hotel Chain we know and understand what goes on in hotels and none of us had any problms on the trip. It also turmed out to be very memorable because that weekend my boyfriend and I got engaged.
Fast forward one year. We got married on Sept. 8th and for our Honeymoon we were going to travel down the WA coast. We decided to kick it off Sept 9th back in PT at the Tides Inn. we had not made reservations, but didn't think it would be a big deal since it was a sunday night in sept. when we got there they had a room, but was disapointed that all they had was a suite that they wanted aver $200 for. We were set that we wanted to stay there so paid and went to our room. We laughed when it turned out to be the same rooms our friends had the year befor with the aweful "victorian" decor. We kicked back to relax taking advantage of every aspect of the room we felt we had overpaid for.
The Fireplace worked Fine. We opened the frige to find it not working. A little trial and error found that it had been unpluged, the freezer had completely defrosted and when I bumped the try under the freezer musty water went everywhere. My next stop was the jacuzzi. The stopper was not the correct one for the dain, although I was able to get it to work, but while I was messing with that I realized the tub had not been cleaned, there was a line around the top of the tub made up of soap scum and and hair shavings. I manage a hotel with 120 rooms that I inspect myself daily, so I know what it looks like when a housekeeper is being lazy. I contemplated calling and complaining, but decided it would do no good. And from what I have read here it sounds like I would have been right.
The next morning I also found that one of the lock/latch on the windows was completely broken and could have easily been opened from the outside, this was a ground level unit. Even the staff was a let down from the last visit. I would not reccomend this hotel to anyone and we plan to never go back. We love PT, but next time we go we will stay somewhere else.
It seems that they are selling the the fact that a movie shot a couple of scenes there. They have not kept up on Maintenance and their housekeepers are some of the worst I have ever seen.

Trust someone who is in the industry who has the ability to overlook things like beer caps and dust bunnies under the bed or even a stray hair in the bathroom, nothing about this hotel makes it worth the money they charge for it.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, security, customer service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lake Tahoe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

If you get a 1st floor room with a jacuzzi tub on the deck... beware. There is a public access trail along the water DIRECTLY in front of your room. If you are sitting in your tub nude, you are not going to have the privacy you expected.

Beds in older units need replacing.

• Liked — Waterfront
  • Disliked — Beds
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Victoria BC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

We recently ( 5 couples) stayed at Tides Inn we have rated the rooms as 1 out of 5, location 5 out of 5, breakfast 5 out of 5

This place needs to be painted and cleaned up, peanuts were found under the bed, dust balls, and the patio had empty cigarette package on it plus beer caps, our patio looked down to a very untidy area with lots of cigarette butts such a shame for such a beautiful location

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Not clean
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Tides Inn? Share your experiences!