“Pebble Cove Farm” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pebble Cove Farm

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Orcas Island
Pebble Cove Farm
Save Saved
You added Pebble Cove Farm to your Saves list
3341 Deer Harbor Rd, Massacre Bay, Orcas Island, WA   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Orcas Island
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Pebble Cove Farm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We could not have had a better experience than our experience at Pebble Cove Farm. Our kids, ages 5 and 7, loved picking berries and vegetables, enjoyed the campfire and beautiful resort. The highlight of our trip was definitely our boat ride through the San Juan Islands with Captain John. The Resort was very clean and the surroundings were exceptional. John and Lydia go way beyond the norm to make sure that their guests have a great time. We should have stayed longer, however will be back for sure !

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I stayed two wonderful nights in a studio in early June and could not have been happier! The setting is as unique as the photos on the PCF website promise. This is a lovely property where seemingly every guest gets a water view. In the mornings I would raise the shades and watch geese and dear roam around the field that runs to the waterfront. As the day wore on, the resident goats, chickens, and pony took their turn in the yard and the tide moved in and out, constantly changing the scene and providing something new to see, hear, and photograph obsessively (a handful of pics capturing my willing subjects are uploaded here).

The hosts are extremely friendly and, in my opinion, quite special in that they leave the degree of guest interaction entirely up to you. You receive directions to your accommodations with your email confirmation and can let yourself in without assistance. However, they are eager to make themselves available any time you have questions, want recommendations, need something, etc. To me, this makes PCF great for everyone from a family looking for guidance on an activity-filled vacation to a couple seeking privacy during a romantic getaway weekend.

As described in other posts, the attention to detail here is phenomenal. The setting may be rustic, but the rooms are very nicely appointed and extremely clean. My suite had beautiful wood flooring throughout, a tremendously comfortable bed, and any amenity you could possibly need. Hair dryer? Check. Rainy day books and DVDs? Check. Complete set of kitchenware? Check. This last point was a nice selling point for me in particular. As a frequent solo traveler, I don’t care a lot about dining out (it’s a bit awkward on your own and it’s a quick drain on the cash flow!). It was fantastic that the suite came with everything I needed to prepare my own food and the eggs from the hens and fresh veggies from the garden meant I had to buy very few supplemental items to complete my meals (check out the Eastsound Farmer’s Market or ferry landing grocery store).

I could go on and on, but I should leave some things for you to discover during your own stay. ☺ Needless to say, highly recommend Pebble Cove Farm!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

My 2 teenage daughters and I stayed in the cottage at Pebble Cove Farm over the 4th of July weekend. It was such a great weekend. We took advantage of all of the amenities, the fresh veggies from the garden, the fresh eggs, the row boat...everything! My teenagers put away their electronics and actually played! I could not be happier with our visit & will definitely return!

• Stayed July 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This place is a really a gem! The highlight for me was the very large vegetable garden where we harvested kale, lettuce, sugar snap peas, snow peas, and mint to add to our meals. We also enjoyed fresh eggs from the hen house. My son loved the rowboat while my daughter spent hours beach-combing. We had the family suite and that was plenty of room for 4 people. Lydia did a great job of balancing between being available for us but still giving us the privacy. She shared a bottle of fresh goat milk with us as soon as my husband expressed interest and curiosity. She replenished milk and OJ for us whenever we asked. We truly enjoyed our stay and hope to bring others with us in the near future! Thank you, Lydia and family!!

San Rafael, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We came here with a large family group, and really loved it. The rowboat was a hit for everyone. It was so charming to watch the teenager manage the youngers in the rowboat. We also made s'mores, and enjoyed all the farm animals.

The views at this place and fantastic, and ever changing. The tidal changes make for a changing perspective on the bay out front, and we loved seeing all the sea creatures at low tide, purple sea strs, crabs of all sizes..oh, and the clams squirting water out of the exposed sand was quite entertaining.

The garden was beautiful and bountiful, the eggs delicious, and the hosts delightful. Highly recommended, and we cannot wait to go back.

Arcadia, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We had to cancel our four day trip to Pebble Cove Farm for June 17-21st, less than two weeks before our reservation because my mother-in-law suffered a cardiac arrest and then passed away a few days later.

We booked the reservations in January, and excitedly planned to visit the farm and Orcas for the six months leading up to my mother-in-law’s heart attack. We notified Lydia Miller as soon as we realized we could not in good conscience visit Orcas when my mother-in-law was on the East Coast in a hospital; I left a message for her 8 days before the reservation was set to begin.

We understood Ms. Miller runs a small vacation business and it would have been a financial hardship to expect to cancel without any penalty. We asked if she would work with us and either 1) issue a refund for 50% of the total charges, or 2) issue a credit for a future stay during their non-busy period. Unlike other vendors we worked with (both large and small), she would not commit to a decision but said she wanted to wait and see if she could rent out the cottages.

After the reservation period passed, she emailed us to let us know she had rented out both cottages for one of the nights and would credit my credit card for the amount. When I told her we were disputing the remaining 75% charges because we felt she was being unreasonable, she explained she did not have to issue this 25% credit but she did because she felt bad for our loss. So otherwise, if she had not felt badly for our loss, she would have kept our money plus what she made from the other visitor.

She further explained she could not issue a credit for the remaining 75% she charged us because it would prevent her from booking future reservations, even though I had explicitly written we would stay during a non-busy time.

At the end of the day, my credit card company said the charge was valid as they cannot influence the policies made by their vendors. While I understand we were out of the cancellation period and she is legally entitled to that money, I also, understand that a good business person might have been more compassionate, taken a loss or issued a credit for a future stay, and made a lifelong customer who raves about the place. I would caution potential visitors to either 1) buy travel insurance when booking at Pebble Cove Farm because if Ms. Miller is not feeling badly about your loss, you are out of luck, or 2) book somewhere with more compassionate people.

Below is a timeline of what transpired since Ms. Miller accused my sister-in-law’s review of not presenting the facts accurately.

In January 2014, my sister-in-law and I booked two of the cottages at Pebble Cove Farm with Lydia Miller, for our stay June 17-21st. In her confirmation email, it did state their cancellation policy is all cancelled reservations will be charged 10% of your total reservation and that reservations cancelled less than two weeks prior to arrival date will be charged the full amount of the reservation. But we never were worried about having to cancel.

On June 5, 2014 around 9:30pm PST, my husband called me from his visit with his family on the East coast and said his mother had just suffered a massive cardiac arrest and was going in to surgery.

On June 9, 2014 at 12:54 pm and then 1:10pm, I called and left a message for Ms. Miller to call me back as we had decided we could not go on the vacation with my mother-in-law so ill. She returned the call the next day at 9am but I was not home. I tried to return her call at 1:17pm but no answer so I emailed her at 1:25pm explaining the situation and asking if we could postpone our trip to a later date. She responded via email around 6:30pm asking I call her so I called her at 6:56pm. I explained the situation and she said she would try to rent out our cottage and we may be able to work out a credit for a future stay. A few hours later she charged us for both cottages at 9:31pm.

On June 13, 2014, my sister-in-law and her family decided they could not go to Seattle either because my mother-in-law had taken a turn for the worse. They contacted Ms. Miller immediately to cancel.

On June 15, 2014, my mother-in-law passed away.

On June 16, 2014, at 6am, I notified Ms. Miller my mother-in-law had passed away, hoping she would understand it would have been impossible for us to visit her farm and to inquire if anyone had taken over our reservations. In my email, I explained that I understood that as a small business based on vacation season, it would be a financial hardship for her to refund 100% of our charge but I hoped she would work with us and either, “1) issue a credit for the amount we have paid good between your non-busy season, or 2) refund half the total amount paid.

On June 16, 2014 at 11:53pm, Ms. Miller responded they had not rented the cottage and that “I would like to wait and see what happens before I make a decision about a possible credit.”

On June 20, 2014 at 8:58am, Ms. Miller sent an email stating she was able to rent both cottages on June 20 and issued a credit of $594.54 back to my credit card. Her email did not mention a future credit for the other three days we were charged which was what we had really been hoping for so we could still visit her beautiful farm.

On June 25, 2014, at 9:59pm, I emailed Ms. Miller thank her for the credit back to my card and to let her know we had opted to dispute the charge for the remaining three days through my credit card company. I explained to her we had undergone a major family emergency, had notified her as soon as we knew, and that we had hoped she would issue a credit to be used at a later date. I ended the email telling her that I truly hoped we could resolve the issue so everyone was satisfied.

On June 25, 2014, at 10:08pm, Ms. Miller responded to me, “Shame on you.”

One June 27, 2014 at 5:33pm, Ms. Miller sent another email to my brother-in-law and me reiterating that she could not refund our money because of the cancellation policy and that she had been generous in issuing the $594.54 credit because someone else booked a stay. She said she could not issue a credit for a future stay because it would be a loss for her, preventing her from making another, new reservation. She posted this response on TripAdivosr.com in response to my sister-in-law’s review but it has since been taken down.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Lydia2222, Owner at Pebble Cove Farm, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
“Our guests were aware of the two-week cancelation policy for over six months before their planned visit. They canceled within days of the arrival date. I was extremely sympathetic to their situation and tried my best to re-rent their suite for the four days of their reservation. I was successful in re-renting both rooms for one of the four days and was delighted I could refund them this amount, which is not our policy. Pebble Cove Farm is a very small, family-run business and is our only means of support. We simply cannot afford to forgo four days of lodging income at the height of the summer season. Please understand that our cancelation policy is in place for this reason.”
Kiln, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We traveled from the Mississippi Gulf Coast to Orcas Island for our sons wedding. Pebble Cove Farm was an absolutely great choice. Very relaxing. We could easily visit with other family staying there out by the fire pit and watch the eagles, harbor seal and deer. My grandson loved going get fresh eggs each morning for breakfast and checking out the garden. We saw many starfish, clams and oysters when the tide was out. I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a peaceful retreat

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Pebble Cove Farm? Share your experiences!