“Conveniently located” 3 of 5 stars
Review of White Pass Village Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Naches
White Pass Village Inn
You added White Pass Village Inn to your Saves list
48933 US Highway 12, Naches, WA 98937   |
Redding, California
“Conveniently located”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I was hiking the PCT and this lodging just happens to be at the trail intersection. I had made arrangements to begin and end my trip at White Pass. The customer service is terrible!!!! Both of the clerks were extremely unmotivated to provide even a tiny bit of service. Since these are condos with individual owners, the decor and accommodations vary significantly. Both rooms I stayed in were outdated and well worn but mostly clean. There was black mold around the fixtures in the tub of one room. The beds were comfortable in both rooms. The rooms were quiet.

Room Tip: Some rooms have bathtubs, microwaves, ovens, hot tubs. You need to ask for want you want in order to...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Phuket, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had a great time at White Pass. But the reason for my title and ranking is that in reality everyone in business has to account for real market factors and competitive options when pricing / managing their product. I'm in the resort business myself and I would be ashamed to show my face to our Guests if this was my property.

When planning this trip we had considered returning to Snowbird where we visited six months before but decided since White Pass is a better beginner area for my kids, rather than spend a day in the car getting to Snowbird (or someplace similar), we'd try White Pass. So I'm comparing White Pass to Snowbird and what we would have got there. The price of a studio condo at Snowbird is about the same as a 1 bedroom at White Pass, about $190/night including tax. But remember Snowbird is a rock solid 5 star slopeside world class ski resort and studio at Snowbird is (much) bigger than a 1 bedroom at White Pass.

To be fair, I'll start with the bad and then give a couple good points.

First problem size and design of units. As usual, when we arrived at White Pass I asked for the key to do a quick inspection of the studio unit we'd booked which was supposed to sleep 4. It was smaller than the smallest single room at Motel 6 I've ever seen. You would have to compare it to a room on a live aboard boat, not a condo. And also it was obviously not designed by anyone with an eye for efficiency and aesthetics. So I quickly inquired back at reception as we had $200 of groceries in the car, no time to look elsewhere, and a holiday that was about to fall apart. I was told we're "lucky" cause 1 bedroom unit just became available (wouldn't surprise me somebody showed up, took a look, and walked). It was just big enough that we could squeeze in (wife, 4 yr old, 1 yr old, and myself). That's when our price went from $140 up to $190/night. I would've walked but I was dead certain we'd get charged if we walked since this place won't take AMEX and insisted on Visa/MC. I knew if we walked I'd be in for a long chain of e-mails and forms and might end up paying anyway.

Next problem is service and amenities. They have zero services except the front desk where the two relatively friendly guys who run the place for the owner's association stand by to handle complaints, hand out towels, toilet paper, trash bags, etc.. I could have overlooked the size issue but when we realized we're gonna have to live like astronauts in a space capsule and clean everything ourselves including taking out the trash etc. I began to feel like we really got ripped off.

Any as other reviewers mentioned, the units are old and most don't appear to have been remodeled or upgraded in the last 15-25 years. There are some which look better than others, but unless you know exactly which unit is nicer when you book, it's a roll of the dice.

The good stuff is: property is slopeside, they have a heated pool which is great, in spite of the conditions etc. the atmosphere is pretty good since after overcoming sticker shock, most folks seemed to be having a good time, and the two guys at reception were fairly friendly (I got the feeling they can sympathize with the fact people feel cheated on the price).

So I generously slap a 2 ranking on this property cause the owner's need to wake up and make this property what it could be. I would say a thorough professional remodeling, add at least basic services, or cut price in half or less would do the job. Preferably a combination thereof.

Also, as mentioned in other reviews, the staff are relatively friendly. I spoke with them a little bit about the issues. It's important for folks visiting to keep in mind they don't make managerial decisions. When we checked out on of the guys went up to clean the unit and mentioned we hadn't taken the trash out, first I was irked, but I guess you wouldn't be too happy if you had to work there 18 hours / day clean up the checkouts, handle reservations, handle reception, etc. etc..

Another tip for management, it's easy to see the reservation chart on the wall. If they had a proper website with online booking and a proper front desk reservation system, they'd be able to increase occupancy by 30% to help make up for the necessary rate reduction and cut front staff costs to make up for the direly needed other services. This place is run like a motel from the 1960's same as the rooms look. You really need to wake up. Kicking myself right now for wasting 30 minutes of my time giving advice to these folks after getting ripped off here.

Happy Traveling at another place until management here rethink their marketing. Basically this place is a rip off.

Uncle Eric

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I would agree with all of comments stating that the decor is outdated. However, my girlfriend and I truly enjoyed the room (23). Although rather small, it was exactly what we needed for the night. The bed was surprisingly very comfortable. The unit had a microwave, stove, etc. for cooking. The staff was extremely friendly and made us feel at home.

I would recommend this for someone who is not particularly concerned about the decor of the place they are renting. For a couple like ourselves it was perfect for what was needed.

Room Tip: Our unit was on the bottom floor. You could hear the upstairs pretty easy - would recommend trying t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Walls are paper thin. I could hear my neighbor pee. Smells musty and is very cramped. No TV reception, only a tiny DVD with a 10" screen. Poor cell reception, no restaurants convenient.

Overall, wish I never got stuck here. Anywhere else is better.

• Stayed December 2012
Charlotte
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed here for only one night although we had booked two. We had two adults and three kids and our cabin felt cramped, somewhat dingy and outdated, but I think the mangement tried their best. TV was up to date and there were plenty of DVDs for the kids. Also, they loved the heated pool surrounded by snow. We had the best time skiing at White Pass. Went for April spring break and had the mountain to ourselves -- no lines at all!!! Also, we had to go down the mountain for restaurants.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Olympia, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Stayed here two nights with my family of four for a quick ski trip. The room we stayed in was outdated and cramped. For the price we paid, I expected a lot more. The carpet in the room was so dirty, I wouldn't walk on it in my bare feet! The high price you pay to stay here is for the location only. It is within walking distance of the ski lifts. The manager here is cranky and seems bothered by the guests. The hot pool was nice, the only reason we would come back. We enjoyed a hot soak after a long day on the slopes.

Room Tip: Make sure you request and get a fully renovated room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
SEATTLE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Stayed here for a ski week. There were two of us in a one-bedroom condo, and, although it was pretty small, it was just right for our needs. It was spotlessly clean, and featured a great view of the ski hill. Note that it was a small bedroom with a double bed + two bunk beds. For two people was fine; three or four would get pretty cozy!

There are ski lockers at street level, and it's just a short walk across the highway to the ski area.

You need to plan to cook for yourself if you're here midweek in winter - but that's OK, we didn't mind that.

Swimming pool at spa temperature is great, esp. in the snow!

Service was friendly and helpful. Be sure to look for "Nick," the very friendly office kitty.

We will be back!

• Stayed March 2012

Been to White Pass Village Inn? Share your experiences!