“Fabulous Customer Service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Marysville
Nanaimo, Canada
“Fabulous Customer Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We were a group of four girls who booked this hotel due to it's proximity to the Outlet malls as we intended to do some major black Friday shopping. We arrived at approximately 9:30pm and right inside the front door was a table full of gift bags filled with "rejuvenation snacks". Sandwiches, bagels and cream cheese, granola bars, cookies and nutrigrain bars. There were juice containers and nearby also more cookies and apples. Immediately I was impressed with the thoughtfulness of the hotel. We were told the shuttle would be there in 7 minutes and we dropped our bags in our room and off we went. The shuttle conveniently dropped us off and picked us up at the outlet mall. I was concerned because I am a light sleeper and we were on the first floor right across from the breakfast room. I was surprised that I wasn't awakened by the noise of preparation though we did get up very early to head out shopping again. We left the room at approximately 7:30am and didn't get back til about 3pm. Sadly our room was not cleaned in that period. We were exhausted from our lack of sleep so were there to take a nap when someone knocked on the door at about 4pm asking to clean the room. This was surprisingly late and because it was during our brief 90 mins that we chose to sleep, we did not get our room cleaned. We left again at about 5:30pm but our room was never cleaned. This was the only area that I was not impressed with. One of my purchases was a computer. It turned out that it was the last one in the store and it had been a floor model. I was ensured by the store that it would be cleared of info and ready to go but it was not. When I wanted to phone the store (only 20 mins away), it was long distance. I phoned the front desk and Meghan offered to come to the room with her cell phone to save me the expensive long distance charges. In my opinion this again was fantastic customer service and a very thoughtful act. Meghan was lovely, helpful and extremely pleasant at every encounter. The hotel is very lucky to have her. The breakfast was great, offering several options for every taste and never running low on anything. Aimee was always nearby if there was a question or problem and always smiling and happy. I am Canadian and always hear about how friendly Canadians are (which for the most part is true) but I must say that myself and the girls that I travelled with were very impressed with the extremely helpful and wonderful people we met in all the places we travelled, ate and of course especially at the Holiday Inn Express hotel and Suites, Marysville. I rarely experience this form of excellent customer service from hotels and shops back home. It's good, but this was phenomenal!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We had a leisurely morning and left the hotel room about 12 noon.
We returned late afternoon to a still unmade room.
I called the front desk and was grilled as to how it was my fault the room was not cleaned.
Once she heard it was about noon that we departed I was informed that they check the "Do not disturb sign " on the room until about noon. I was told that the cleaning staff had departed for the day. I was asked if I needed towels or garbage taken out. I am a bit of a clean freak and at home. I make my bed daily and live in an orderly fashion. When I travel I like the fact that someone else is doing the bed making and cleaning. Extra towels doesn't clean the tub or make the bed. My wife cleaned the tub so we could use it again. Did I mention this was a Honeymoon Suite? Wife not happy, no Honeymoon! I have on occasion had leisurely mornings and have found a note on or under my door mentioning cleaning and the "Do not disturb sign". When I receive these I will inform the desk upon departure for the day that the room needs cleaning.
Did I mention this was a honeymoon suite? It reminded us that we had an issue at this property the previous year. Something small and we can't remember what. Something minor that you right off as a small issue and forget. Combined and the attitude of the front desk at how it could of been our fault and not theirs will have us avoiding this property in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Marysville, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Dave D,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It is very regrettable to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. It sounds like we fell short of our goal due to the unsatisfactory housekeeping and front office services. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your comments are very important to us and we are confident the hotel management will take necessary actions to improve our guest satisfaction.

Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Florianopolis, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

After six hours driving from Canada we were tired to follow to Seattle. Next day, we intend to go to the Tulalip Premium Outlet for some shopping too. The hotel is conveniently located near that outlet.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Langley, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed here for two nights October 18 - 20, 2013 and it could not have been a better choice. We wanted an alternative to the Casino hotel. We had to change bookings and Megan on the desk was so helpful. We arrived at 3 to check in and finally met Megan - always great to put a face to a name on the phone. Previously we have travelled Best Western exclusively but no more. The two queen bed room on the fourth (top) floor was great, clean, well equipped and quiet. Yes, the cookies are a welcome sight for a snack before going out for the evening.

Amie and Kristi in the breakfast buffet do an absolutely fabulous job in a small kitchen. You would be hard pressed to buy a better breakfast. These 2 girls rock - constantly replenishing the buffet with sausages, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy (best I have ever had) and always with great humour and a smile.

Will definitely return soon. Thanks to all the staff who made this a really great experience.

Looked at the pool which looked so clean and inviting but given that is was a blanket of fog outside not conducive to swimming!!

Only 1 negative comment probably common to all such hotels - HVAC very noisy.

Vancouver Canada

Room Tip: If you can get the top (floor) as in any hotel - much better and quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We always stay here when we are in the States. The rooms are very spacious and clean, and the AC unit is wonderful. My husband needs a cool room, and most hotels don't offer that year round. Wifi is great. We love staying here. The staff is so friendly, and there are little touches, like cookies and apples at reception area, which are small but very much appreciated. Applebee's is just around the corner and you can take a free shuttle to the casino. We loved the Thai restaurant that was just across the parking lot, but sadly it has closed down. 24 hr Walmart and outlook mall are close by as well. The only thing I wish was better is the price. It is a little pricy. I normally try to book weeks in advance, the price is a little better but sometimes I do not know when we are going. But it is definitely one of our favourite hotels that my whole family goes to.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Marysville, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
CanadaDreamcatcher,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review. I am extremely happy to hear we are your favorite hotel! Yes, our rates tend to be a little higher due to our location to the Tulalip Casino and the Seattle Premium Outlet. However, you can find some great rates during the winter (off-peak) months. Again, thank you for your great review and we hope to see you soon!
Golden, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The hotel had many postives, clean, great beds, awesome breakfast. Actually quite quiet given the proximity to the freeway. At $175 plus tax it was little overpriced. I suppose that is because of the location near the Seattle Premium Outlet Stores.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Marysville, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dogtooth1947-
I am so glad to hear you had many positive experiences while staying out our hotel. It is true our hotel tends to be slightly higher priced because of our close proximity to the Tulalip Casino and Seattle Premium Outlets. Be sure to check us out during the winter months when we have some great deals. We look forward to your return visit.
Williams Lake, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Didn't have a reservation, but pulled in when we saw the sign. Fabulous staff at the front desk. Very clean, comfortable room. The breakfast buffet included in the price of the room was a great surprise - choices that would make everyone happy! I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
travel_diva763,

Thank you so much for your recommendation of our hotel! I am happy to hear you had a great experience and we look forward to your return visit.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Marysville? Share your experiences!