“not bad for an older inn” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Lynnwood
Red Deer, Canada
“not bad for an older inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

this place is a little dated but not bad if ur just sleeping.

breakfast a little skimpy compared to what is now being offerd for breakfast. Coffee is awsome though.

get up early to drive to seattle traffic is bad

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — outdated
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Grand Junction
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

This hotel is old and tired. Don't let the nice cars in the parking lot and decent landscapping fool you. The owners are clearly not investing back into this property . We booked a hotel in Lynnwood, WA the same day we were to check-in. We wanted a three-star rated or better. To our surprise we found one through Hotwire for $112, all in. When we checked into the so-called 3-star Best Western we were surprised to hear one of the two desk clerks on the phone giving a quote for that night of $105 plus tax. We then went to the room and couldn't believe that this was a 3-star. It was the kind of room that when you walked in, you had an immediate urge to pull down the bedding and check for cleanliness. Yes, the sheets appeared clean but you still couldn't tell if the sheets were fresh. We looked under the (aged) beds and found a cigarette butt. Every VISIBLE part of the room appeared wiped down but still questionably clean...I hope you get the picture. I called Hotwire and explained my two complaints, 1) this is NOT a three-star quality hotel. 2) There is only a $4 discount by booking through Hotwire. The clerk so desperately wanted to help us but kept sticking to company policy. Hotwire - "Is the room clean and comfortable?" Me - "That's subjective. Yes it appears functional and "Motel 6" clean but nowhere close to any reasonable expectation of a 3-star." Hotwire -"You don't receive as big of savings booked on such short notice." Me- "I understand that but is Hotwire telling me that a $4 savings by booking through them meets the spirit and intent of what they're selling and building their business on?" Hotwire - "I'm sorry; the savings isn't as great when booked on short notice." Me - "I gave up my right to inspect the hotel for quality and cleanliness and cancel the reservation for any reason for a $4 savings?" Hotwire - "The best I can offer is a $25 credit for FUTURE bookings at Hotwire." Me - "If we can't find some resolution to the current booking, there will be no future bookings." You get the idea. 45 minutes of a good customer service representative wasting her talents with a company with poor customer friendly polices. Yes I've used Hotwire in the past with very mixed results but this one was just too much - completely misleading quality rating on this hotel and effectively no discount/value by booking through Hotwire. It's a Friday night and the Embassy Suite just a few minutes away is packed...this hotel is nearly empty...and for good reason.

• Liked — Locatin
  • Disliked — Old and tired hotel
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
British Columbia,Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

We booked this stay at the Best Western Alderwood utilizing Gold Crown Club bonus points, the reservation process was easy and effective and we were looking forward to our King Room.

We wre thrilled to hear on our arrival that we had been upgraded to a King Jacuzzi room, a larger, top floor room with a vaulted ceiling, skylights and of course a Jacuzzi tub.

As a frequent visitor to Best Westerns I know that service and pricing are always in line with the chain's requirements. The Alderwood met and beat our expectations without regard to the free upgrade, the upgrade just made a good experience that much better.

• Liked — Very good Continental breakfast, no paper plates or plastic forks/knives.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Yakima, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

I just returned from a conference at the Lynnwood convention center. The Best Western is a short walk from the convention center so that was great. It is also located right next to I-5 north and south making it very convienent. The room was small but clean and it had a small fridge, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron, and a microwave. The one problem was with the shower. It was very hard to regulate the cold and the hot and most of the time it was very very hot or very very cold. I was also disappointed at the continental breakfast. There were hardly any choices. It was either waffles or toast. I have stayed at other Best Westerns (Lake Chelan) that put on a great spread.

• Liked — The location was next too the convention center.
  • Disliked — The shower.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Spokane
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2008

We were booked into this hotel by a business associate who was apparently shopping for the lowest price, not amenities. While the location is great - just a few blocks from Washington state's largest shopping mall and many good restaurants - the hotel's amenities leave a lot to be desired.

We like to work out daily. We looked online at the hotel's photos before we arrived and had the impression of a nice workout room. In reality it's a ten-by-ten room (if that) with one antique stair-stepper that is awful, an old treadmill that we couldn't get to work, and a weight machine. All three are crammed into a tiny space that looks larger in photos because it's lined by mirrors. When we stepped in, it was freezing - the heat is kept off except when someone goes in there.

The website also gives one the impression that each room has a fridge. We called ahead and were told they couldn't guarantee a fridge at all. They'd see what was available when we actually checked in. We paid $10 extra per day for a "kitchenette" room - a king studio with a tiny fridge and an even tinier microwave, the smallest I've ever seen - not even tall enough to fit my grande latte cup. There's a kitchen sink, two plates, two bowls, one spoon, two forks, and two knives. The maid does not do dishes. There's no dish soap or paper towels or anything else except a toaster and empty cupboards.

Don't even think about getting into the pool or hot tub except in good weather. The pool is outdoors and "seasonal." The hot tub is also outdoors - in Seattle, where it rains so much! Unreal.

Our room came with one tiny lotion, one tiny shampoo, one bar of soap, and the bare minimum of towels for two people. Fortunately it also has two sinks, which is one of its nicest features.

The room itself is okay. It looks recently refurbished, although not terribly clean. I just found a dead fly on the counter. The bedspread is badly pilled on the underside, which you turn down to sleep. The TV is the old-style curved square screen, not the newer HD flat screen so many hotels are transitioning to. You can't turn it so it can be seen from different angles. Plug-ins are hidden behind heavy furniture. I practically had to stand on my head to get to them. Be sure to bring EXTRA outlet plug-ins.

Breakfast includes fresh waffles you make yourself in those beeping waffle machines; pre-peeled boiled eggs (ick); packets of dry oatmeal; brownish bananas; apples; orange and cranberry (?) juices; milk; bread and English muffins for toasting; and a few other things that didn't interest me. The coffee is good and seems to be readily available all day. Or better yet, there are three Starbucks located within five minutes' drive.

One of the nicest things about this hotel is the free Internet access, which I'm using right now to post this review.

Bottom line: If you want a low-cost hotel that's conveniently located, and you don't care at all about amenities, this is your place.

• Liked — Free Internet access
  • Disliked — Disappointing amenities such as workout room and hot tub.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2007

We stayed here in October for a shopping weekend. This was about what I expected it to be. The rooms are a good size and ours was in good condition and clear. The breakfast the next morning was okay. Not a huge variety but everything you need for a quick breakfast.

The check in staff I had were fine and one was very helpful with nearby restaurants. She was following company policy to the letter to the point it was annoying. Friends checked in right with us and the room was still in my name, as I had made the reservation, but she would not give me their room number. I understand the need for privacy but it was a bit too much.

One complaint was the noise level. The people beside us were talking, not yelling or partying, just talking and we could hear everything. So the walls are paper thin.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
Surrey, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

This was an ok hotel for a 1-night stopover-the rooms were generally clean and large(we stayed here on the way down and back from the Oregon Coast). It was very quiet. The problem I had was at check in, (past check-in time), and our room was not ready, nor were any on the top floor, and would we like to wait an hour?-umm, no. They "found" us a room on the top floor as requested , after I balked at the idea of waiting. I agree with the last reviewer that it seemed like guest requests of any kind "incovenienced" the less-than-professional front desk staff. The breakfast was good though, but ends at 9am on weekdays, so if you like to sleep in, that may be an issue. The room overall was clean and large, but be sure to request a room in the non-smoking wing on the top floor.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — front-desk staff attitudes
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN Alderwood? Share your experiences!