“Try it, you'll like it--well-prepared food; delicious!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 71 restaurants in Oak Harbor
Cuisines: Italian
Oak Harbor, Washington
“Try it, you'll like it--well-prepared food; delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

My husband & I went last night to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary & we were totally satisfied with everything--I brought home most of my Cheesecake to enjoy today! My husband had his own piece but he ate all of his, there! I read on here that Sal (owner/Chef) was from Queens & as I lived on 108th Street in Queens way back in 1965 I was looking forward to some authentic New York Italian food. He delivered. I asked our wonderful, smiling & cheerful waitress, Jessica, if he made the sauce (I had Cheese Ravioli with a marvelous Marinara Sauce over it) & she said that indeed he did! The Cheese in the Baked Pasta was wonderful! My husband loved his Lobster Ravioli Forresta & we both were delighted with our appetizer of "Artichokes Oregenata." Additionally, we each had a cup of delicious coffee which I asked about & Jessica said it was our own local Fidalgo Bay Coffee. My husband usually adds cream but he said it was so good on its own he drank it black! He was a Lobster Fisherman off the coast of Maine, where he grew up years ago & he never eats lobster in a restaurant--he did this time because we heard Sal was from the East Coast. He said it was delicious! We had the Garlic Rolls (6) and they were nearly too hot to break--but melted the Real Butter immediately & were quite tasty-we brought three of them home for today! A lot of food & only $46. total (I heard they offer a military discount but told my husband I did NOT want to use that, and I gave Jessica a good, well deserved tip! (I am one of these particular folks who has to put her cream into the cup before the coffee, & she accommodated me with a smile!) A lady came to our table to wish us a Happy Anniversary & to inquire as to whether our food had been to our liking and if everything was OK. Nice gesture, I guess she is either his wife or co-owner, not sure. He (Sal--owner/chef) did such a great job & I would have liked to tell him that, but he didn't make it to our table. Maybe the next time. We WILL be returning--we own a house & live right here in Oak Harbor. I am looking forward to having their "Brick Oven Pizza." Have tried ALL the other Pizza's in town & being from NYC, where Pizza's are "to die for" (in my opinion!) I have been disappointed with them all. Jessica says he makes his own Pizza Sauce, and he puts a layer of cheese, then a layer of sauce, and then another layer of cheese & she thinks I could request a "Thin Crust" & get it, too. I will have Pizza there, SOON! Lets see, what holiday is coming up? Oh YEA, my Husband's Birthday--you KNOW where I will be taking him! Go-enjoy-then come back on here & give your opinion, too! Bet you have only praises! Great job, Sal, KEEP it up, thanks for moving here & taking a chance on us!

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
Oak Harbor, Washington
“Good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Haven't been in since they opened, but they had good food then. Hope to return soon.

Visited June 2011
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

Both times I have been to Cafe Bella for lunch I had the Chicken Baresa and it was absolutely scruptious! The food is to-die-for delicious - authentic Italian! Only drawback is that they don't sell wine but the food is delicious!
gail

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Needs work....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011 via mobile

I brought my husband to Oak Harbor to show him where I was born and raised...we went downtown and decided on cafe Bella for lunch...when we walked in I was a little disappointed at the atmosphere....they did have some neat pictures on the wall but it was to exposed to the shopping area and felt more like a food court at the mall instead of a restaurant...we were promptly seated and another group came in shortly after us...we were disappointed by no wine or beer and our drink order was taken at the same time as the table behind us...they also had their food order taken first and recieved their food first...I got the lobster ravioli which was good but for what I paid I only got 4 silver dollar sized ravioli in s cream sause with a few sauteed mushrooms...a little disappointing....I would go back after some time for them to get things straightened out ....

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States
“An underwhelming experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

My wife saw that this new restaurant had opened where a pizza buffet had been before, so we decided to give it a try.

Firstly, their slogan is "We do things the old fashioned way".

The atmosphere wasn't very different from the pizza buffet place that was there before, maybe some different pictures on the walls, maybe.

Many of their menu items appeared to be very Americanized Italian food (such as Mozzarella sticks). Which I don't have a problem with, but it doesn't fit with their slogan.

We ordered a pizza with sausage and pepperoni and an appetizer of mozzarella sticks. They got the pizza order wrong, even though they read it back to me over the phone (this was a carry out order). They made it with sausage and red peppers, not pepperoni. So I took it back inside and they corrected the problem after about a 10 minute wait.

Got back home. The mozzarella sticks were clearly mass-produced frozen, and not very good ones at that. The breading and cheese were fairly tasteless. Half the order (2 sticks) got thrown away.

The pizza tasted like it had no sauce on it at all and was rather flat and lifeless. The taste was flat and lifeless as well, the crust particularly so.

Maybe their other food is better, but I won't be trying them again.

If you want fantastic authentic Italian food in Island/Skagit counties, you can't beat Il Granaio in Mt Vernon. The other reviewer who said Cafe Bella was the best Italian food within a hundred miles clearly doesn't know what they're talking about.

• Visited November 2011