“Nice place for dinner, especially at sunset!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #25 of 304 Restaurants in Olympia
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Freeland, Washington
“Nice place for dinner, especially at sunset!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We came in time for their "sunset dinners", only served Sunday through Thursday. I had their blackened salmon, mashed potatoes, vegetables, rolls, caesar salad, and creme brulee for one all inclusive price of 18 dollars. It was a nice meal, and for a sit down seafood restaurant in the area, you can't get that much food for that price. Nice views of the water as well.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
“Not worth it, time for a shake-up”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I did not like walking into the strong, musty smell. The carpets were gross. The $18 Sunset Dinner was not a bargain. Crab cakes were mostly cake, flank steak was bland, and seafood saute lacked seafood. I did like the sourdough rolls and the berry ice cream. I enjoyed Tugboat Annie's and Anthony's much more.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Olympia, Washington
“Won't be back soon”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Budd Bay is in a nice setting, which is what drew my friend and I there on a summer evening. The service is friendly and acceptable. The food was disappointing. After giving our order we were provided with "bread," which was really two rolls of a faintly sourdough flavor and a yucky, pasty consistentcy--this is cheap bread. The caesar salad was fine. I ordered salmon grilled on alder plank--it was served on the well-blackened plank, unadorned by any sauce, which is actually the best way to serve plank-grilled salmon. The fish itself was okay--not great, but okay. Served with the salmon: a rice mixture of white and wild rice and--I couldn't believe it--sauteed peeled baby carrots. Olympia in August is rich with a variety of fresh local produce, and this restaurant is serving institutional carrots, probably delivered from a large truck in between deliveries to the kitchens of the hospital and the school district. My plate was a blob of carrots, a blob of rice mixture, and the planked salmon--no attempt at garnish or anything to make the presentation attractive or aesthetically pleasing. Not even a little sprinkle of chopped parsley, nor a spring of something-or-other to add a little visual interest. Add up the cheap bread, the lackluster rice mixture, the pathetic institutional baby carrots (they should be embarrassed), and the lack of effort at plate presentation--the message from the kitchen at Budd Bay Cafe is, "We don't care!"

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sedona, AZ
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

It was an overnight stop between Vancouver BC and the Oregon coast on week 5 of our 7 week road trip. We were staying at the local LaQuinta and I had found a nearby pub on the Internet that looked adequate. On our way out to the car I asked the desk clerk to confirm my dinner choice. She told us it was OK but that she thought we'd like Budd Bay Cafe better. Why argue?
It wasn't far and it was easy to find. We opted for an outdoor table overlooking the marina. We had been advised to try the crab and cheese appetizer. It was so good! I ordered the Cajun Calamari salad and MRP opted for the chicken Parmesan. Both dishes were beyond expectations and very reasonably priced. As we approached our 6th week on the road we both agreed that this was one of the best meals we had had during he whole trip.
The beautiful setting didn't hurt either. We were both snapping photos of each other and the surroundings with the sunset in the blue sky, the boats in the water and the colorful flowers near our table. Out of the thousands of pictures we took on this journey, one of the photos of my wife at Budd Bay Cafe is now her current FB profile photo.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, Arizona
“Sick As a Dog”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

On 8/2/13 at 5:30pm, I ordered the almond Cod. It was a bit off tasting but I ate it. Within about 6 hours, I was throwing up, very sick most of next day. The staff that waited on me was a young thick gentleman, average service, but the food was nothing special. My husband had salmon which he said was just ok. Would not go there again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere