“The chowder is back !” 5 of 5 stars

34300 1st Street Oysterville, WA 98641-1367, Oysterville, WA
(360) 665-6585
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Seafood farm on Willapa Bay.
Description: Seafood farm on Willapa Bay.
Southern California
“The chowder is back !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

You can now make a lunch here of clam chowder, fresh crab and smoked oysters. You cannot get fresh oysters in the summer. I now have to schedule another trip for the fall. They have two white wines and several sodas for sale (No beer). We sampled everything we could, enjoying the back patio overlooking the bay. There was a lady here this time and she was extremely helpful and friendly. The quaint town itself is also worth a visit when visiting the Long Beach peninsula but make sure you save room for at least a bowl of chowder while enjoying the view and the experience here..

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

95% Recommend
Fremont, California
“Fantastic view on a sunny clear day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This place has a nice selection of fresh and canned seafood for sale. The staff was extremely helpful in selecting oysters. They sell wine by the glass and we say outside on the deck on a bright, sunny day and enjoyed a fantastic view. It is a bit off the beaten path but is a very enjoyable surprise.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver
“Oyster Jackpot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

First of all would like to say it is "above and beyond" in customer service thus far for my couple of experiences. Called the main number and left a message on the answering service requesting information on picking up some fresh oysters to take home while in the area on a weekend getaway. Left my cell number and received a return call a short time later from Dan (owner). Although I had called after hours and would be returning on a day they were not currently open (early season mid April) - he made arrangements for me to be able to stop by, meet up with him, and pick up some fresh oysters (in the shell as I requested).

Although the place was recommended by a friend who has eaten there - I didn't eat at the "restaurant" as much as did business with them - a pickup order if you will.

What I didn't expect was when I arrived - he had a couple workers out collecting oysters on the low tide and he himself was trudging a two wheeled cart from the restaurant deck/ loading area to the beach to collect their bagged oysters. Being prepared after making the arrangements to pick up a bushel of medium oysters - I brought two large ice chests.

Also noticed that a couple of elderly gentlemen were also standing on the deck visiting from Utah watching the scene with the same last minute request for some fresh large oysters for the grill.

I have never gotten large oysters like this - only mediums for omelettes, shooters, and frying.

Dan walked me through the meat differences being early in the season for the mediums being on "average a bit light" in the meat department. Convinced me to try some larges as they would be "packing some meat" in the overall comparison even to the extent of being "trophy" size oysters. That was NO Joke. Picked two dozen large oysters and 36 small as well as a 2 lb tub of "cuts" (medium sized shucked oysters cut in the processes) for making a homemade oyster chowder. Also picked up a couple of his recommended oyster knives to add to my collection.

The large size oysters were definitely large - roughly an inch thick and just big enough to cover most of my entire hand. The 'trophies" were big enough to cover my hand and one fills an entire restaurant size omelette.

Dan brought them up in bags and sprayed them off with a hose and double checked the count and condition of the oysters one at a time on the way into the cooler. Any he doubted got pitched back to the beach. Then topped off the oysters with some ice and I think I paid 16 bucks a dozen larges and 16 bucks per 36 mediums. All told had about 24 Large and 36 mediums with 2 pounds of cuts (about 36 mediums for I think $12?).

Shucked the oysters after 2 hours in the cooler ride home with an uncle and father who haven't done it in years. Both said they have never seen oysters that large in their life. And the meat was beautiful. We were eating a medium on occasion right off the shell and a few more for the vacuum sealed canisters. Not ONE bad oyster - all alive and premium quality. Dan's honesty about the mediums being a bit lite on the meat size was spot on for the average - more of a smaller medium average - but no complaints - he told me upfront what I was getting.

In the future - I will be doing more of the large size unless the application wouldn't work - such as shooters - a large would nearly choke a man to death trying to get that down your throat in about 3 - 4 large bites - I know cause I tried it. Decided to man up and do the mother of all oyster shooters and grabbed a large - put it in a normal (8 oz?) crown royal sipping glass with a sludge of Heinz cocktail sauce mixed with some beaver hot horseradish and it filled the entire glass mounded up above the rim - not the prettiest oyster shot ever but I got it down after a few large bites and gulps. Had a pretty good idea how dumb it was and now I KNOW. Ya - I'm a man now and a wiser one for it - no need to do that again and don't recommend it.

Main point - even on a day off he called some of his guys in and met a few "travelers" to get us some oysters. The quality is the best I've ever had and being prior US Navy - I've seen my fair share of oysters all over the place. He was honest about the oysters meat and expected conditions as well as recommendations for my intended purpose and use. Ask your questions - he has good advice.

If your gonna be in the area - call ahead a few days or even a week and make arrangements to get your fill of oysters. Also if you wanna see the process go right to your cooler make arrangements ahead of time so you can time the tides. So far they have been the best quality and freshest oysters I have found - you don't get fresher than out of the sand, rinsed and in hand.

HIGHLY recommend and will be back soon.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lakewood, Washington
“Freshest Seafood Around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This place has all the seafood that you can want, fresh from the sea. Their oysters are fantastic! Plus you get to see the storybook village of Oysterville when you visit.

Visited April 2013
Nashville
“Great fresh Willapas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is the place to go for freshly-harvested oysters. The "extra-small" Willapas we bought were $11 for a quart. We got more than 60 oysters for the price, and though extra small, some still needed to be cut in two before eating with lemon and some cocktail sauce. Great real place, good friendly service, and delicious oysters.

• Visited March 2013