“Beautiful!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 17 Attractions in Oak Harbor
Type: Parks, State Parks, Bodies of Water, Outdoors
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: This isn't a lie: with over 30 miles of hiking trails, this park is one of the premier hiking destinations in the country.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
11 attraction reviews
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Absolutely breathtaking!! We visited the bridge twice. Once after a storm - it was still extremely windy. The wind was so strong the trees were bending over and it pushed you a little as you made your way down the path that twisted down beneath the bridge.

The second time was yesterday. It was sunny and the water was relatively calm. However, it was packed with a lot of people, so we made our way over to the west beach in the park.

The path down is very steep. If you have small children, be certain to hold on to them, as it is still quite windy, even on a sunny day. One clumsy move and you might take a nasty tumble down off of the edge of the cliff. I'll admit, it did frighten me a bit at the thought of one of my children tumbling over the edge. The water is a very pretty shade of green.

Bring a jacket to block out the strong, cold wind.

I didn't test out the bathrooms, although my son said they were quite gross and refused to use them the second time we came through. Being a female, I am turned off by the restrooms at most parks. I try to make sure that I take care of "that" before getting into the parks, especially if it is just the children and myself.

West Beach has lots of different sized pebbles. Many rocks that others were climbing on. I didn't try to climb on them, mainly because of my two year old. It did look like fun though. I didn't see too much wildlife. Maybe I didn't look hard enough? I saw lots of wildlife in/around Cranberry Lake as we went to leave though.

The water was clear, frothy and pretty calm. It sparkles with a greenish-blue tint.

Please note, there is no fee when visiting the bridge. However, if you want to go into the park, there is a $10.00 fee for a one day Discover Pass or you can purchase an annual pass for $30.00.

If I could come down here by myself, I would definitely do that. There are many opportunities for a "picture perfect" moment. Either way, it's a beautiful area. If you want to avoid the crowds, come in the winter on a sunny day. It's cold, but well worth it!

Visited March 2013

Coupeville, Washington
14 attraction reviews
“No Small Wonder”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

It's one of the most popular parks in Washington, and with good reason. Plenty of good camping spots, trails, beaches, lakes, views--not much missing. The walk across the bridge is beautiful, but a bit scary, although there is a wire you can hold onto, to keep you from blowing over (which very rarely happens. This is an awesome place, and can be even more so if you take a boat or kayak tour through the waters.

Visited January 2013
Sammamish, Washington
10 attraction reviews
“Gorgeous! Great for Camping”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I went camping here with my family and came back again just for the drive. It was a beautiful area and the camping wasn't over crowded. There was a great hiking area on a little island near our camp site and we walked the whole thing. Great just to get out of the house and spend some time enjoying nature.

Seattle, Washington
6 attraction reviews
“beautiful setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is one of the best state parks in Washington.
Located right on the water edge, the views are unbelievable.

Visited September 2012
Whidbey Island
10 attraction reviews
“Something for everyone in an old growth forest.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Deception Pass State Park is one of the few remaining areas with old growth huge trees. Most of Whidbey Island has been logged at one time, although this is not visible to visitors.
In the park there are many different things to do. Bowman Bay is a great spot. There is a picnic area, playground, a dock and walking trails along the bay. Good examples of buildings and picnic shelters built by the CCC are still in good repair and use. CCC members during the great depression built many of the improvements in the park. Cranberry Lake is a fresh water lake and on the other side of the parking lot people can play in the saltwater of the Salish Sea. Camping, boating, swimming, picnicking, hiking, fishing, it is all at the park. The Deception Pass bridge leads people onto the Island. This park is one of the most visited parks in the state, a gem.

Visited September 2012