“Great Mandarin in Lynden” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 51 Restaurants in Lynden
Cuisines: Chinese
Bellingham, Washington
“Great Mandarin in Lynden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Drove to Lynden for Mandarin food and was not disappointed. We ordered Mu Shu pork, garlic chicken, and a scallop dish. All of the tastes were distinctive, the scallops were not hot, aside from that it was excellent food. An oddity of this establishment, all entrees are served as meals, no ala carte dishes which brings the price up if you like to order variety to share. The wait staff was warm, friendly and attentive. The restaraunt is clean, a bit sparse, definitely family owned, and overall, a must if you like Mandarin.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

60% Recommend
Lynden, Washington
“Great Food, but really bad overall experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I love the food at this restaurant, get take-out from them often, but really have to ding them on a couple of things from my visit yesterday.

1. Got the order wrong, and didn't compensate me for having to make a second trip to get it right. The young woman who took the order was apologetic, but she charged me for the missing/incorrect item. I couldn't believe she didn't comp the order for her error.

2. Frequently, when visiting this restaurant, there is a very young girl, presumably a granddaughter of the owners, who is there in the customer area, coloring, watching a DVD or something of that nature. This, alone, is inappropriate, but tolerable. Last evening, there was another girl, slightly older, also there, and the two of them were chasing each other all over the dining area, one with a plastic bat, and the other with a Styrofoam shield. They were screaming and having a great time, but it was terribly disruptive and wholly inappropriate. I couldn't believe the owners were allowing it to continue. If grandchildren are supposed to be "watched" by the owners, there needs to be a room in the back where they play.

I'm VERY disappointed in yesterday's visit to this restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington
“Great Food! Great Price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We ate at the Lynden Mandarin Restaurant and loved it! We eat a predominantly vegan diet and were excited to see a great selection of dishes that worked for us. Even better yet was the quality of the food. We started with edamame and spring rolls, then had Sizzling Tofu and Moo Shu, again with Tofu. It was outstanding! The sauces were excellent, not too heavy. The vegetables were cooked just right. Portion sizes were so generous that we had left overs for lunch the next day. I also have to comment on the sweet and attentive wait staff. To say "sweet" seems odd in a restaurant review. But it aptly describes the pleasant smiles and the care that they put into our service. This is a small restaurant in a small, quaint town. But the food has big city quality at an extremely reasonable price We loved this place and will make it a regular stop on our way home!

• Visited March 2013
Lynden, Washington
“Excellent Food, but needs a little atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The only thing this place needs to move from good to great is a little physical atmosphere. It's an open eating area, with booths around the outside, and tables down the middle.

Now, that said, the food was outstanding!! I had the special; Cashew Chicken, Sweet & Sour Chicken, Egg Roll, Fried Rice, and Egg Flower Soup. It was excellent! My wife had Orange Chicken, Steamed Rice, and Egg Flower Soup. She said it was the best Orange Chicken she has ever eaten.

What distinguishes this chicken from other Asian restaurants' chicken is that they breaded the entire chicken breast, prepared it to the correct flavor/variety, and THEN sliced it. It was moist, flavorful and filling. The fried rice was fine, but I've had better. The service was very good, serving sizes generous, and the prices reasonable.

My wife and I have hesitated eating here since moving to Lynden (18 months ago), because it is never busy, and that makes us suspicious. But WOW!! It was really quite good! If the owners were to invest just a bit in "warming up" the atmosphere, I think this restaurant would take off.

If you like Chinese, are in the Lynden area, this is a good place to try. I'm going to try General Tsao's on my next visit. I like spicy, and want to see how they handle that one.

• Visited August 2012