“Not super” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Whistlin' Jack Lodge

Whistlin' Jack Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Naches
Whistlin' Jack Lodge
20800 State Route 410, Naches, WA 98937   |
Trenton, New Jersey, United States
“Not super”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Like another reviewer said, "Nothing to write home about." We didn't spend the night there. We only ate lunch. It was extreamly busy. Took forever to get our order taken. People were recieving food that I would have ordered, but it was not on the menu. The food was overpriced, and it was so-so. The waitress was not personable. Did not come back to check on us, but she checked on other tables close by. I will not be going there again anytime soon. My husband went back later for lunch again, and had a better experience when it came to service. That is why I am rating it an average instead of lower.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Olympia, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

We decided to spend at night at Whistlin' Jacks after reading an article in the Seattle Times about touring the area to enjoy the fall colors. The lodge and restaurant were both favorably mentioned and we decided to give it a try.

We started off our day with a hike in the Chinook Pass area, which is lovely and not to be missed. We enjoyed our 3 1/2 mile hike on the Naches Peak Loop trail-- beautiful day, beautiful scenery. After an afternoon of exploring we headed down to Whistlin' Jacks to have dinner and relax.

We understood that the lodge was pretty basic and we are not luxury travelers. That said, we found the place to be depressing. Technically everything seemed to be clean-- but I just couldn't shake the feeling that it wasn't. Perhaps it's because our room was so outdated and run-down. It just wasn't comfortable to hang out there.

We did enjoy the shared outdoor hot tub. Luckily no one else was using it at the time, as it is quite small. We were surprised that there was no sign up list for shared hot tub use.

We did eat in the restaurant (there is nothing else around!) for both dinner and breakfast. I must say my expectations were low and I was pleasantly surprised. The restaurant has a beautiful view of the river and the wait staff were helpful. While I did not expect many vegetarian choices I was surprised that the only veggie item on the dinner menu was a spinach salad-- I figured there would at least be a veggie burger or pasta dish! That said, the salad was actually pretty good. At breakfast there were more vegetarian choices, and my husband had a wonderful veggie eggs benedict. The food was a little overpriced, but not the greasy spoon I had feared.

Overall, our stay at Whistlin' Jacks wasn't bad. But was it worth it? For us it wasn't. We would have had a much more enjoyable trip if we had just headed back home after our lovely hike in the mountains. If you happen to end up in the area and need a basic, clean place to spend the night, go for it. I don't know that you'll find any better choices in the immediate area (besides camping). But if you don't really need to stay overnight in the area, don't.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Bellevue, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Took our grandkids to Mt Rainier for some hiking this summer...decided on Whistlin' Jack's because it was one of the closest places on the Yakima side of the mt. to stay and because my parents had actually honeymooned there 67 years ago to the day that we would be staying! Chose to stay in one of the cabins - very bad saggy mattresses and the tiny, not super clean bathroom left us all uncomfortable. The meals at the lodge were very pricey and were just OK. Alas, the lovely rustic atmosphere has finally worn so thin that it's not such a great place to stay or to eat anymore - and, unfortunately, with the prices staying at a 4 star level, we won't plan to go back. Sad to see a wonderful landmark of memories bite the dust.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Washington State
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

The lodge is not what it used to be. The place has certainly gone down hill from it's glory days. The hotel is run down. The food has really gone down hill too. Now the owner has told the locals to stay away. He only wants people coming from the valley. Apparently the locals know what it used to be too. I will not be going back there for the food or to spend the night.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
yakima washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

I have eaten and stayed many times the food is great and the atmosphere is awesome I've known shane since college and have been going to his lodge with my wife and family and I've never had a bad meal or service.. I would recommend his place to anyone to have a nice relaxing time or just for great food.

James Gamet

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

We stayed here for one night while visiting RNP. It totally fit the bill for us. Large spacious room with a nice view of the Naches River. A little outdated but clean and comfortable. We had an excellent dinner and the staff was very pleasent. It's a busy place but that didn't interfere with us at all. Although no phones in the room, the front desk will provide a courtesy phone if you have a calling card. No TV but who cares, we weren't there to watch TV. Nice place. I look forward to visiting again some day.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Gig Harbor, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

We were very disappointed in this hotel, especially after reading some of the previous reviews. We booked two nights so that we could travel into the nearby mountains. Upon arriving and finding out they had neither TV nor phones, or cell reception, we canceled the second night. The rooms are basically Motel 6 quality, but without the aforementioned amenities. They advertise a "quiet reading area," but no chairs were provided. The spa was locked up tight, so the only form of entertainment is looking out the window at the river, which is pretty, but gets old in a hurry. One of the biggest differences between a quality hotel and a cheap one are the beds. Whistlin' Jack's beds are low quality, and ours even tilted to the side. The bottom sheet isn't fitted, so it comes un-tucked in the night and wraps underneath you. I woke up with a back ache. The bathroom is decidedly below standard. The staff is mostly friendly, and the food is ok (3 out of 5 stars), but our waitress neglected to tell us of the evening's specials, and we didn't find out until the party at the next table was told. Also, beware of their cancellation policy! It's strict... ask first.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Whistlin' Jack Lodge? Share your experiences!