“Historic atmosphere, modern comforts, perfect location” 5 of 5 stars

Palace Hotel Port Townsend
1004 Water Street, Port Townsend, WA 98368   |
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Oregon, USA
“Historic atmosphere, modern comforts, perfect location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

I had a wonderful stay at the Palace Hotel, which I chose primarily for its historic-ness but also its great location in the heart of downtown Port Townsend, and attractive exterior. From the moment I arrived, I was so happy with my choice. When I pulled into a spot in the free private parking behind the building, the view through my windshield was a steep grassy hill covered in wildflowers!

The desk clerk was kind, easygoing, and helpful, and offered to carry my luggage up the (very steep) stairs. I declined, thinking the exercise was good for me and not wanting to make him do it, but next time I might say yes! Those are some serious stairs (at least one flight to all rooms; two flights to my room on the third floor) and there is no elevator. So unfortunately it doesn't seem like this hotel would work for disabled guests.

I booked quite last minute so was very lucky they had a couple of rooms left: I chose the value-priced "Miss Mona" on the third floor. It was not en-suite but I had exclusive use of a private bathroom down the hall, which opened with my room key. Since I regularly stay in historic hotels, I'm used to this and don't mind the slight inconvenience (especially since it usually means a much cheaper rate).

My room was extremely clean and had some of the highest ceilings I've seen in a hotel, making an already spacious room feel huge. It had a side view, which overlooked another beautiful historic building, the heart of Water Street, and the sea across the road. A desk was set up right next to the window and it was such a pleasant place to work - if a little distracting, since I kept gazing out the window!

The decor in the lobby and common areas was lovely and preserved the historic atmosphere - the stained-glass skylight above the stairs on the third floor is a particular highlight. My room had exposed brick on the outer wall, which I love. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my room had a mini-fridge, which was completely empty so I had room for some cold drinks, as well as a microwave. Those were great perks. Both were fairly outdated, though, so not as attractive, quiet, or energy-efficient as they could be. The rest of the furnishings in my room were period-appropriate and lovely.

As is common in historic hotels, the walls were somewhat thin and the solid doors a bit loud, but it wasn't enough to be bothersome at all. I noticed no street noise, despite having the window open. There is no air-conditioning, but the window opens and a fan is provided, so I was comfortable despite the warm night. But on very hot nights, I might miss the A/C - I really like it cool while sleeping.

All the staff was great. The housekeepers I came across were cheerful and friendly, and the owner, Gary, was clearly proud and appreciative of the amazing building he is responsible for. I met with him and had a really interesting chat about the hotel's history and staff. He was interested in my website, and also showed me the blog of some previous guests that he keeps up with.

The Palace Hotel will definitely be my first choice when I return to Port Townsend. This was my first visit to the city and I really fell in love with it - can't wait to return!

Note: I was provided a free room for one night in return for media coverage on my website, Go Historic. I did not promise a positive review, nor was I asked for one, and the above reflects my honest opinion.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We read the reviews in advance for the Palace after we saw a write up in our Lonely planet guide book. The hotel has an interesting history, part of which was as a Brothel. Because of that part of the history they have named the rooms after the former 'ladies' that 'worked' there. We stayed in the room called Miss Sara in 7B. The view was of the parking lot but the cost was a lot lower then the ocean view because of it. This was fine for us as we weren't there for the view outside. The Palace is right downtown on the main drag. Right out the front door are numerous restaurants to choose from and shops to satisfy your shopping therapy needs. The hotel itself has a beautiful lobby with period antique furniture and stained glass windows. There is no elevator. The staircase to the rooms is long but there are stops at each level with seating areas that are decorated like a living room/visiting room. Our room had very high ceilings and windows that were about 12 feet tall. It was decorated with antiques as well but had the modern conveniences of a microwave, beer fridge and in the bathroom a rain shower with a choice of jets that came from the wall to shower your body only. The only negative about the room was the bed was on the soft side for me and the springs were very squeaky. Perhaps that was supposed to turn us back in time as well but I could have done without all that noise with every move. The room was also right above an air vent but I like white noise when I sleep and had the fan on all night in the room (thoughtfully set up in the window to cool the non-a/c room down for us upon arrival). Everything was very clean and we would definitely stay here again if we return.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Floral, ar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I have been to Port Townsend four times and I've stayed at The Palace Hotel twice. It is run by a very friendly staff. Clean rooms. Easy to walk to food establishments downtown from The Palace. No elevator but the gentlemen at the front desk will carry your luggage up for you. Private parking in back.

Room Tip: Some rooms have their own bathroom. Be sure you ask for this. Normally they will tell you when res...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We had a terrific one-night stay in the "Miss Pearl" room of this former bordello. The customer service from the front desk clerk last evening was outstanding. Wish I had his name so I could give him a shout out. He was extremely courteous and gave us several help hints about the area.

This is one beautifully refurbished and decorated Victorian-style hotel. Every detail is thoughtfully done. The beds are spacious and comfortable. Although no AC, there is a cool breeze off the ocean. My husband slept better than he does at home.

I'd give the place five stars if it only had an elevator. Older folks and those with health issues: be prepared. Although the hotel will carry your bags up for you, you still have to climb some steep and numerous stairs to your room. But if you can handle the stairs, the reward of a beautiful room and a delightful night's stay at a reasonable price await you.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The Palace is a heritage building three blocks from the ferry terminal in the historic downtown district which exhibits full Victorian decor throughout the hotel, an ex bordello. The rooms are named for the working girls and are comfortably furnished. There is no AC which could be problem in hotter weather, however, a fan is provided in each room. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend this as a quirky stopover.

Room Tip: The Marie Suite is a corner room with windows on two sides which allows a cross flow of air.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

If you choose to stay here, recognize it is a very old building. The ambiance however is great, the rooms are okay, but don't stay here for that reason. The location is solid and within walking distance to everything in the tourist part of town. Restaurants in the area are nice and the hotel makes for a romantic night. I will however give it an overall Excellent rating due to the overall experience of staying here. Be forewarned, you will be carrying your luggage up stairs and due to the height of the ceilings, each floor is a good haul.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Grants Pass, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We love Port Townsend, but have always stayed in our RV at the harbor before. This trip, our adult kids were meeting us there for the weekend so we needed a hotel. My husband wanted something downtown so we could walk everywhere we wanted to go. When I called the Palace, their friendliness & helpful attitude was what sold me on their place. They have a choice of rooms with en suite bathrooms or "European-style" with the bathroom in the hall. The Palace was built in 1889 & the decor is old Victorian & they are in the center of downtown, which gives your stay the perfect Port Townsend vibe. This place is casual & laid-back & is not for picky 5-star hotel people that need a concierge & pillow-top beds. There is no elevator & no air conditioning, which, for most of the year in PT, I would think wouldn't be an issue. But it was warm the weekend we were there & we did switch rooms from the 3rd floor to the second as it was palpably cooler on the lower floors. They do have fans in each room. Every room is different & there are sitting areas in between the rooms like a guesthouse. Our room we ended up with actually had it's own living room, full kitchen, & bathroom. The staff were just great & everything was spotlessly clean. Even the rates were the best of the downtown hotels I checked. We loved the Palace & would definitely stay
there again!

• Stayed June 2014

Been to Palace Hotel Port Townsend? Share your experiences!