“Nothing but good experiences for me in the restaurant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Whistlin' Jack Lodge

Whistlin' Jack Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Naches
Whistlin' Jack Lodge
Save Saved
You added Whistlin' Jack Lodge to your Saves list
20800 State Route 410, Naches, WA 98937   |
Yakima, Washington
“Nothing but good experiences for me in the restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I recently stopped by for dinner on my way back from Mount Rainier. This is a tradition for our family after spending the day hiking in the national park. I have stopped many times and the food is always good.

Most recently I had a glazed pork loin which was exceptional. A small sample of soup, small salad and very large dinner roll came with it as well as roasted potatoes which were also very good. My son had chicken marsala which he said was good also.

Admittedly the service can be underwhelming but the view of the river with a window seat makes up for the wait or sometimes less than smiling service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Edgewood
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stopped in today 8/11/12, The place was not to busy maybe 25 customers, Dont know about the bar area tho- no matter we were told it would be a few minutes to order>> ok no problem, 15 minutes later we ordered, 30 minutes later we got semi warm food, 15 minutes later we recieved the rest of our order. Young man filling water went past us a few times, he finally filled 2 of the 4 glasses he never came back. Waitress was a bit snotty, deffinatley not a people person! heard her tell 3 customers that there was no room, but yet there were 8 empty tables??? That seated 4, Dont waste your time or money going here

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Now Whistlin Jack Lodge is not full of luxuries but its clean and is in an excellent position to explore Mount Rainer National Park. Its not fancy and has no television ( hooray ) but we enjoyed staying there. Its rustic and has character, don't go expecting 5 star because its not but if you stay in one of the riverfront rooms, with huge window seats which overlook the Naches river and want peace to chill out, then hopefully you to will enjoy your stay. We had 2 meals in the restaurant which were both good although not cheap. The deli is also good for snacks to take away if you just want a snack. Gas is also available. Like all accommodations and restaurants near a national park at times it can get busy so aim to eat early to avoid waiting etc.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Trenton, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Like another reviewer said, "Nothing to write home about." We didn't spend the night there. We only ate lunch. It was extreamly busy. Took forever to get our order taken. People were recieving food that I would have ordered, but it was not on the menu. The food was overpriced, and it was so-so. The waitress was not personable. Did not come back to check on us, but she checked on other tables close by. I will not be going there again anytime soon. My husband went back later for lunch again, and had a better experience when it came to service. That is why I am rating it an average instead of lower.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Olympia, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

We decided to spend at night at Whistlin' Jacks after reading an article in the Seattle Times about touring the area to enjoy the fall colors. The lodge and restaurant were both favorably mentioned and we decided to give it a try.

We started off our day with a hike in the Chinook Pass area, which is lovely and not to be missed. We enjoyed our 3 1/2 mile hike on the Naches Peak Loop trail-- beautiful day, beautiful scenery. After an afternoon of exploring we headed down to Whistlin' Jacks to have dinner and relax.

We understood that the lodge was pretty basic and we are not luxury travelers. That said, we found the place to be depressing. Technically everything seemed to be clean-- but I just couldn't shake the feeling that it wasn't. Perhaps it's because our room was so outdated and run-down. It just wasn't comfortable to hang out there.

We did enjoy the shared outdoor hot tub. Luckily no one else was using it at the time, as it is quite small. We were surprised that there was no sign up list for shared hot tub use.

We did eat in the restaurant (there is nothing else around!) for both dinner and breakfast. I must say my expectations were low and I was pleasantly surprised. The restaurant has a beautiful view of the river and the wait staff were helpful. While I did not expect many vegetarian choices I was surprised that the only veggie item on the dinner menu was a spinach salad-- I figured there would at least be a veggie burger or pasta dish! That said, the salad was actually pretty good. At breakfast there were more vegetarian choices, and my husband had a wonderful veggie eggs benedict. The food was a little overpriced, but not the greasy spoon I had feared.

Overall, our stay at Whistlin' Jacks wasn't bad. But was it worth it? For us it wasn't. We would have had a much more enjoyable trip if we had just headed back home after our lovely hike in the mountains. If you happen to end up in the area and need a basic, clean place to spend the night, go for it. I don't know that you'll find any better choices in the immediate area (besides camping). But if you don't really need to stay overnight in the area, don't.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Bellevue, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Took our grandkids to Mt Rainier for some hiking this summer...decided on Whistlin' Jack's because it was one of the closest places on the Yakima side of the mt. to stay and because my parents had actually honeymooned there 67 years ago to the day that we would be staying! Chose to stay in one of the cabins - very bad saggy mattresses and the tiny, not super clean bathroom left us all uncomfortable. The meals at the lodge were very pricey and were just OK. Alas, the lovely rustic atmosphere has finally worn so thin that it's not such a great place to stay or to eat anymore - and, unfortunately, with the prices staying at a 4 star level, we won't plan to go back. Sad to see a wonderful landmark of memories bite the dust.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Washington State
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

The lodge is not what it used to be. The place has certainly gone down hill from it's glory days. The hotel is run down. The food has really gone down hill too. Now the owner has told the locals to stay away. He only wants people coming from the valley. Apparently the locals know what it used to be too. I will not be going back there for the food or to spend the night.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Whistlin' Jack Lodge? Share your experiences!