“Best place in the Area” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Monroe
Portland, Oregon
“Best place in the Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Hi everyone, I highly recommend this place to anyone staying in the area. The place has great staff and very good breakfast in the morning! Every request for extra towels, TP etc were all met very promptly with a smile. I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: A very family friendly environment!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here this past weekend for a race. Nice and clean, no unusual smells, and people were friendly. We ended up staying here since it had the indoor pool plus the breakfast. Both were well worth the extra money over one of the other places we considered. I'll keep this place in mind for next time I have to stay in Monroe.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Hey all,

Had a good experience with these folks. Went up a day before to shorten the trip to Steven's pass with a couple buddies from college. Great location -- we were able to catch a flick at the movie theater and then get some lunch packed for tomorrow's skiing/snowboarding. It's about an hour away from Steven's so like I said, great location if you're looking to hit the slopes with a good night's rest. Didn't find anything wrong with the rooms. For the price we paid and the room we got, it was what we expected so no complaints.

They provide breakfast in the morning with a pretty good selection from cinnamon rolls and waffles, to cereal and fruit. They have a pool and a hot tub which we didn't take advantage of (weren't really in the mood) but certainly nice to have.

The front desk employee, Anita was very friendly from start to finish and made the check-in and check-out process seamless. Kudos to her because she asked us if we had AAA and saved us a few bucks each. The only other employee we encountered was the person in charge of the breakfast bar, but i can't recall her name (sorry!). She was very helpful as well and got us nice and full before the drive.

It looked like the only other hotel around the area was a Best Western so Monroe is a bit limited in choice, but I would stay here again just because the staff was friendly, the room was good for what it was, and the breakfast is free. I'd recommend this place to others.

Thanks,
James

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We made our reservations for a one-night stay at this hotel using one of the more popular online travel sites and got a small discount off the rate advertised on the GuestHouse website. At the time of the transaction, I requested an early check-in for 2 p.m. (standard check-in time is 3 p.m.). The travel site recommended that any such special requests be confirmed with the proprietor by telephone. I neglected to confirm this request, yet when we arrived, even earlier than expected, our room was ready. The front desk clerk offered a friendly greeting and actually seemed to be expecting us.

The lobby was attractive and comfortable featuring a fireplace and a small desk equipped with a computer and a printer. Free issues of USA Today were available for the taking. An elevator just off the lobby was a nice convenience as our room was on the third floor.

The room was clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. The king bed had four pillows, two soft and two firm. We slept very well. There was a modestly sized flat screen TV in an armoire and a clock radio at the bedside. There was one lounge chair and a small desk with an office chair, telephone, coffee maker and guest guide. The bathroom was clean and featured a large mirror, a tub/shower and a hair dryer. There was an ample supply of hot water and the water volume in the shower was sufficient despite being equipped with a “water saving” showerhead.

The pool area was clean and well maintained. There was a room adjacent to the lobby with a large TV and a view of the pool where a free continental breakfast was served. Breakfast consisted of a variety of cereals, bagels, cinnamon rolls, sausage, boiled eggs, milk, juice, coffee, fruit, yogurt and freshly made waffles.

I read some of the less glowing reviews this hotel had received from others. In our experience, all of the staff were friendly and attentive and the hotel was clean and quiet. It’s true that there were white, horizontal lines running through the TV picture on two of the local channels, but all of the other stations came in just fine. The internet signal was less than robust, but adequate. The closet was small and hanging items had to be tweaked at angle for the door to close. I cannot imagine how this issue could be resolved, but it is a minor inconvenience. There is a train that goes through town and it can be heard from this property, but we only heard it once in the late afternoon and I considered it a quaint reflection of the hotel’s rural location. At checkout I inquired about recent improvements and was told that the hotel was under new management. Those who had a bad experience in the past might want to give this place another try.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Monroe.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Don't get a room here if you would like to get some sleep. We could hear the people next door talking and even yawning! The room seemed clean but had an odd odor, as if they had used some "coverup" for a bad smell. When I asked the desk clerk for ideas about what to do in Monroe, she said "there's nothing to do in Monroe". She also did not have many ideas for restaurants. Very Poor!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Guesthouse Inn M, Front Office Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
I am sorry to hear that you did not get a good nights rest at our establishment! As far as the "odd odor" you described, as part of our outstanding housekeeping service we do use an air freshener in every room. This is used not to cover up a bad smell but is part of our effort to have our guests enjoy a clean and fresh room. We would be happy to give you a special offer to give us another chance in the future. Just call or write us anytime and we would be happy to assist.

Travelers are raving about these Monroe hotels

Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Customer Service is incredibly bad! My family stayed one night none of the staff would smile or even acknowledge you, I even said "Good morning" to several employees and did not receive a reply. Its like everyone there hates it and just don't care about there customers.

I accidentally forgot a pair of shoes in the room, I called about 2hrs later to request the shoes be return to me, the front desk clerk took my information and asked me if I wanted it charged to the credit card on file she said that they would be sent "Monday" by Thursday arrived I decided to call and check on the statue of the delivery at that time the attendant said that they will not return them until I sent the Fed Ex people she continued to say that too many people forget things and the Hotel ends up paying for shipping, I was not able to send for my shoes until a week later because of there failing to inform me of the problem. First of all, if I didn't call I would have never know about this policy, no one contacted me. Second, I had to open a Fed Ex account just to get my shoes back. So, DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING BEHIND AT THIS HOTEL.

The only good thing about GuestHouse Inn is they do have a very good morning breakfast, but again... the attendant there not friendly no smile not even talking to any of the Guest. The staff really needs to take a Customer service class.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Guesthouse Inn M, Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Firstly I would like to thank you for leaving a review. We cannot hope to improve without proper feedback from our guests.

We have made some changes to our staff and we are looking for areas that may have seen some neglect in the past. I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay, and were not shown a proper welcome. It is my goal to see that all of our staff strives to maintain a friendly environment for all guests. Also, in regards to your left behind items, I have taken this matter seriously and I am currently taking measures to simplify the process, improve communication, and make sure all of our employees know the proper procedure for handling this in the future.

I would love to hear from you, if you would like to discuss your past stay, if you noticed any other areas that may need improving, or if I can help you with anything in the future, feel free to contact me. You can reach me at 360-863-1900, if I am not in leave a message with the front desk agent and I will return your call as soon as I can. Or, if you prefer, you may email me at monroeguesthouse@gmail.com.

Charlinna Walser
Front Desk Manager
Morgantown, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Flew into Seattle to begin a massive, five day road trip. Monroe was perfectly situated for the beginning of our trek because we'd get onto Route 2 eastbound without negotiating Seattle traffic. Hotel choices, however, are limited here. GuestHouse seemed to be the best choice and we were quite satisfied. The pool area looked good, but we were too exhausted to use it. The breakfast was good and kept us going until lunch. The front desk staff was also excellent when we checked in. The only negative was the rate, it wasn't really any less than a hotel closer to the Seattle attractions, yet cost about the same. But limited supply probably drives up prices, fine, we still all got a great night's sleep and a great breakfast. I would definitely stay again and recommend to others.

Room Tip: Lots of families stay here, so the ends of the corridors are quieter
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to GuestHouse Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!