“Mediocre burn” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Ferndale, Washington
“Mediocre burn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The building is a cool urban redo of the old granary & service was good, but the food was mediocre. My husband had lasagna & it was one layer w/hamburger-tomato mush & I had a shrimp salad w/their "special" honey mustard dressing. Sounds sweet, right? It was a burning horseradish dressing which I couldn't eat. However, my sinuses are now clear. It was a two-in-one trip for us: first & last.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Mount Vernon, Washington, United States
“Authentic Italian food made by Authentic Italian Alberto!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This place has been here for years. Alberto keeps it consistent with fresh pasta, great sauces, and AWESOME food. I especially like the way they make the Filet Mignon. You can cut it with a butter knife. The pasta sauce is simple, but I love it and always buy a little extra pasta to take home.
The prices are a little high, especially if you're drinking wine. The glass pours of wine are a little small so you end up needing an extra glass.
But the price is the only issue I have with this wonderful place. If I could afford it, I would eat there all the time.

Visited January 2013
Stanwood, Washington
“Excellent Italian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

I think someone else summed it up best, this is an Italian Restaurant that doesn't hide behind cloves of garlic. The food has incredible flavor throughout and the whole experience is worth taking in.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
La Conner, Washington, United States
“Great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

It had been a while since I had dinner here. Nothing had changed. This is my new favorite place to eat in Mount Vernon; hands down! Love this place. Great atmosphere, great service and last but not least GREAT food!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bellingham, Washington
“Always Worth A Stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Since we live within 50 miles and a regular route for us includes driving along I-5 past this restaurant, we've taken the opportunity to dine here several times over the past couple of years, lunches with just the two of us and dinners with our daughter, son-in-law, and three young grandchildren.
The atmosphere is pleasant and the service has been uniformly professional and friendly, whether it's been "just the two of us" or with very young children. The food itself is excellent. The wine list is more than adequate. We have stopped in early with our family and enjoyed their Sunset Dinner Special @$15.95, an excellent deal.

Our most recent lunch party included a grand total of eight of us, including a visiting restaurateur relative. As demanding as he is, he enjoyed his meal and the occasion.

We've spent a fair amount of time in Italy over the past dozen years and Il Granaio brings back good memories. It's obvious to us that a lot of care goes into the preparation and presentation. Bravo Alberto!

Amusingly, unlike another contributor I enjoyed my Bucatini Amatraciana so much that I ordered it again on a subsequent visit.

We always have a soft spot in our hearts for that hearty breed, the independent restaurateur. We're happy Il Granaio is in our general neighborhood and we're looking forward to future visits.

• Visited December 2012