“Excellent Food & Service” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 75 Restaurants in Oak Harbor
Cuisines: Seafood
West Kelowna, Canada
“Excellent Food & Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stopped in to have a late lunch and certainly glad we did! Split an order of clams and mussels along with a wonderful salmon sandwich - both orders were well prepared, fresh and left our taste buds totally satisfied. Highly recommend this spot - wish we had stayed in the area longer to sample even more of the menu!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Good food but bad service!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I have been here multiple times hoping for better service since I really like the food, but after many failed attempts stopped going altogether. The food is great but terrible service. Won't be going back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Really Good Fish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time eating here and the food was amazing. I had the cod fish and chips with sweet potato fries. The tartar sauce was delicious, as was the chili-lime tartar sauce and ranch. The fish was light and not greasy. The prices are good and the food came fairly fast. I will definitely be eating there again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mount Dora, Florida
“Food Is OK, But Expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We just completed our fourth meal at Seabolt's in the past couple of months. I wanted to give them several opportunities to address a couple of issues before writing a review.

The restaurant is in what I would describe as a fishmonger's shop. They call it a deli, and I suppose that works as well. It is not really a restaurant. There are a total of 11 tables, ten are four tops, and one seats two people. If the restaurant were filled they would have a total of 42 customers. I have never seen it full.

When it comes to ambiance, I give it fairly low marks. It is clean, but the decor is utilitarian. Every surface is hard so the place is very noisy. It is impossible to have a reasonable conversation while dining there.

When we ate there tonight there were twenty people eating. There were four servers and four people working behind the counter in the kitchen area. These seem like reasonable ratios of guests to workers. Still, it took several minutes for anyone to acknowledge us and give us a table, and a bit longer for the beverage lady to arrive.

Tonight we ordered a shrimp cocktail to share, clam strips and halibut and chips. We also ordered cups of clam chowder, and ask to have the chowder preceded our meal because we have not been able to achieve this on previous visits. The shrimp arrived in a large puddle of water. We dried them off, and they were good, but when I pay $10 for five shrimp I expect them to be served on a bed or ice or in a cocktail glass....not in a white restaurant service ceramic bowl soaking in water.

Our meals were a bit slow to come up, but as I watched other diners this seemed to be the rule. I did not see any big take-out order or any reason why the food was slow to arrive. Perhaps I am a bit impatient. When I am eating in a place that looks and feels like a fast food joint maybe i expect my food to be fast.

As always, no clam chowder arrived in the appetizer stage of the meal, and would not have been delivered at all had we not requested it after our entrees were served. I can understand forgetting to serve the soup before the entree once, but four times? No explanation. Just a shrug of the shoulders and a giggle. I am beginning to wonder if it is possible to even get chowder before the entree.

The food is good. The clam chowder is nice. It is certainly not the best I have ever eaten. It is not even close to the best, but it is completely adequate and I am not unhappy with it. That same observation is generally true for the other things we have ordered. We enjoy the panko breading on the halibut and chips. I have been fond of the clams, but tonight they had been over-cooked and were tough and lost the sweet flavor they had when I ate them at Seabolt's three weeks ago.

Once the food had been delivered we never saw a server again. We managed to catch her as she walked past us to request a beverage refill. Other than that we did not see her until she delivered the bill. We had three entries, two children's meals, two cups of chowder and a shrimp cocktail. We had no beverages. Our total bill came to $95.

I do not object to paying for outstanding food in a pleasant restaurant. I do not feel I get my money from Seabolt's. If I pay $100 for a meal for three people I expect to eat it on china, not in a paper lined basket. I expect a bit of atmosphere. I expect someone to check back at least once during the meal. I expect my meal to be served in the proper sequence, and I do not expect to have to request my soup after I have received my entree.

This restaurant is as expensive as several other places we eat in the area that provide outstanding service, a full bar, real china, and a decor with some kind of atmosphere. The food is good. It is not spectacular. The best thing I can say about it is that if you are in Oak Harbor it is very convenient, and it is only for that reason that we will return. It is my emergency "go-to" place when other plans do not work out satisfactorily. It is not a place we deliberately select for a great dining experience. Unfortunately the prices are the same as that great dining experience.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boulder, Colorado
“excellent seafood simply prepared”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We were up near Deception Pass and, needing lunch, decided to try our luck in nearby Oak Harbor. Options seemed a bit bleak until we came across Seabolt's. Seemed to be a reasonable crowd there so we gave it a try. And we were quite pleased. Lot's of different options for seafood in various forms: fried (fish, oysters, prawns clams, calamari and chips), steamed (mussels, clams and crab) and soups (chowder, gumbo and stew) among other offerings.

We started with a cup of the "award-winning" chowder, which was thick, rich, smokey and full of clams while we decided what should follow. Penn Cove mussels or Manilla Clams, both harvested just down the road? Fortunately, Seabolt's offers "Mixed Shells", a great way to have both. And both were excellent.

Next we were considering fish and chips, but Seabolt's doesn't have just "fish" and chips, but rather a choice of halibut, cod, or salmon and chips. Another dilemma, but fortunately they offer a "sampler" (all three fish) and chips. On their arrival I was a bit concerned that the breading appeared rather thick and Panko-like crunchy. I generally prefer lighter breading that focuses on good quality fish. But all three fish had excellent flavor, were perfectly cooked, and the crunchy coating was not at all greasy or too heavy. We finished every bite.

This was our only visit to this restaurant, but based on each of our selections being a hit, I suspect that they do most things well. We would certainly return if in the area again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere