“Sandpiper moves into #1 worst hotel experience for me.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sandpiper Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pacific Beach
Sandpiper Beach Resort
You added Sandpiper Beach Resort to your Saves list
4159 State Route 109, Pacific Beach, WA 98571   |
Special Offer
Call for Rate/Avalibility
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pacific Beach
Seattle
“Sandpiper moves into #1 worst hotel experience for me.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

Prior to staying at the Sandpiper, my worst hotel room experience was in Queanbeyan, AU. The Sandpiper is perfectly located. The beach is spectacular, but the resort is in dire need of renovation. A friend who was married there ten years ago recommended it. I'm certain they wouldn't be getting married there today. I could give a list of offences, but I'll keep it to two: the bed smelled like someone had wet it, and when the low pressure shower turned on, brown water dribbled out.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Tacoma, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

We have been going to the Sandpiper for at least 15 years now, with large groups and as of late... just ourselves. Most of our friends and family won't join us anymore because the place is getting so run down. We went one more time this year, hoping that something would be fixed up... Alas, no. I used to recommend this place to all my friends, now... I don't.

Last year the top of the curtains had 2 inched of dust on them, aside from all the other issues that we overlooked, and this year it looks like it might have been dusted last year.

Where do I start....The water from the pipes come out orange, the sheets don't fit the beds and continually come off, the pillows are ancient, beds that are hard, the towel heaters don't work anymore, cracks in the windows, ripped and torn fabric on the couch cushions, soap dispensers have been empty for years, barbecues are rusted out completely, flower beds and grass are brown... shall I go on?

It is apparent that the newest owner of the last 6 years has no intention of putting a dime back into the place. It is very, very sad. She is relying on repeat busness that is starting to dwindle. There were many openings available this summer and usually the place is packed. The kicker is that now they are charging more money in July and August, okay fine, and they are charging more for children and pets.... For a room that sleeps four, we are now paying an additional $10 per child and $15 for a pet and $20 for going in July. So for 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog for a room that is $120 is now $175 before taxes. We thought we would try it one more time this year and after we paid our bill ($100 more than last year, with no improvements and further disrepair) we realized that we are paying $600 for 3 nights in a dilapitated buiding with great beach access. We would never pay this kind of money for such a place, it's all about the location.

I'm with the previous reviewer... the Iron Springs Resort is being remodeled, maybe with some competition The Sandpiper owner will either sell it to someone who cares or at least fix it up enough to make it usable and bring back some of the charm that this place once had. Very sad.... I will return when I see that something has been done to make this habitable.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
deluth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

The owner of this motel really needs to take a long look in the mirror. Generations of families have loved this place, and have returned year after year for their annual gatherings. But because of a new owner who apparently has no regard for maintenance, cleanliness, a sense of service or hospitality, those Good As Gold return visitors are dwindling. The Sandpiper is going down the tubes. It is so sad.

A previous reviewer mentioned the dirty conditions, and I agree it is almost a health and safety matter at this point. The water runs brown, there are electrical issues, locks and latches don't work, appliances are quirky. The furnishings are dog-eared and threadbare.
There is mold and mildew, cracking walls, peeling paint.

It's such a shame to let this place run into the ground. It's the most spectacular beach on the Washington Coast. The past owners were sweet, hospitable, welcoming, and they took excellent care of the place. It was very special then. I hope the current owner will call it a day and sell it to someone who will appreciate it and care for it. I will be happy to return, if that's ever the case. Until that time, I can't recommend the Sandpiper any longer.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

My family and I have been coming to Sandpiper since 1982. At that time it was a wonderful place. It had (and still has) the most fabulous ocean front location to be found anywhere on the Washington coast. The resort itself was no-frills, simple, functional, clean, comfortable and cozy. Since new owners took over several years ago, it has been all down hill. The once beautiful gardens are choking with weeds and grass. The rooms are in a state of disrepair. On our latest visit the shower handle was broken, one of the lamps had a broken switch and could not be turned on, the venetian blinds fell out of the wall when I tried to close them and the much of the furniture and fixtures were in a general state of disrepair. We have continued to come to Sandpiper every year, sometimes more than once, because we love the magical setting, the sunsets, the miles of empty beach, the serenity, the ocean sounds and because the place holds so many wonderful memories for us. But after this last visit, I am wondering if this will be our last. Maybe it is time to try the remodeled Iron Springs resort to the south. This makes me really, really sad!!! Good-bye Sandpiper - what a shame!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

Tripped to this gorgeous beach resort with my family and everything was just perfect! Nice location, fantastic ocean view, and peaceful accommodation. Thanks Sandpiper Beach Resort!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
olympia WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

This place has been a favorite of ours for many years. The new owners are just sucking it dry; no maintenance on anything and have run it into the ground. Nothing works; the towel warmers are now just racks, the machines in the laundry are gone, etc. The refer was cleaned with such a toxic smelling cleaner that I left my food in the ice chest I brought. After 3 days the refer still was unusable. The furniture and carpets are filthy and thread bare. It breaks my heart that this gem is now tarnished at the hands of greedy owners. I'll never go back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

I have been coming to this resort for at least 30 years. I wouldn't have come the last 15 if it hadn't been for the fact they have the best view of the ocean and beach on the washington coast. The fact that they are right on the beach makes it hard to go anywhere else... and their decks to their apartment type rooms are the best!!!! BUT... we only go there now maybe once every 2 years, we use to go maybe 3 times a year, it is just getting to run down in their rooms. This last time we went was terrible inside the rooms. They haven't updated much in the last 20 years. I think they put in new carpets about 5-8 years ago, This was the worst tho.... The lights didn't work over the sink or the stove or the table, they had run a bright orange extension cord from one plug to across the room to a floor lamp so there was light over by the table. The screen on the slider sat cockeyed and didn't quite shut. The shower/tub had a round mat in it that was so dirty I had to take it out. I didn't want to shower, but we had been clam digging and well we were stuck, but the shower was filthy, sand left from previous people stay there. The walls were dirty, and I wouldn't even use the soap dispenser (but my previous experience here said there was no soap in there anyway)... Thank God I brought Lysol. Oh, and the frying pans they provided, the coating was scraped off so bad that we had to go to the store in Ocean Shores to get a pan to cook in.
I feel I can say this because I am a regular, and I think they have enough regulars that keeps them full most of the time. I would say that is not going to last to much longer tho. While we were cleaning our clams at the shack people were talking that they need to go somewhere else. Its almost a health issue at this point.
I wish they would start doing some things around there, besides keeping the outside looking nice. I know times are tough, but this is ridiculous!!!
I must say you can't beat the view, the closeness to the beach, the sound of the waves and the emptyness of the beach (except during clamming season). BUT be prepared... bring your own fry pan (just incase) bring bottled water, and all your food... the nearest decent store is at Ocean Shores. AND don't forget a can of Lysol... I wouldn't have stayed there if it hadn't been for my can of Lysol!!!!!!!
I use to love this place I have referred it to alot of people in the early years and got them started on some wonderful family reunion memories... but I could never refer it to anyone anymore.
One thing more they haven't raised their room charges for sometime, I'm sure they can't with the rooms the way they are, but their prices use to be considered pretty high back in the day... The rooms were kept up rustic back then.
Sorry but I must tell the truth......

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandpiper Beach Resort? Share your experiences!