“Wonderful experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Victoria, BC
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2007

My sister and I stayed at the Palace for two nights. The hotel is clean, safe, and seriously charming. There are a variety of lovely rooms - old-fashioned quilted bedspreads, lace curtains, unique bathrooms. We had a huge suite (Miss Lily) - queen bed in the separate bedroom, double futon bed (comfortable) in the LR. There was a small, but complete, kitchen. The rooms must have had 15 - 20 foot ceilings - bright, airy, comfortable. The staff were helpful and knowlegeable. The hotel was right in the centre of old town on Water Street (the main street in the downtown core). It was minutes from just about any service. There was some noise from the street, but ear plugs work. And, there are plenty of stairs and no elevators. That's 30 plus stairs to the second floor and another 25 or so to the third floor. Staff will assist with luggage. I looked upon climbing the stairs as my personal physical fitness regime. I highly recommend this hotel...

• Liked — It's seriously charming!
  • Disliked — No elevators and it's somewhat noisy as it's in
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Central California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

Port Townsend is an attractive little community which we enjoy visiting when in the northwest. The Palace Hotel is a quaint old hotel in the old downtown portion the the town with convenient access to shopping and dining. Our small room was at the rear of the building which we thought would be quieter than one at the front which faces the main street. Boy were we wrong! At 5:15a.m. a loud boom-boom, thumpity-thumpity music began vibrating the floorboards in our room awakening my wife and me. By 5:30 when it hadn't stopped, I dressed and went to investigate (there are no phones in the room by which to contact the manager). I could not find the source after walking around our second floor, or up on the third floor, so I went down to the first level and still couldn't find the source. I went outside and walked around the entire block but without luck in locating the source. Upon my return to the hotel, I found the "after hours" phone in the hall and used it to awaken the manager and lodge a complaint. He came down the stairs, looking somewhat disheveled (as one would expect at that hour in the otherwise sleeply town) and said the sound was probably coming from the kitchen of the Tyler Street Coffee Shop which is located directly below our room and he would call there and check it out. Seems he was right; the baker usually starts around 5:00 and apparently on this day liked to have some loud music (to help settle the muffins?) while working. The music level did seem to decrease after the manager called... maybe from 125db down to 100db or so! Later my wife went down to the offending bakery/coffee shop for a cup of coffee which turned out to not be as good as the cup I made in the room. So, two lessons learned: don't take a room at the rear of the Palace Hotel and don't get a cup of coffee from the Tyler Street Coffee Shop. A little later we had an excellent breakfast at the Salal Restaurant which is a couple of blocks down the street from the hotel.

• Liked — Convenient location.
  • Disliked — Noisy Tyler Street Coffee Shop baker
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2007

The Palace is a neat old hotel. We stayed in the Miss Pearl room. It is on the third flooor and there are no elevators so be prepared to haul your luggage (it is 59 steps to the third floor). The room has a great view of the Strait of Juan De Fuca. The bad side of our stay was the bed in the Miss Pearl room was hard as a rock. The staff was very friendly. We paid $175 for a room in the off season and that seemed high for the quality of the accomodations. The hotel is right in the middle of downtown and within easy walking distance of the whole of downtown. The Miss Kitty room has the best view in my opinion (it was already reserved). There are lots of huge windows and you can see down the main street of town, as well as, out over the Strait of Juan De Fuca. This place was good for a one time stay in an old hotel, but I would look elsewhere for the price.

Stayed March 2007
Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2007

The Palace Hotel was great! My sister and I stayed for two nights in the last part of October. The Palace was clean, and in good condition. We got the room we asked for and it was better than the pictures. I found this hotel through their web site, which has pictures of all the rooms and lists specials and amenities.
The only thing wrong with this hotel is that some of the web sites information is not correct.
If you like history or antiques you’ll love the Palace!

• Liked — The cool atmosphere
  • Disliked — The parking lot (not well lit)
  • Stayed February 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2007

I stayed in this Hotel a few years ago and really enjoyed it but am pleased that when I returned there are noticeable upgrades. This Victorian Hotel is in a great location for shopping and I enjoyed an evening gallery walk during our stay. Rooms are clean and new linens are a nice upgrade. Loved my morning breakfast tray..

The front desk was awesome. A personal Touch calling a restaurant for me to make sure they were still serving lunch. Recommending best dessert places etc. The Evening front desk help made such a difference in our stay. This Gal should teach a course on hospitality.

Have always liked this getaway, but am pleased that there are a few improvements. Will return soon

Stayed January 2007
Basel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2006

Lovely decorated, very friendly staff. We could see the rooms available and then make our choice. The price was very reasonible (may be because it was Nov.) and it included even a small breakfast. I would recommed to stay there.

• Liked — Hotel and Room decoration
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2006

This place has a lot of atmosphere. We did have a bit of a problem at night. Our room was on the back side street over a coffee shop whose cleaning staff blared music until 2 am. The hotel staff apologized for the problem, but gave us a sort of "what can you do" shrug. Apparently they don't own the coffee shop. This was in the summer of 2005, so hopefully that problem has be solved by now. There is no air conditioner, so the windows must be left open in the summer. Luckily, although the days were warm, the nights cooled off beautifully.

This place was clean and comfortable although a bit creaky - but that added to the charm in this Victorian sea port.

If you stay here, try to get a room in the front for a view of the beautiful water area and for (hopefully) less noise. It is pricey, but there are limited options in this town.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Noise!!!
  • Tips/Secrets — get a room on the front of the building for the view and hopefully less noise
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Palace Hotel Port Townsend? Share your experiences!