“You've Changed!” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Bellingham, Washington
“You've Changed!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I wrote a review for Cassoulet Cafe back when it first opened. Sadly, the chef who established it moved on months ago and the quality has diminished significantly. I can no longer give it the same rating I gave back when it had such promise.

Our recent experience proves my point. The bacon cinnamon roll, phenomenol under the old management was dry and barely had any sign of bacon.

Our brunch items, mine the chicken and waffles, was just aweful. The fried chicken looked as if it had been fried in motor oil and the waffle were mangled as if the cook had trouble priing it out of the waffle maker. My wife fared no better with her choice.

Sad to say this little cafe has fallen on hard times and deserves avoidance at least for the time being.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

56% Recommend
Lynden, Washington
“Average Restaurant with Expensive Pricing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This restaurant sounded interesting so we had bought a coupon. Went for the Sunday brunch and had the Eggs Benedict accompanied with some greens. The food was definitely only average - the price was quite high end. We have had better Benedict for $3-5 less at other locations.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lynden, Washington
“Wonderful Lunches!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I was participating in the Heritage poultry class across the street and received a recommendation for Cassoulet. Lovely music when I walkke in and the server was quite helpful in picking out a wine pairing. 9 different reds and 8 whites for a 30 seat place...pretty good. I had the lavender gimlet in the end which was very refreshing. For lunch the Halibut chowder was suggested, freshly caught from Wednesday? Sure!

Delish does not even come close to describing it. And the bread! They need to start marketing their bread to other places. I ended up purchasing a loaf to take home.

I've read the reviews, was wondering what I would en up with. Seems the departing of Claycamp and the addition of Chef Woods in December was a brilliant choice. Can't wait to come back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Custer, WA
“Disappointing...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stopped here a month ago after hearing mixed reviews, have been meaning to try it since they opened, but couldn't find it the first three times we drove by, it is hidden in the corner of a very boring strip mall. We should have left as soon as we walked in the door, the smell of hot metal and grease from the kitchen had permeated the dining room. There were two other people seated eating lunch, we waited several minutes before the waitress came out of the back...

Very limited menu for lunch, no cassoulet which is what I wanted to try.

My knife was dirty, second reason why we should have left. My husband ordered a glass of merlot as listed on their wine board. Sorry, that's the only wine that wasn't delivered in our order...third reason why we should have left. The waitress suggested another wine which was fine. She then proceeded to list all the things that "weren't" available because they were sourcing locally and it was out of season...Please don't tell me what you don't have, tell me what you have. Nothing on the menu appealed to us, carrot soup was the offering of the day, so we decided to have the $11 hamburger. Yes, $11 dollar hamburger. She didn't ask how we wanted them cooked, came back with a plate with a small plate of mini greens, and a goose egg shaped piece of hamburger on two slices of bread that had been fried in butter to the consistency of a salad crouton. The meat was so well done it could have bounced off the floor, no juice left in it, and unseasoned, it made me think it had been partially cooked and then reheated. We could not eat the bread, it was so hard, and when we opened it up, the burger was completely encased in a cheese though there was no mention of that on the menu, it merely said "hamburger."

The best part of the meal was the small pile of greens dressed with a nice dressing, and the wonderful cornichons that came in a small dish as garnish. I ate mine and my husband's, then asked the waitress if they made them in house . She said they didn't because pickles were too hard to make...then proceeded to tell us that they were pickling other vegetables that weren't ready yet, so they also weren't available...She then told us that they call the pickled veggies they make, "cocaine pickles", not because they have drugs in them, but because they are so addictive. Tasteless comment.

For ELEVEN dollars, I was expecting to have the best hamburger ever! Instead, it was the worst. The waitress never mentioned that the meat was locally sourced, grass fed and in house ground...she also didn't ask us how the meal was at any time during our experience there. We would have shared our disappointment at that time. Left a tip even though I felt we shouldn't have, felt sorry for them it was such bad food and a poor experience. There are too many good restaurants in Bellingham, we would never visit this place again!

By the way, the other couple had a coupon...lucky them!

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Washington
“New and Fabulous Cassoulet Cafe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stopped by Cassoulet Cafe for Sunday Brunch on our way to Seattle and found it to be an outstanding experience. We were warmly welcomed at the door and even though we were likely the first customers of the day, the coffee was hot and the smells were delicious. The food was extraordinary, all made from fresh local ingredients. I started with a Bloody Mary made from scratch. Tasty! My husband had Eggs Benedict and I took the waitress recommendation for a richly cheesy egg dish served on house made sourdough bread. The little red potatoes HAVE to be mentioned. These small little bites size potatoes were cooked and seasoned just right, with a slightly crunchy outside and a little bit of salt. Perfect! This is a great place to stop, even if a bit out of the way. If you are traveling from the Vancouver area to Bellingham OR if you happen to live in the area and are looking for a great meal, give Cassoulet Cafe a try. You won't be sorry!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Cassoulet Cafe? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Cassoulet Cafe, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.