“Very Unhappy” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Moses Lake
“Very Unhappy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2005

We have stayed at the Sands at least once a year for the past 10 years. The service, cleanliness, and overall experience this time around was the worst I have ever received. When I made my reservations I let the staff know that I had a discount coupon for the rooms. When they gave me prices and confirmation numbers, they included the discount of $30.00 per night in the cost.

After arriving, the staff was unwilling to accept our discounts as it was Spring Break week and there are no discounts during that period. I mentioned that it had been confirmed but they were unwilling to accept the discount.

We checked in to our room and found that the roll-away bed that had been prearranged was not in place. It was after 10 pm before it arrived in the room as the staff "forgot" to deliver it.

The condition of the rooms was unacceptable. One room had not been cleaned at all as there were toothpaste "slugs" in the bathroom sink, a dirty kitchen towel in the kitchenette and dirty coffee filters and half a pot of coffee in the machine. When we called to report on the condition of the room, the desk clerk said that there was no one available to clean the room until the following morning. I let them know that it was unacceptable and they finally sent maintenance in to clean for us.

Light bulbs were burned out and a remodel was obviously in place as there was sawdust in the second room of our suite. Service was slow, rooms were not cleaned before five pm on any of the four days of our stay.

I was very disappointed in the service and general conditions during our stay. We choose the Sands because of the casual, family friendly environment. I do not expect luxury. I am sad to say that after a 10 year relationship with the hotel that we will not return.

• Stayed April 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2005

The Sands is pathetically run down and dirty. The first night, we requested a non-smoking room, but the room that attached to us smoked so badly that it poured in our room through the cracks of the attaching door. The closet door was broken off in that room, the carpet was dirty as if it hadn't been vacumed, and the window wouldn't open when we tried to get some fresh air into the room. We switched to a different room the following night, where the plumbing needed attention; sink, toilet, and tub. Mildew was growing all over the grout in the bathroom as well. We were so dissapointed in our first trip to Ocean Shores that we have no intention of visiting that town again.

• Stayed April 2005
Gig Harbor, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2005

My three grown daughters and my two grandsons and I stayed in a small one bedroom suite at the Sands two years ago. It was not new, but clean and wonderful for the kids to run around (ages 2 and 5) and not worry about breaking anything. It's a fantastic family hotel on the beach! I just booked a room again for this next summer....now with three grandkids! We can't wait to go again!

• Stayed July 2003
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2005

Although There's Other Places To Stay At Ocean Shores, We Really Do Prefer To Stay At "The Sands". We've Been Coming To Ocean Shores For All Our Lives Basically. My Grandparents Brought "Us" Kids Down Here For All Our Summer Vacations,And To Visit With My Grandma's Two Brothers And One Sister, To Clam Dig, And Even A Couple Or So Family Reunions, And To Just Enjoy Each Others Companionship. My Parents Have Also Brought Us Down Here To Ocean Shores When We Were All Growing Up, And To Be Quite Honest "Yes" We Have Stayed Elsewhere Besides "The Sands Resort". "The Sands Resort" Is Roomy And Very Comfortable. It's Not Brand New, But The Resort Has Absolutly Everything To Make You Extremely Comfortable, Every Room Will Certaintly Accomodate Any Traveler. The Staff Has Been So Very Nice To Us Whenever We Needed Anything, Anything Whatsoever. The Pool Is Such A Great Extra And So Is The Hot Tub. I've Never Found The Sands Resort To Of Been Anything But Clean, Never Any Bugs, Always Very Very Nice. I Will Stay Here Again.

Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2004

I'm not sure where these people with the terrible reviews stayed, but it doesn't sound like the Sands Resort I was at! I booked my room over the phone and nearly canceled when I found this site. However, we decided to give it a try and cancel when we got there if it was awful. It wasn't!

We stayed in a ground floor room with sliding doors out to the sand dunes and a little kitchenette. This hotel is not new, but it is clean and pleasant and we will definately stay there again. In fact, we can't wait to go back. My son and our dog had the greatest time running back and forth from the room to the beach. The breakfast offering was nice with bagels and cream cheese, fresh coffee, orange and apple juice, and yes--a bowl of Little Debbies-type breakfast snacks.

If you want elegance go to the Shilo Inn. If you want a reasonably priced room where you can bring your dog--The Sands Resort is great!

• Stayed September 2004
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2004

Went to Ocean Shores yesterday, not really a vacation trip, we (my mom and I)were checking out some property in the area. We saw a sign on the side of the road. It said 48 dollars a nite. We went in to the office, stated we wanted the 48 dollar room, gave our debit card, recieved a pair of keys, checked in. When we were getting ready to turn the lights out and go to sleep, my mom looked at her receipt. 76 DOLLARS!
What the hell?!!!
It was late, and we decided to raise hell in the morning...to no avail. The snotty little clerk at the counter offered no solutions, didn't appear to give a damn about the blatant screw-up, and said her boss wouldn't be in until 10:00 am and the clerk who gave us the room had that day off. Needless to say we had appointments to keep, and couldn't wait around for the boss all morning. Sure, we SHOULD HAVE looked at the slip before entering the room, but before you get on my back about that, I just want to point out that this is just a typical example of how everyone tries to screw you out of a buck and nobody gives (---) about the service they provide or the quality of their customer relations. My experience in Ocean Shores proves to me, what I already know, the people in Ocean Shores are snobs, jerks and crooks. It's too bad, because it would be such a lovely place to visit otherwise. I won't be buying property in the area. I hate the people. And the way they run their businesses, is just an example of the slimy kind of people who live and work there.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2004

Business owners near the Sands booked a room for the weekend for us. We have let them know the condition of our room. It was filthy. Apples smashed and dried on the wall above the trash can, floor and walls were filthy as well. The bathroom tile was new but the tack strip in the doorway was exposed and caused injury to my foot. No chairs to sit in so the bed is ruined where everyone sits on the side to watch TV. No screens on the windows and no airconditioning. Yes it does get hot at the beach. We won't be back to the Sands.

Been to The Sands Resort? Share your experiences!