“A Super Find in Oak Harbor” 5 of 5 stars

Acorn Motor Inn
31530 State Route 20, Oak Harbor, Whidbey Island, WA 98277   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Oak Harbor B&B and Inns
SEQUIM
“A Super Find in Oak Harbor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Like another recent reviewer, I can't understand why some folks are knocking this fantastic Inn. There is absolutely no other place in Oak Harbor where you can stay in a beautiful room with two queen size beds for $59. The closest price for similar accommodations was over $100 per night in Oak Harbor. I read the reviews that said the manager, Gary Wing, made some comments about preferring customers to book direct with the Inn instead of using a booking service (which by the way can take 8.5%-20% of the price of the room). For $59, I wanted to make sure they got the entire amount of the money, so they can keep the prices low!!! There was no problem with reserving the room by phone - we got exactly what we requested. Keep in mind that they have recently spent about $1 million refurbishing this place (I stayed there many years ago before the renovation and it was very "dated" back then). Like another reviewer said, "don't judge a book by its cover". It doesn't look like much from the outside because all their money for renovation went into their rooms. For example, our room (#219) had a completely tiled shower/bath, solid wood headboards on the beds, extremely comfortable "living room" type chairs (best we have ever had in a hotel); solid wood dresser drawer (with tongue and groove joints on the drawers), flat screen TV, comfortable beds, etc., etc., etc. The only "knock" on the place is that the room appears very small because the large and high quality furnishings!! Nevertheless, the room is extremely comfortable. The continental breakfast is very limited, but the muffins are huge! Keep in mind, folks, we're talking rates of $59-$69 for all this!! Make your reservation by calling Gary at the Acorn Inn instead of booking on-line. You'll help all future visitors to this outstanding property enjoy excellent accommodations at an extremely good price!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Congress, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

My daughter and I were extremely tired by the time we got to Whidbey Island so we appreciated a first floor room that was clean, pleasant, comfortable, and had free Hi-Speed Internet. It was well placed to local stores and as with everything on Whidbey Island, close to sightseeing. The breakfast was adequate. Certainly for the price, it was an excellent choice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Washington USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

While I rate this as average, the rooms were clean and the bed very comfortable. It is not a 5 star motel but it was very satisfactory to us. Muffins and bagels with coffee and OJ for breakfast. A refrigerator in room and a microwave. There was a Safeway(6am opening) across busy street with a light, some fast food and a Walmart close by. There was a nice beach withing walking distance if you were a regular walker. I would stay in this motel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
West Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Enjoyable and restful overnight stay at this inn. Room was spacious and clean - parking convenient.
We didn't eat the breakfast offerings as had other plans, but noticed basic items were offered.
Good choice for overnight on Oak Harbor.

• Stayed August 2013
Sonoma County, Callifornia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I really don't know why there are complaints about the Acorn. I can understand being a little put out if you wanted a non-smoking room and none were available, but our experience at the Acorn was excellent! The room was large, very clean, and beautifully furnished. The bed was quite comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast, albeit limited, was more than adequate for a continental-style breakfast - blueberry muffins, bagels and cream cheese, english muffins, jams, etc., plus coffee and orange juice. Hubby and I stayed here one of the last nights of a 2 week road trip, and our experience at the Acorn was every bit as nice as several resorts where we stayed - some costing over $200 a night, while our room at the Acorn cost $69. I'm a picky person, too, yet I found nothing to complain about...well, maybe powdered creamer instead of half-n-half for my morning coffee, but that's it. I highly recommend the Acorn.

Room Tip: Room 106 is large with a king-size bed, non-smoking
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wichita
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We decided to attend the Anacortes Crafts Festival and couldn't find a hotel, so I used an online service to search for any available rooms in the area. Acorn Motor Inn was the only place that had vacancy, so I booked 2 rooms through the online service. I then called the hotel directly the next day to confirm the booking.
My daughter and brother-in-law were the first to arrive for check-in, only to find out that one of our rooms was a smoking room, not non-smoking as we had specified. The owner said they were "all out" of non-smoking rooms and had been "airing it [the smoking room] out all day" and "it should be fine." As anyone knows, the smell of smoke gets trapped in rooms, in the walls and fabric, and there is little you can do to remove it, so it's never "fine". Arguing with him did no good, and as there were no other rooms nor hotels available within an hour's radius, we knew we were stuck. On top of this, no apology was delivered, just a droning lecture about how booking online costs him more money, and we should always contact the hotel directly. My brother-in-law, quite put out with this rude behavior, wanted to respond, yet could not understand the owner very well, and repeatedly had to ask him, "What?... What was that?" It was ridiculous and extremely arrogant of the owner to keep going on about a petty point, instead of apologizing to the customer!
My sister-in-law and I arrived later, and were treated to the same tedious lecture about the evils of online booking. When I attempted to respond to this rude, arrogant man, he just cut me off and kept talking! He certainly doesn't have to worry about me booking online for his hotel anymore.
The rooms were average, clean enough, with a fridge and microwave. The breakfast was a joke, but better than nothing, I suppose. We did not partake, as we left one morning before it was ready, and skipped it the next.
The doors on the rooms do not have a chain or a catch, but there is a rubber doorstop provided which you can wedge under the door after it is locked. And you WILL want to do so, as the doors at the end of the halls (both upper and lower) do NOT lock and remain open ALL NIGHT! So even though there may be someone at the front desk (?), anyone at all can enter the hotel through the corridor doors! No security at all. I did hear people in the hall at night and a couple of times someone messed with the door, but can't be sure who it was or why (wrong room? a robber?) Also, even though we put out the "Do Not Disturb" sign, the maid (I hope it was the maid) repeatedly kept trying to come in and clean our room, starting at 7:08 AM!! We called out to go away for a couple of hours, to no avail.
We checked out a day early to head home, and received a phone call from the owner at six o'clock pm that evening (Is it coincidence that he phoned precisely when free cancellation ends? I think not.) to inquire where we were-- the maid had "just discovered" [Sure] that our luggage was gone! Were we coming back? When I said that we had checked out, he replied that we would be charged for the last day, as we had not notified the hotel before 6pm that we weren't returning. I told him that we turned in our keys and checked out, surely that indicated we wouldn't return. As usual, he kept up a barrage of excuses and lectures, ending with, "You will be getting no refund!" before he hung up on me.
Needless to say, I would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ellensburg, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We took our two grandchildren and stayed here for two nights. We were very pleased with the décor, staff, cleanliness, etc. Big screen TV was a plus and it was nice to have microwave and fridge with the kids along.
Continental breakfast consisted of muffins (very Good) or bagels and juice. Very centrally located for exploring the various parks and beaches on Whidbey Island or taking a run up to Anacortes.
Last but certainly counts a lot to us--the beds were GREAT!! Will certainly return, oh yes, the cost was very reasonable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Acorn Motor Inn? Share your experiences!