“College Inn a Pleasure” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Mount Vernon
Everett, Washington, Usa
“College Inn a Pleasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stayed two nights, and the facility and personnel were outstanding. They provided a perfume-free room; I have severe asthma sensitivity. The location is quiet and just off the I-5 freeway. We had a Kitchenette and were able to cook several meals, to accommodate our restricted diet. The bathroom sink stopper was stuck and the on-site manager fixed it quickly. I have to say that the attitude and friendlessness of all personnel was a real treat. This is also a pet-friendly hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWCollegeWayInn, General Manager at BEST WESTERN College Way Inn, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Margaret L,

Thank you for your kind review. We're happy we were able to provide you with a quiet, perfume-free room that met your needs and glad to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful during your stay. We hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you are in Mount Vernon.

170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

this hotel was clean and well kept, but the matress was a memory foam and very hot and sqishy, woke up with a sore back and did not sleep through the night at all. We did enjoy the trip and the location was perfect just off the freeway. Easy in and easy out and it is always nice to have a breakfast included. Not over the top but a very nice selection.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWCollegeWayInn, General Manager at BEST WESTERN College Way Inn, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear 868arlenev,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our property. We're sorry to hear that you did not get a pain free/good night's sleep due to the memory foam topper on the bed. (If you plan on staying again, please let us know. Only a limited number of rooms have the memory foam.) On the up side, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed our continental breakfast, convenient location and clean/well kept property. We hope to see you again when you are in the area.

Spokane Valley, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Hello

PLEASE RE-POST to all. Preventing Credit Card Scam is a CORPORATE responsibility.

So, leaving Spokane, Washington and arriving 200 miles later in the quaint town of Mount Vernon on our trip to be part of the Tulip Festival and visit the beautiful Tulip fields. While we did not set aside reservation we felt pretty confident that rooms would be available on Thursday night. Arriving around 10:30pm the Inn was poorly lit and I was skeptical to return after the previous year experience was VERY less than good.

The night clerk was a nice gal and set us up with a room on the bottom floor. Driving to the room we found VERY limited parking and weird like a space designed for kids toy cars not a real car.

The room was small, poorly constructed. There was SIGNS MOLD and a damp feeling. The wall paper was so poorly applied I just assumed a 10 year old did this room.

OK, so tired just adjust and get some rest. NOT SO FAST....

10 minutes into the room a call to the room 10:30PM is picked up. Supposedly this call came from BEST WESTERN CORPORATE saying the CREDIT CARD failed to pay. SAY WHAT?

Now I have spent most of my life in COMPUTER SECURITY my RED flag went up as I looked at the person on the phone. THIS IS A SCAM....get a phone number and call back. DON"T EVER give ANY INFORMATION OVER THE PHONE to ANYONE who calls you. GET a NUMBER, A BADGE and call back. This prevents the crime 98% of the time.

Well that wasn't what happened. Partial information was given on some information but no CREDIT CARD numbers.

The same person called the front desk, and then called our room at 11:00PM, SAY WHAT AGAIN! Are you kidding ME…. Hassling me at near midnight? OMG

The party wasn't over. In the early morning we got ANOTHER call saying we needed to have a conversation with front desk and demanding we head ½ naked to the front desk like NOW! OMG where is the CUSTOMER SERVICE? REALLY

OK, BEST WESTERN you REALLY want to PO ME, Serious? I will TWITTER, FACEBOOK, EMAIL this place into extinction..

When we get to the office 3 other people were in front of us. The customer service running the desk was asking everyone to check their CREDIT CARDS for problems. WHAT? ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

When I told her that their network was compromised and that person was here on the site, she told me her computer person was checking logs. SERIOUS! I told her I was a NETWORK SECURITY experts and would locate the problem in 10 minutes.

When I told her to take the network down immediately until the person could be located she told me SHE COULD NOT.

OK…………… LISTEN PEOPLE FIRST all GOOD ETHICAL BUSINESS now use encrypted CREDIT CARD PROCESSORS. This will be stamped in the CREDIT CARD MACHINE. LOOK FOR IT.

Here is what happens your CREDIT CARD that is processed without encryption is sent PLAIN TEXT. That is right your Credit Card Number, Address, Phone Number, Name. Sometime SSN.

If you use your card at this location you might as well POST IT TO FACEBOOK and TWITTER same effect. When you are bankrupt don’t forget to thank Best Western.

Here what REALLY PO me off, why didn't this location of CORPORATE acknowledge and attempt to leave the CUSTOMER with the knowledge of the potential DAMAGE they were causing. Perhaps a friendly VISIT to my LAWYER friends and seeking the damage and PUBLICLY having this printed in all the LOCAL papers would be a GREAT start. I would think Best Western would at least say they were sorry perhaps even comp the room and WIN these CUSTOMER LOYALTY BACK.

IGNORING the PROBLEM is WAKING THE GIANT and I am about to ROAR.

April 10, 2014 RM 128…… BEST WESTERN I would contact this PERSON IMMEDIATELY.

Dear Larrytwa2014,

Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for your experience at our property. We take personal information and security with the highest regard, as does our corporate office (which is actively investigating the situation).

We have confirmed that our Credit Card system was not breached and that the scammer was phishing for information solely via phone from our customers from approximately 8:00 pm and 9:00 pm on 4/10/14. As soon as this issue was brought to our attention, we immediately took our network off-line and contacted our corporate offices, credit card company, Comcast, computer technician and our reservation system vendor. We reached out separately to you and the other 3 guests that received a similar phone call in order to properly assess and address the issue. We also reported this to the police.

Again, we apologize for the discomforting experience. We can confirm this was not a credit card system breach, so hopefully there are no looming concerns about the security of your information. Furthermore, we have re-trained our front desk personnel to be more vigilante/hyper-aware of scam type calls and how to correctly handle these in order to ensure that this does not happen again.

We apologize again for your experience and hope it won’t deter you from visiting our wonderful town in the future. If you still have concerns, please contact our corporate office.

Spokane, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

4/10/14 we checked in after 9pm and before 10 pm my credit card info, address, rewards number and the room I was staying in had already been hacked. I received a call from a person saying they were with Best Western Rewards and there was a problem with my cc info not matching the records. They had all my info and wanted me to verify it and tried to cover it with a survey about complaints regarding this motel. I questioned them and they said the front desk would call me and verify who they were. They fooled the front desk not once but twice who called me and verified everything was okay. Needless to say the rooms are sub-standard for $100 per night and noisy - a restaurant is across the lot and receives deliveries in the early AM - Train whistles blow through out the night. The Manager called but was very casual about the whole incident, did nothing to help me - only after I asked if my cc was at risk and should I contact my bank did she confirm that I should (even though the front desk was already advising all of the other guests of a Problem) but told me there was no problem. I complained to Best Western Customer Service this only caused me to receive an email from the manager again trying to protect herself as to how there were no problems and they had contacted everyone (ie; Comcast, tech support etc. . . . ) like any of this help me after we lost our other reservations (including $$$$ deposits) for the remainder of our vacation and were without enough $ to finish our trip, even having to sleep in our car Sunday night to go to the bank on Monday to withdraw funds to pay for fuel to get back home.

Dear EscapeTrips,

Portland, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Room and amenities good, but smelled like OLD smoke. "Hot" water was cool at best. When mentioned to the front desk clerk, until pressed, she made no effort to take anything off my bill. I understand that these things happen, but better customer service would have been appreciated. Stayed here because it was closer to where I was meeting friends. Next time will stay at the other Best Western.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWCollegeWayInn, Manager at BEST WESTERN College Way Inn, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear Sharon G.,

We apologize for your room smelling like smoke. All of our rooms are non smoking, and we are sorry your room smelled like "old smoke." In regards to the cool water, around the time of your stay, one of the hot water pipes had burst and some rooms were without hot water for a few days. It has since been fixed, but we are sorry for the frustrations and inconvenience it caused. We also apologize for the poor customer service you received at checkout. Our goal is to provide superior customer service. Unfortunately, it appears that we missed our mark. We hope you will consider giving us a second chance the next time you are in Mount Vernon.

Port Angeles, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

This motel lives in the shadow of the Best Western Plus facility, not too far away in the same city. The College Way Inn should be treated equally, for, although more modest in dimension and facility, it is very practical and comfortable, also more reasonable in price. Everything was perfectly fine without all the little luxuries of a "Plus". Especally the fantastic mattress of the "Memory Foam" type should be mentioned, since it was one of the finest hotel mattresses I've ever slept on. Breakfast, too, not luxurious, but certainly more than average. GIve the place a try!

Room Tip: Nice outdoor pool for warm days.