“I keep coming back.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Packwood

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Packwood
Hotel Packwood
104 Main Street, Packwood, WA 98361   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Packwood
Lincoln City, Oregon
“I keep coming back.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I dicovered Hotel Packwood only about 3yr ago after staying at other places in town for at least 4 yrs. I have to say it is one of the great 'finds' as a place to stay, both the rooms and Marilyn, the owner. Granted, it is an old hotel and most of the rooms use a shared bathroom, but it is mere feet away and rarely involves a wait. The 'old, lived in' feeling of warmth and history just add the charm of this place. No, it's not new, it has a few creaks in the floor here and there, but everything is clean and fresh and every nook and cranny, (and the mantle) has historical and just plain fun stuff. Marilyn has just recently put in new windows which keeps the rooms warmer in the winter I'm told. I plan to find this out myself this year, if I can. My favorite room is #6, with the 'Teddy Rosevelt' rocking chair. (Teddy Rosevelt stayed here on a visit west and the hotel is an historic landmark).Very comfortable to sit and read if you wish to stay in your room and there is an almost endless supply of mostly older, one of kind, books on shelves in the hall and some rooms, or just watch TV. The main area downstairs has a microwave and small shared frig. There is coffee, hot chocolate, and tea, silverware, papertowels, glasses, coffee mugs, etc. WiFi is available. It is also a most wonderous place to sit in the mornings, and more especially evenings, and just talk with other travelers. On the last of my several summer visits, I talked with people from Missouri, the east coast, mushrooms pickers (facinating info), and hikers from just about everywhere. While I still do some backpacking, I have to admit that hot running water and the people I meet in the living room are more and more attractive as I turn 64. The south entrance to Mr. Rainier is just 7 miles away and the Sunrise area is my favorite side of the mountain for hiking, camping and backpacking anyway. Marilyn is an awsome teller of some of the history of the area. Ask her about the gentleman that still comes to continue looking for D.B. Cooper and the missing money. Another great point is that the Hotel Packwood is in the center of town, so to speak. Within walking distance to everything. Just watch out the the elk at any time of day but especially at night. They are VERY BIG, and often within 20 feet of you (it will be very tempting, but don't do anything foolish like approach them. They really are wild). A hundred feet brings you to the Blue Spruce, a down home type bar with better than average food. The 'Spruce' has become my regular dinner hangout and I stay at Hotel Packwood so often in the summers now that the real people in town have started to recognize me and include me in conversations which adds to the fun for me. There is entertainement on some fri and/or sat nights. Across the street is the Cruizer, a pizza place that also has other foods and an OK breakfast (ask Marilyn for a breakfast coupon). Down the street a little further is Peters Inn. It has breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I usually eat brkfast here, and often stop in to have their great homemade pie during the day or evening. Tho I recently had a really disappointing prime rib dinner. There is enterainment here on some nights also. There are more places opening up that I haven't tried yet. There are several other types of stores also. Grocery, antique, resale, etc and more. Again, all within walking distance. Ask Marilyn about things to do in the area, with children or without. She knows what is around to do and see. One of the reasons I started coming to the Hotel Packwood were the rates, from about $30 (small, 3 bunkbeds - comfortable, I stayed in this room on a spontaneous visit this summer) to about $50 (small room with bathroom), but it is everything about the place, especially Marilyn, that keeps me coming back again and again. It is an old place, but If you want a place that adds to your visit instead of just being a place to stay, this is it. Oh, and don't forget the wrap around covered porch where you can sit and enjoy the conversatons and beverage of your choice with others and have a chance of seeing the elk down the street eating everyones flowers.

Room Tip: Personaly like room #6, bigger room and has that rocking chair. Also, can leave curtains open more...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed at this hotel at the begining of October 2011. It is such a great value. We have gotten nearly the same accommodations at other places for twice the price. It was clean, cozy and comefortable. The owner is really friendly and makes you feel right at home. I definately recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had room 9 with a private bath, however, I checked out the shared bathrooms and they looked nice...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I was tempted by the $30/night price, and decided to stay here for an entire week, while I visited Mount Rainier National Park. My room was small, and the mattress was old, but I was comfortable, and my visit cost me HUNDREDS of dollars less than if I had stayed at any other motel in town. Marilyn is wonderful, and by the end of the week I felt like a member of her family. Don't worry about the shared bathrooms, they're clean -- and I never had to wait to use one.

Room Tip: If you're traveling solo, any room will do. If 2 people are staying in one room, it will be wor...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
stillman valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

We stayed at this charming hotel Sept. 22,23,24, 2011 and had a wonderful experience. We chose room 9 w/a private bath. The rooms were charming, comfortable, and clean. The lobby is like a cozy livingroom, there was always coffee, tea, and hot chocoalte available. A microwave and small frig were available for use. Marilyn was a charming host, we spent some time with her on the wrap around porch just chatting. The cost was soooo reasonable. I would give this hotel 6 stars if I could! A "home away from home". Hubby and I loved our stay and would definetly stay there again. Marian Pearson, Illinois

Room Tip: Rooms 8 and 9 have private bathrooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

DO read about this property. It was established 100 years ago, but has been updated. Rooms are small, and most use a shared bath - two have a private bath. It was quiet and cozy. There were curtains on the windows, but nothing to darken the room. An old-time bed with quilted cover. Basic turniiture & TV in room. Friend & helpful owner. In the center of town so easy to walk to other places.

Room Tip: If you want a private bath, book early.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Those needing all the modern comforts should probably stay at the nearby Crest Trail Lodge. But if you want to save a few bucks and experience an old-fashioned hotel with warm hospitality, the Hotel Packwood is a good choice. Room rates are extremely reasonable: we "splurged" on a room with private bath, but it was still only $49. Admittedly, the room was tiny (it fit a double bed, and little more), but it was cozy and comfortable. Given the small rooms, I'm not sure this hotel would work well for a family (you'd probably need more than one room, which would negate the value).

Marilyn, whom I assume is the owner, is an excellent hostess and very hospitable. There's good free coffee in the lobby in the morning (guests can use this room to relax and socialize in the evening), and they gave us a coupon for a $4 hot breakfast at the nearby Cruiser's restaurant (nothing fancy, it's a pizza shop that also serves breakfast, but breakfast was more than edible). Dinner options are somewhat limited in town, but we went to the Peters Inn which has a weekend prime rib dinner for two for $30 and other specials. Not the best food in the world, but solid value for the middle of nowhere.

Packwood makes a convenient stop between the Mt. Saint Helens and Mr. Rainer parks. It's a little far to "commute" from Paradise in Mr. Rainer, about an hour's drive, but if they're all sold out there, it's a plausible alternative (and a lot cheaper).

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
mustang83
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

We stayed at the lovely Hotel Packwood (not to be confused with the Inn with the same name) dated from 1912. All rooms are basic and clean. Shared facilities. The prices are very reasonable. Our host was very sympathetic. We enjoyed our stay in an environment from the old days. Lots of antiques in and around the house brings you back to times long gone. A really must do.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Packwood? Share your experiences!