“Inconsistent, often poor” 2 of 5 stars

Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions
Ocean Shores, WA
“Inconsistent, often poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

I'm lucky enough to live here on the North Coast and the Galway Bay Pub is one of the places I used to frequent but, unfortunately, the service and food have become highly inconsistent. Go for the live music and the Guinness on draft, but avoid the food unless you're willing to take your chances on the quality or lack thereof and wait an indeterminate amount of time to receive your order. The steaks are usually pretty reliable, as are the sausage roll and traditional Irish breakfast. The fish and chips look like something from the freezer section of the local grocery store and is to be avoided unless you really enjoy Mrs Paul's Fish Sticks.

Seattle, Washington
“Great Food. Great Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

Pros:
- Food was great - we ordered the seafood patsy and a cup of chowder. Our order came with soda bread. Everything was wonderful. My husband and I split our meal and both had plenty to eat.
- Atmosphere - there was a great group playing irish music and they were so fun to listen to!
- Prices - the cup of chowder was $4.99. our entree was $16.99 (this was about the average price), but was enough food to split comfortably.

Cons:
- server - our waiter wasn't the greatest - it took him awhile to bring us our drinks and an extra plate since we had split our meal. Overall he was slow, but still very friendly.

Overall -
We thoroughly enjoyed our evening at Galway Bay and I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Ocean Shores. Food and atmosphere made up for the lacking service.

Everett
“Worst restaurant experience I ever had”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

I never before wrote a restaurant review, but I feel that I need to tell this story to enable other people to avoid the same unpleasant experience. Over St. Patrick's Day weekend we stayed in Ocean Shores and naturally we had to check out it's only Irish Pub. Saturday night we got there late and found a full house listening to a live musician. It took quite a while before a waiter came and took our drink orders. It took even longer to get them, but we attributed it to the busy house. When we got ready to have another beer, the pub has cleared out by now, and our waiter has changed. We never were asked whether we need something else and had to call for the waiter to get another drink. There were three tables left who had customers by now. We still gave them the benefit of the doubt, and thought maybe things got mixed up with the waiter change. Next day we came back around 1p.m. for a quick lunch. We ordered soups, salad and drinks, and waited well over 90 min before our food arrived. Again no one checked on us, or came to explain why the food takes so long. We decided not to leave a tip and a comment that the service was really slow. On our way out our waiter (who turned out to be the restaurant manager) flagged us down, not to apologize but to yell at us for our impertinence. He said it says it clearly in the menu, that this is not a fast-food establishment and they were really busy. We said it should not take 2 h to get lunch and we experienced the same service last night when it was really slow. His answer was " Are you [--] kidding me? Get the [--] out of here. We don't want our money!" (which apparently they do want as we did not get our money back). He wasn't using the ....... in his speech. I was absolutely speechless, something like this has never happened to me before and I will never be back to this place.

Washington State
“Ok- but I will not return”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

This was a Sunday afternoon, review.

The service was nice, but slow. I never got a refill on my water. The food took 25-30 min. to come after we ordered it. We ordered sandwiches.

The food was ok, but expensive for what you got. The clam chower had extra chewy clams, yuck. The cornbeef sandwich was good, but fatty. The potatoes were either over cooked or greasy.

The child's fish and chips came with one small piece of fish and greasy shoestring fries.

The only great item was the irish soda bread, which was wonderful.

seattle
“Great reviews, terrible experience!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

On a recent weekend trip to Ocean Shores, we were looking forward to checking out the Galway Bay. We had read quite a few good reviews online, and it looked like a great place to get a nice meal and a few pints of good beer. Although I normally avoid the kitsch Irish pub tourist trap, this place seemed to have a good reputation for traditional Irish fare. Having grown up on eating the cooking of my Irish father, I was hoping to enjoy some familiar foods.
Upon entering the restaurant, we were surprised that the place was mostly empty, but took it only to mean that we would receive attentive, quick service. As mostly every empty table was filthy, we found the least offensive one and wiped it down ourselves with a rag that sat on the next table (and remained there for the duration of our visit). We ordered a couple of pints of Irish beer, which came out fairly promptly and was cold and delicious. We then ordered our appetizers and dinner all at once, and began to enjoy a small loaf of (seemingly) homemade bread, also delicious. Our appetizer came out in a timely manner, along with a dinner salad that came with one of our dishes. During this time, other diners had been entering by twos and fours, but the restaurant never reached even half full. When the waitress cleaned our appetizers, we ordered two more pints and were well on our way to an enjoyable dinner.
That is when the waiting began. The food seemed to be taking a long time, but we were enjoying our beers and conversation so didn't stress about it right away. Someone who had gotten there before us complained to the waitress about the wait, so we figured we would give it a bit more time and ask about our food soon after. Then we started noticing that other tables who had come in well after us were getting their meals. We had decided to just cancel the order, pay, and leave. When we flagged down the waitress, we were told that our food was being plated. Several minutes later we asked again, and received the same answer, this time with an apology that a group of 20 had come in, and their entire order was prepared first. She offered to buy us A beer, which we didn't need after two pints each with no real food. At this point it had been a full 90 minutes since we had placed our order, and we saw no group of 20, only smaller, seperate groups. We once again tried to cancel our order, but she told us that it was ready. We asked her to box it and bring us the check, on which she had comped two of our beers. The bill still came out to $42!
I have worked in food service for 15 years, and I have never left without tipping, however this experience left me no choice. The service was horrible, the waitress dropped the ball, and then ignored our table rather than admit to her mistake and try to make the customer feel satisfied with the experience. We had barely gotten out the door before my boyfriend suggested putting up a review so that people weren't duped by the other glowing reviews online.
Insults to injury:
1. The food was totally sub-par. My vegetable pasty and my boyfriend's fish and chips both tasted as if they both consisted of mostly (if not entirely) frozen ingredients.
2. Throughout the ordeal, we had the misfortune of having to listen to some guy with a guitar butchering both Irish and American classics.
3. The authentic Irishman proprietor is third generation. Doesn't everyone have a great-grandparent from the Emerald Isle?