“Save the money...not worth the while!” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Dine and Unwind
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Port Ludlow
Mukilteo
“Save the money...not worth the while!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

Me and my sweetheart were excited for a nice getaway on the Peninsula. I had stayed at the Resort at Port Ludlow six years ago for a family members wedding and let's just say NOTHING has changed since then, judging by the decor and wear and tear (very uncomfortable beds) on the furnishings. Thinking that I scored a deal by booking one of there online specials for a two night stay, we were looking forward to our stay. BE WARNED when booking online they charge an addition "RESORT FEE" of $10 a day that you don't learn about until it's time to check out and when I presented a copy of my online confirmation and pricing (including taxes) the front desk clerks response was along the lines of "yeah, they really should tell people that we charge the additional resort fee". So if you make your reservation online, just know there is going to be an additional $10 a day fee (plus tax)...for what, I'm not really sure.

Also, another warning regarding the rooms (we should know, we stayed in two different rooms, one just as equally bad as the previous). The beds (both rooms had king beds) were very uncomfortable unless you enjoy the feeling of a very THIN layer of padding between you and the bed springs. The carpet is very abrasive and reminds me of the carpeting in a high school library/classroom. The bathroom fixtures and decor VERY dated (early 90s) and tile floor not heated - so I highly recommend bringing slippers (none provided) or keep you socks/shoes on for any trips to the rest room (as well as for comfort walking on the carpet). Also, both rooms we stayed in had fireplaces with heat tempered glass screwed into the front thus allowing no - or very little - heat out to warm the room. Apparently they are only there for decoration. Also be warned that if you are given a room in the section of the resort near the pond you will hve the joy of listening to the unnaturally loud pumps sucking and pumping water into the pond continuously 24 hours a day.

• Liked — Magazines available in the room
  • Disliked — Hidden Fees
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

My husband and I were celebrating our 10 year anniversary. We wanted to stay at Alderbrooks (which we love!) but they were full. We always wanted to stay at Port Ludlow so we decided to stay there. I found the perfect package called LOVE. Just perfect for us...room, breakfast, 2 massages in the room, wine pairing dinner...well, we got there and we were informed at the last minute that the weekly wine appetizer was cancelled, they told us that we should have booked our massage...nobody told us. The room was nice but we ended up not able to get our massage (which we were looking for!) and the dinner had no choice...I do not like soup and I'm a picky eater. I did not have he choice to pick between for example soup or salad...it was a set menu. Not a big fish person...but again, had to eat what was served. we stayed 2 nights but did not get any of the extra that we were really looking for in that package. We ended up just having a hotel room. We could have done that anywhere...The girl at the front desk was new and had no clue of what she was doing. She called my husband 3 times in 5 minutes to make a dinner reservation?
I was informed by the real estate agent there that the new director wanted to improve the place and would love to hear the feedback. I took the time to leave my number at the front desk and ask to have him call me. She never passed the message...He never called me back so after 3 days, I called and left him a message, he called me, I called him back and that was it....not able to talk to him and gave him any details on our stay . No follow-up. I even left him a message via their website and once again no news from him. This was very disapointed. We were planning a big family reunion and wanted to check the place first. I guess we will not do it there and will most likely go back to Alderbrook where Service is #1.

• Liked — quiet and peaceful
  • Disliked — service, lack of follow-up...no SPA or pool
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Bellevue, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

My husband and I have enjoyed staying at the Port Ludlow Resort on trips to the Olympic Peninsula in the past, so we decided to bring his parents there to visit it this October.

There wasn't room in the hotel, so we were offered one of the condominiums, which we were assured were very nice and tastefully decorated.

From the beginning, our arrival at the Resort was a disaster. Though we had made our reservation through their hotel website, AND called to confirm, they thought we weren't coming until the next night for some reason. There was so much confusion and several dozen post-its affixed to our file.

Luckily we had printed out our reservation information and brought it with us, or we might not have been able to convince them we were there on the right night. Very bizarre. Finally it was determined that they could accommodate us, and gave us keys to our condo.

The condos are located a good quarter mile from the hotel itself. It is a long walk uphill. We were not offered luggage assistance. The condo we were given was far from nice. It was ground level (we had to walk down some musky stairs to get there). The decor obviously hadn't been touched in 30 years. Though the apartment was reasonably clean, there were enormous stains on the carpets. The beds creaked with age. The whole place reeked of mildew.

I was so excited for a jacuzzi tub. Try a thirty year old bathtub with yellow rings around it. No jacuzzis in sight in the condos. There was a fireplace, but it was wood-burning and no wood was provided.

There was a nice view of the sound from one of the bedrooms, but this hardly made up for the overall grossness of the accommodations.

Additionally, the hidden condo fees were ridiculous. An extra $50 a night for maid service? There's no way the people in the hotel are standing for those kinds of extra fees. That's highway robbery, right there.

Everything was so depressing, even though we were supposed to stay for two nights, we checked out first thing the next morning. We were concerned about whether they were going to charge us for the second night, but they bungled our reservation so badly they didn't even know how many nights we were originally supposed to be staying. So, I guess one good thing came out of our stay.

We may return to the Port Ludlow resort, but we will only ever stay in the *hotel*. If they offer you a condo, please decline.

• Liked — beautiful location, convenience to access olympic peninsula
  • Disliked — everything regarding the condos was expensive, dishonest, and gross
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
seattle, wa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

My husband arranged this weekend getaway for my Christmas present - we finally made it there in June! The package he booked was a very good deal - 2 nights hotel including continental breakfast in the Harbormaster Restaurant, 2 in-room massages, a four-course dinner with wine pairings. There was nice bottle of wine in the room as well. The room had really nice views and was comfortable - the bed was too firm for our tastes, though, and I have to say the pillows were a bit paltry! The Inn itself is nice - cool location for walking around on the beach and checking out the boats at the marina. I wish the weather was a little warmer - it was chilly all weekend, but we still managed to play some tennis at the resort's tennis courts (located about 7-10 minutes drive away, kinda inconvenient).

We enjoyed the restaurant/bar that's onsite - the four-course meal was VERY good, but the service was quite amateur. I hope they fix that - we enjoy good meals and service, and the presentation of this supposedly gourmet experience was pretty lacking. For example, when we were seated, the waitress walked up to us and said, "do you like Ahi?" - I was a bit startled, and answered "yes" - and she said "good - oh, and the dinner is a seafood theme". Would have been nice if they had checked ahead of time - we happen to love seafood, but what if you didn't?

Overall, a nice quiet getaway. I would recommend going in the warmer months, though, so you can really enjoy the outdoors, including the patio/deck seating at both restaurants. Pt. Townsend isn't far away and a nice little town to stroll through and have lunch/dinner.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bellevue, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights to celebrate our anniversary. They had a bottle of champagne on ice waiting for us in the room. The room is quite large with 2 chairs and a desk area. Our room had lots of windows and we enjoyed the view of the water and the marina. As others have mentioned, the rooms have large jacuzzi tubs to relax in. We got take-out from The Harbormaster which is next door to the resort. The breakfast consisted of fresh fruit, apple strudel, bagels, and cereals. The waitress gave me a tray so we could take breakfast back to our room to enjoy. Port Townsend is about 20 minutes away. If you are looking for a peaceful place to relax for a few days, this is the perfect place.

• Liked — The view from the room.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2008

We stayed here while visiting relatives in Port Ludlow. I think the review below entitled "The Stepford Resort" sums up our feelings completely.

The hotel architecture reminded me of a sanitized ski resort, where it tries to be "pretty," "old world," and "quaint." The interior felt the same way. Don't get me wrong, it was nice, it was clean,and the bed was comfortable. The things I look for most in a hotel. But I felt like it was trying to copy a magazine spread. Not its own magazine spread, but copy one already out there.

Other than the creepy, sameness of the place, my real complaint is the heat. The room was so cold and the gas fireplace did not actually produce heat. The only heater was a small in-wall heater that had trouble keeping up with the high ceilings, open spaces, and tile floors. Luckily, there were robes and slipper to help stay warm. We needed those, and every blanket we could find in the room and closet to keep warm enough to sleep. We changed rooms for a second night, only this room was even colder.

We encountered this cold room thing during our entire trip to the Pacific NW, so it could possibly be being use to east coast, forced air heat. But this hotel was the coldest. The heaters couldn't keep up with the December temps, and think they turned them off when no one was in the room, so it was 60 when we checked in.

• Liked — nothing stood out
  • Disliked — cold room!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Seattle Eastside
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

Though not luxurious, the rooms were nicely appointed. A spa-like atmosphere was created with the addition of robes, bath salts, a loofa, and the usual bath amenities available in the room. The tub was deep and inviting with the option of whirlpool jets. Unfortunately, our room was very noisy. Staff and contractors were getting ready for a "high-profile" wedding. Consideration to other guests was minimal.
The food was excellent. We had the opportunity to eat lunch at the resort's Harbormaster restaurant which had the best fish 'n chips I have ever eaten. From a Seattle native, this is saying alot! We also had the opportunity to eat at the Fireside, another on-site restaurant. It, too, was very good.
The resort definitely has some problems! Read on.
The big issue arose when our CEO group attempted to play golf. Reservations for tee times and golf carts had been made many weeks in advance. When the group arrived at the golf course they were told that the carts were no longer available as they had all been promised to a tournament group (part of the "high-profile" wedding group). They couldn't even get a pull cart! A simple phone call by the golf course manager prior to our arrival to apprise our group of the situation should have been a MUST. Notification after the fact, just made for a lot of upset guests. The golf outing had to be cancelled because nobody had brought their pull carts. Perhaps the course could have borrowed some carts from a neighboring course for the day. Later that day, the golf course manager offered free golf at a later date. Unfortunately, we all live at least two hours from the resort which might mean another stay! No thanks!
My advice? Eat the food but don't stay!

• Liked — Comfortable, king-size bed, and the spa tub.
  • Disliked — Noisy!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Resort at Port Ludlow? Share your experiences!