“Would Never Visit Again” 2 of 5 stars

Bonneville Hot Springs Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1252 E Cascade Drive, North Bonneville, WA 98639   |
Hotel packages
Portland, OR
“Would Never Visit Again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I'm SO glad my company bit this loss and it wasn't my personal funds that went to toward this disappointing weekend. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it was not this. The hot spring pool is indoors and feels in every way like a steamy public pool. The only connection to outdoors was in the hot tub outside. This was nice, but in no way a destination. I had the outdoor hot pool to myself because it was just about closing time, but it wouldn't have taken many guests to make the pool feel crowded. There was little connection to nature. I gazed on the back of a fairly unattractive hotel. I brought kids along on this business trip after talking to an enthusiastic booking agent who told me that kids were welcome in the pool, but when we arrived, I found out that the pool closed to children at 7:00 pm and then didn't open the next morning until after we had to leave, so...kids were bored and disappointed.

Room did NOT meet expectations for the price (a $200 room in the middle of nowhere WA). My shower did not work. It was a hanheld type sprayer that was slit and sprayed water everywhere out of the showerhead. It took maintenance an hour to arrive then the helpful respsone, "it looks like it's broken and going to need to be replaced"...a project for the next day I assume. No rooms into which we could be moved. I went to an important presentation with pool water hair. When we were nearing check out and I recounted my experience at the resort, we were offered $25 off our next stay. When I told the our plans did not include a return to the resort, but asked instead if my children could be comped breakfast the answer was NO.

I will not be back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Marfa S, General Manager at Bonneville Hot Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you Tessa, for your feedback. I'm disappointed to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. Since our mission is to inspire the mind, body and spirit through tradition, health, diversity and compassion, we missed the mark with your stay. I would like to clarify the reason behind the pool restriction for children. They have full access to the pool and hot tubs until 7:30 every evening, after which time adults can enjoy the mineral water uninterrupted. We strive to offer a window of time where adults can have a peaceful experience in the mineral water. We are located in the Columbia Gorge, one of the National Geographic scenic areas of the world, down the road from the Bonneville Dam. I would love to discuss your stay further, feel free to contact me, my email address is marfas@bhsr.us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Naches WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We called from the road, thinking we had missed the turn and they guided us into the serenity of a wooded meadow with the most wonderful hot spring pools, one in the courtyard, open air, two smaller pools indoors with the olympic size pool and dry sauna. The grounds are beautiful and relaxing is taken to a new level when inside the doors of the Inn. My employer blessed us with a room with our own jacuzzi tub on the deck facing the forest - very relaxing and private. The people from front desk to wait staff are very accomodating and polite. I liked the quiet over all atmosphere in the pool house, quiet music and guests relaxing. The hot springs water does not have a sulfur smell and it left my hair & skin so soft. The air in the pool area was so refreshing w/out sulfur or chlorine. I plan on taking my mother-in-law who has sinus issues and enjoys swimming.

Room Tip: Other than aquatics & walking outside on the trails there are not exercise machines.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

we experienced excellent service from the receptionist to the spa services. The hotel was decorated for the holidays, and was beautiful. The 80 minute deep massage was the best I ever had! The food, and service was tasty and priced fairly. It was a great time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Colton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Had another recent opportunity to stay at the Bonneville Resort shortly after Halloween 2012. We had previously posted on Trip Advisor a horrendous encounter with Manager Vinne and his inept interaction after a botched reservation. His subsequent follow-up Trip Advisor posting did little to alleviate our trepidation on re-booking. We decided to book and felt much better after finding that Vinnie was gone, After arriving, we were booked into a Eastside Parking lot view after specifically requesting a hillside room. After contacting the front desk with yet another reason to worry about the booking procedures, they promptly moved and upgraded us to Hillside Suite ( I must say sweet is true!) Thank you Bonneville Staff for saving us, we are/were grateful!
My advice to fellow Trip Advisor readers, call after on-line bookings and confirm, confirm and confirm again :)

Room Tip: Northside hill views are about as private as anyplace we have ever stayed!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Carson, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed here last week. Certainly didn't want to leave. We reserved a room with a hot Tub on the deck (relaxing). My wife had a massage booked at 4:00 so to the hot Tub we went! Felt so good! Wife left for her massage and I was going to stay in the Tub but got out and fell a sleep on the bed. Went to the Dining Room around 7:00 and had a superb meal served by a smiley and helpful waitress. Was worried how I would sleep with a bad back. But the bed was perfect! In the morn'n had the best pancakes and then Hot Tubed till shower time. Was hard to leave cause yes-very relaxing. What the Doctor ordered!! Thanks...we'll be back!

Room Tip: you will enjoy your owm hot tub!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Upon arriving at the Resort we were not impressed. The decor both outside and inside looks like it has not been updated since at least the nineties. Our "courtyard" room did not look out onto a courtyard but rather a parking lot. I sprung the extra money for a hot tub on our porch which ended up being nice to have, but while relaxing in it I couldn't help but think about how I was paying 4-5 star prices for a room that was less attractive than a Best Western (all the while staring at the parking lot). The place is surrounded by the beautiful Pacific Northwest landscape, but it makes no attempt to integrate the surroundings with the hotel atmosphere, which seems like a missed opportunity. One exception is a wall of windows in the dining room that look out onto a lovely courtyard area (the courtyard I was hoping for). The servers in the restaurant were very friendly, unlike other reviews I have read. However, the food was overpriced (big surprise). The pool area was nice and our 3 year old had a blast in the children's pool and the larger pool. The water is lovely and makes your skin feel great. I didn't use the spa as I already felt ripped off by the room so I decided not to get a service. My husband was also hoping for a fitness room but it doesn't have one. After leaving, we decided to stop by the Skamania Lodge to check it out and found it was what had hoped for in terms of the lovely atmosphere with a Pacific NW feeling throughout, and the rooms are much more reasonable. We had a delicious lunch there as well. Next time we will stay there but head to Bonneville for day use to take advantage of the Mineral pools.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Loved the location of this resort! They have a beautiful indoor swimming pool, beautiful landscaping, super super nice employees, great spa, and the location in my opinion is perfect. It is just a 50 minute drive from Portland (note to the wise - be careful where you stay in downtown Portland - it's a little scary), about 30 minutes to Hood River, OR (town at the base of Mt. Hood). Make sure you go to these destinations from this resort: Multnomah Falls, Multnomah Lodge (great food - nice waiters), Vista House, Hood River (town), Mt. Hood, DO THE Fruit Loop tour! Make sure you stop at the Alpaca Farm on the Fruit Loop. Go to the Timberline Lodge that is right at the base of Mt. Hood. Mt. Hood is as scenic as Mt. Rainier. Mt. St. Helens is about a 2-hour drive north of the resort. It was great to come back from the best art festival I've ever been to in Hood River (eat at Brian's Pourhouse for dinner), and slip into the jacuzzi at this resort and swim till 10PM. Loved the location, the lobby is absolutely stunning, awesome pool, and the best thing about it were the employees who were so nice it was amazing. Great garden area at this resort too.

Room Tip: We did hear the people walking around on the floor above us so if this will bug you, stay on the top...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Bonneville Hot Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!