“My home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fertile Ground Guesthouse

Fertile Ground Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Olympia
Fertile Ground Guesthouse
You added Fertile Ground Guesthouse to your Saves list
311 9th Ave SE, Olympia, WA 98501   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Olympia B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
“My home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

SImply put, Fertile Ground is my shangri-la in beautiful Central Washington. I almost hate to write about it because each of the 6 times that I have stayed there, I have left ecstatic. Most wonderful hostesses, (I hate that word but Gail. Karen and Laurel are the women in charge), beautiful garden, lots of opportunities to learn about the community, great location 5 minute walk from downtown Olympia, great breakfasts, wonderful library, CLEAN, comfy mattresses and sheets, ALWAYS interesting other guests, reasonably priced, wonderfully acommodating- I could go on and on. I am sad that I am not there now watching the flowers burst open in beautiful springtime. Oh, how could I forget, an impeccably maintained, turn of the century Craftsman hosue with wonderful rooms. Family friendly.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

Beautiful old house in the heart of olympia. Great hostesses. Fabulous breakfast and even better pumpkin bread. Yummy!!!!

• Stayed December 2010
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

Olympia isn't what I'd call a tourist town. It's small and hasn't a lot to offer, but then with today's economy, this might have played into the run down and funky feel of this capitol city. It's a college town in many ways.

I'm not a fan of hotel chains, and each time I'd come to Olympia in the past, that's just what I always ended up in, until I found Fertile Ground for this trip. There's nothing fancy about this B&B. but, it's friendly, cozy, a little funky, could use a little fixing up in some places, but all in all, I felt welcome and enjoyed my stay.

The house is a historic Craftsman style. The floors are a little uneven in spots, and the stairs squeak as you go up them. There are only 3 rooms in the house to let. Each is cozy and has a queen bed. I had the smallest room. One shared bath upstairs has a claw footed tub with organic and natural body products. My room, a somewhat old Mexico styled room, was on the first floor, with only a shower, no tub. The bathroom was off the kitchen, so it was also shared by everyone else in the place. The bed was not the most comfortable; the mattress was kind of old and hard for my liking, but as I'm chemically sensitive and allergic to many things, I had requested the memory foam topper be removed, as well as anything wool. The down comforter was just the right weight and the pillows were also just fine, though the pillow cases were too short for the pillows. Still, I slept just fine.

There is a common room downstairs with a piano and it adjoins the dining room, which flows into the large country kitchen. Upstairs also has a small living room, TV with VCR, and a lending library with an unusual collection of books and guides.

The organic gardens surrounding the property are great, a little funky, and only flowers and a few herbs were up this time of year. There is a sauna under the house, but it an extra fee and requires prior arrangements to use as it's locked. All in all though, it's a welcoming community here. It's earthy, homey, and very relaxed.

Gail, my host, is an old hippy type of woman. Very friendly, once she's awake. Her breakfasts are nothing fancy, but very good, fresh hot meals, made with love and care. Each day was something different and she's quite accommodating when it came to dietary restrictions. Almost everything, food wise, is from local producers and is organic.

I'm a very early riser, so making my own tea or coffee before she came in to the kitchen wasn't an issue for either of us. She would have the coffee maker set up for me some mornings in advance, and leave me note on the kitchen table. A couple of mornings I found I had to fend for myself, but she after she'd shown me the ropes, I had not problem with this. Also, as my daughter came over to stay 2 nights with me, to work on some things together, we were allowed to cook our own dinner or heating up leftovers from the night before and lunch. We were given room in the fridge to store our foods, and shown where everything was we might need.

The owners have 2 other places nearby that are slightly different than this one, and there is an adjoining, longer term stay townhouse connected via the garden, but owned by another couple.

I'll return here again and again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

My time at Fertile Ground was so nurturing that I felt like I'd come home to Grandmas house. Everything was so comfortable and accessible. They let you in their kitchen to make snacks! The grounds are an oasis in downtown - including a large organic garden. The bed was superb - breakfast was a healthy feast. And oh the coffee. Wish I could move in.

• Stayed April 2010
Port Townsend, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

I was delighted to find this place a short drive from my workshop location in Olympia. It's on a quiet street next to the library and the sweet Victorian has been lovingly remodeled, keeping the charm (and the squeaky floorboards!) but modernised for comfort. I had a great night's sleep in the West Room and my only desire was for blackout drapes (I always bring an eyemask, so it wasn't a problem...) Gail was wonderful--warm and down-to-earth. Breakfasts at B&Bs are often slightly stressful for me, but Gail was so relaxed, I relaxed too, and enjoyed a fabulous breakfast of perfectly scrambled eggs and toast in her warm and inviting kitchen. I'm looking forward to going back later this month!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Been to Fertile Ground Guesthouse? Share your experiences!